A minimal dwarf and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeadowRidge Farm

Reaction score
John , THANK YOU for taking the time from all of us wanting to learn more about the betterment of our breed. I had a very minimal dwarf born out of a mare that I bought bred. When it came time to geld my little guy, (about 2 yrs old, and in good health) my vet refused saying he didnt really know what was all going on with him (???) but yet at the age of 5 years old..without my vet realizing this was my minimal dwarf, he gelded .He was fully dropped at the age of 2. Could you please explain to me what problems he would of all come across gelding him earlier, rather then later? He had a bad bite, and a "barrel" belly, and was a little weak in his hind end, which he seemed to outgrow. I could understand if he was a severe dwarf, and had not dropped, but that wasnt the case. Is it common for a vet to wait with gelding a minimal dwarves and why? Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know of any problems gelding a dwarf at 2, other than him not having both testicles dropped yet. I would think that if they were both dropped that he would not put him under general anesthesia, just sedate him and cut. I just think he didnt want to do it or was afraid he would kill him by accident and be sued.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back