a plea! to newbies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitsy

Reaction score
This is a plea to those of you who haven't been around the minis very long. I bought back one of the most beautiful mares I ever owned. When she stepped off of the trailer I couldn't believe my eyes, I just wanted to CRY. She was a skeleton with a little skin and a lot of raggy hair attached. You can feel her spine from her tail to her withers, her hip bones are sticking out and her neck is soooo sunk it's sick. There was no glitter left in her eyes and she looked like something my dog would drag home
default_wub.png
: These were good caring people who loved their horses, they just weren't paying attention. They never weaned her baby and obviously never increased their food as the baby grew and ate more and continued to suckle off of momma. PLEASE!! Pay attention, they get such a thick coat that I understand it is hard to see whats going on, USE YOUR HANDS, feel your horse from time to time in the winter to make sure that there is still some meat on those bones. Thank you for letting spout off, if it helps one horse from ending up like this, it will be more than worth it. I'll attach a picture of what she used to look like.

pj04.jpg

Here's a picture of her I took yesterday. It is hard to tell through the hair coat.

pjreturns.jpg

Yes, this is definately the same horse, hard to tell huh? Her shoulder marking looks different because she has it soo rubbed out that it appears white, just very little hair. I haven't found any lice, thank goodness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to have a photo of what she looks like now? I don't enjoy seeing it but I LOVE when people post photo's of their "skin and bones" and then again in 6 months or so when they're back to being fat and healthy =)

I am so glad you got this mare back, she is beautiful!!!

p.s. I love the horse in your avatar!

edited 3-31-06:

Oh my GOSH you have to be kidding me...that poor mare...if I were to take one look at her and not look back, she does NOT look at all like how she used to...that poor mare, she's full of hair but you can tell she just looks so depleted! I too check my mini's several times a week and I get upset if I feel hips, ribs or backbone. I mean, there's some backbone now but with summer workouts etc. that'll disappear under layers quickly, nothing like the work and attention this poor mare is going to need. Bless you for bringing her back home! It's good to see she is back in good, knowledgable hands.

I'm so sorry that your mare is in such bad shape, Bitsy.
default_sad.png

My farrier told me about some people, who should KNOW better (they've had big horses for ages and have had minis for years and years!) that one of their geldings is like a skeleton under his winter hair. My farrier got "in their face" and told them to FEEL that poor horse's bones, and to start FEEDING him more. It's not that difficult to feel through the hair at least a couple times a week (or more) to see how a mini's condition REALLY is. I have well over twenty horses and I do it, I check several horses every day, then different ones the next, etc.

Sorry for going off on a rant, but this is very important to EVERYONE to do and be aware of, since winter hair can hide so much.

Bitsy, I hope that your mare will recover in good time (don't try to rush it). Poor girl....

I am a newbie, and I promise that there won't be a day that goes by that I won't be "feeling" my horse. I just want to do everything right for her. Poor thing, she's gonna be so sick of me fussing over her.

I also think the mare is beautiful, and that the horse in your avatar is the most beautiful horse I've ever seen.
default_yes.gif
:

I believe EVERYONE should feel thier horses everyday, or aleast once a week.

I have purchased miniature from long time breeders who were skin and bones. One I have had for almost a year and she is still too thin for me, but is bred and she can not eat eough to put any more wieght on at this point. She came off the trailer so thin ,I was shocked! The same breeder told me my horses are all too fat.

It's not just newbies that do not feed thier miniatures it breeders too thinking that THIN will pass for REFINDED! Or are they thinking we all do not know the diffence!

Your post should be a plea to everyone not just newbies!

Bitsy,

So sorry to hear the condition the mare is in, I'm sure in no time she'll be fit and sassy under your care.

I just don't understand how a mini could get so skinny; fat yes, but not skinny. Relatively speaking, they eat so little. But, we really need to watch who we tell "they can live on air" to, some people may take it seriously.
default_wacko.png
:

I feel all of mine are either just right or a little pudgy. My one mare looks down right skinny, but she came to me obese, so seeing her thin like she is now is just something to get used to (she does not have a rib or a bone poking out anywhere, I feel her every week or more often).

I have a full-size senior gelding that I have to feel every week to be sure he's fleshy enough; he's almost as wooly as the minis are (he's always grown a thick winter coat). The other full-size horses, it's easy to see that they are just right, they aren't wooly, but do have a good winter coat (I check them periodically by hand just to be sure).

Is that the same horse? I hate to say it but the pinto markings are different on the shoulder, and the stockings aren't the same. I am suspicious... but I feel bad for the bottom horse.

