A tooth question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
Yesterday while cleaning my fillies stall, I found what appeared to be a tooth or a bone. I know it is not a bone from my horse so it is either a tooth she lost or something that was in the bedding.

It has 4 little craters in it with a point coming up out of one of the craters. On the other side it has little grooves that are dark in color. No roots or anything. Do horses teeth have roots? On the side with the little grooves, it is smooth. It is about 3/4 of an inch in size. I would like to take it to my vet to see if it is a tooth but I probably won't have a chance to get down there anytime soon. And I certainly hope I won't need him here anytime soon either.

My husband seems to think it is a tooth. She is at the age where she could be losing and getting new teeth.

I hope it is as I would like to keep it in a special place like I use to do when my kids would lose their teeth.

Would post a pic but my camera is not the best and it would probably not really show it well.

it is probably just a cap (baby tooth), nothing to worry about, check her mouth to see if she has a tooth that looks like it is just coming in, if there is it probably came off of that one. as for keeping them, i kept all of my QHx's baby teeth he is 9 years old now, he was my first baby, everyone said i was gross for keeping them but i dont care

I just scanned two caps that I have found. Hope this helps you out.

tooth.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At what age do they loose thier caps?? On average? Just wondering??? I had one loose it at 7. Is that too old??

They should be shedding there caps at/around 2-3. My two year old stallion has cap city going on in his mouth right now, but cant seem to find anybody to come out with small enough tools.

The smallest in my picture above is from my 7 year old mare. She lost it last year. My minis are power floated every year. She lost it a couple of month after last year's float.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your replies. I decided to take it to my small animal vet to look at (my equine vet is an hours drive away). They told me it was a cap of a tooth.

Misfitminis, the picture you posted is what it looked like. Thank you very much for posting the picture.

Now I have a special momento of my sweet little filly to put in a special place. I kept all my dogs baby teeth, that I could find, when they started coming out too.

My daughter collected all the teeth she used to find out in the paddocks and put them in a paper bag for years..once when l cleaned up her room l spilled that bag so decided to put all those teeth into a plastic tub for her. Not good after a few months she went to add a tooth and the teeth in there had worms living on them. Lack of air and plastic l think weren't a good choice.

Horses start shedding caps at two, and this goes on for a while, while the mature teeth begin to come in.

The pics there are definitely teeth.

A horse should not still be shedding caps at 7- I am surprized that whoever did your floating didnt 'pop the cap' and get rid of it to allow the growth of the good tooth underneath!! They should be done shedding teeth by about 5 years.

Latest posts

Back