A TIP FOR SELLERS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just passing on something I've learned in my business, which has nothing to do with horses other than it keeps me in them :bgrin

You want to make it as easy for a would be purchaser to decide to be a purchaser. If you put up obstacles, such as not even knowing if they can afford the horse, they usually won't pursue the horse you have for sale. It's important to realize, there are A LOT of horses for sale, so you always have a lot of competition.

When I am selling a horse I don't necessarily have the same price on them for every person. I might let one go for a little bit less to a show home where it will go out, be seen and bring in more money for me in the future. When contacted by a buyer my first question is what are you looking for? If I am replying to an ad where someone has already told me what they are looking for I will provide pictures of several different horses at different price ranges. Let them inquire about which of them they are interested in and then talk to them. Once you get a feel for the kind of person you are dealing with and their future intentions you can set a price. I don't as a buyer ask the price first. Whether or not the price is listed on the website or ad I will still inquire if I am interested because you just never know whether it is affordable or not - never hurts to ask!

I totally agree with Gordon on this one.

Also, a HUGE hot button for me, is PLEASE put something in the subject line that says you are looking for a horse, or want to talk minis, something. The blank subject line emails are always deleted by me as I just don't trust them when I don't recognize the email addresses.

Good points from all!!! :aktion033:

Also, a HUGE hot button for me, is PLEASE put something in the subject line that says you are looking for a horse, or want to talk minis, something. The blank subject line emails are always deleted by me as I just don't trust them when I don't recognize the email addresses.
I soooo agree with this one, I do the same thing. Please always put something in the subject line.

I agree with you. When a seller starts questioning my price range it makes me feel like they assume that I can't afford to buy anything then "pet quality". I went to one farm when I was buying in November and they out right told me I didn't want these specific horses because the price was too much for me, and they are for someone interested in showing. First off I had just finished working a job that was paying me 12.50 an hour and I worked 11 hours a day, 12 days on 2 days off. heck I had the money but people assume things, I'm 18 with blue hair and a large amount of piercings, I guess it's expected. But even still maybe the seller should be more interested in if you keep the horses you have now up to date on vaccinations and workings, medical backrounds, the care your going to give, referances, and the housing for the horses instead of jumping straight to saying how much can you pay? I do agree with the fact that sellers don't want to waste their time when someone is just looking for a "cheap horse" but maybe there's a better way to ask about price range

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back