Why is it so silvery looking? Is it a true grey?

Andrea

Extremely good post:) Sad and all as it is :no:

I know when I purchased 3 of my little mares I cried when I saw them, they were skin and bone.

I think a huge problam is thinking they are so tiny they hardly need any food. When I bought my first mini I was told he didn't need grain, per sellers vet and that half a small flake am and pm was sufficient. Needless to say I ignored their advice.

Poor darling, glad things worked out and she is happy and safe with you.

Pretty mare:)

Disneyhorse, horse looks to be a silver dapple thats what the winter hair looks like. The markings are the same and the poor little critter looks to have lice to boot! So sorry for the poor little horse I get so mad when I people who "know" better do this to a horse. I am sure she is very happy to be with you now. Best of luck. Linda B

I have to agree with Andrea, it just does not look like the same horse to me either. I've never seen a winter coat change the markings that much.

Rita

Is that the same horse? I hate to say it but the pinto markings are different on the shoulder, and the stockings aren't the same. I am suspicious... but I feel bad for the bottom horse.

Why is it so silvery looking? Is it a true grey?

Andrea
Hate to say it but I noticed the same thing very different markings??? White on one where the other doesnt seem to have it but maybe it is a winter coat thing?

Either way bottom line is you dont need to feel anything to see the bottom horse is thin and in need of some more feed. I hear people often use the hair excuse... doesnt fly with me I dont need to feel any of my horses to see there condition

Last edited:
Ummm.... I am not getting why some of you think it is not the same horse... I think bitsy would recognize her...
default_wink.png
:

Anyway - in the bottom pic you can see that the mare has rubbed hair off at her butt and neck and shoulders (maybe from lice) ... and being a silver dapple (as she looks to be) the undercoat close to her skin in winter coat would be a lighter shade - as our horses here show. The lighting and the size of the pic do not help...

What looks to be different markings in some places is simply lack of coat....
default_sad.png

I have to agree, the white pattern is completely different on the 2nd horse. Poor thing looks wretched, I have often heard breeders tell new owners that minis only need "a handful" of feed in the winter. One person who owned 25 minis kept them in appalling conditions (I had gone to view a filly) so I asked her what she was feeding them and she said she was "told" only to give them a few "flakes" daily in the winter, the silly woman was giving them half a dozen CORNFLAKES (breakfast cereal) daily and had wormed them with choc drop dog wormers that I wouldnt even use for a dog!!! I advised her on feeding (poor things didnt even get hay and were literally starving) went back a couple of weeks later to check, all seemed fine.....then a year later I met someone who had just bought from her and nothing had changed so I reported her to animal welfare. Decent food is the LEAST the horse or any animal should recieve. It makes my blood boil!!

I've purchased a couple of minis from Melanie and can attest that she has beautiful minis in the best of health. To have one of her minis come back in this shape has to be devastating. I feel for both her and the mini but know she'll have her back in good health in no time.

Ginny StP

P S The mare I bought from her this year is bred to the Stallion in her avatar. The mare is gorgeous and I can't wait to see what they produce.

G

Looks like the same horse to me......take a close look at the markings. They're the same. She just has such an unhealthy hair coat she looks strange. Poor thing. I'm sorry, but I don't have to put a hand on that horse and I can see she's way too thin! She looks wormy too. I'll bet she's glad to be home. :bgrin

How insulting, to insinuate that Bitsy is lying about those pictures being the same horse! :eek:

And anyway, take a good look-- do you see where the hair has been shaved or rubbed off? A silver dapple will often be VERY light where that is, especially this time of year. It looks like the same horse to me.

Bitsy, I'm sorry that you have to deal with suspicious minds on top of the trauma of getting your beloved mare back in such bad shape, sigh...

I wasnt suggesting she was lying!!! Just making an observation as I`m sure others were doing! The markings DO look different on the second horse.

Wow what a difference! I hope that she does get healthier! Please post pics of when she is healthy again!

Mini Horse Lover

Oh how awful, poor girl!

Had that happen once to a nice little gelding I sold. Thankfully, like your girl, they got back in good hands. Hope she recovers quickly!

Tammie

I dont believe anyone called her a liar just commenting on the difference in the way the horse looks period. I think the TRUE point here is that no horseman of any kind needs to FEEL a horse to see if it is starving and in horrible shape! It is something very easily seen with your eye if you have any horse experience and spend any amount of time with your horses JMO

Latest posts

Back