A MAY DAY FOAL FOR US!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaC

Reaction score
Born a minute before midnight, a tiny chestnut colt, born with absolutely no signs of his imminant birth! Ok the mare was due - a maiden mare - but happily ate her tea and all her hay, no laying down resting after a day out in the field, or appearing uncomfortable in any way, normal droppings, inside of vulva not 'red'. Watched on camera all evening, then went out around 11.30pm to do late night hay feeds and to pick up droppings to keep stables clean. Gave her and every else their hay, she took a mouthful of hers and then lay down. Seconds later she was pushing! Grabbed my mobile and rang daughter asleep in the house - call failed! Rushed to the house, thankfully close to our buildings, woke daughter and rushed back. Mare still violently pushing and getting nowhere. Starting to panic! Daughter arrived and after another couple of minutes something started to show -- RED!! Thanks to the advice given here on LB we waited for a second or two. Mare jumped up and went down again right by her door. Got the door open and we all spilled out into the corridor - luckily well strawed up as it can get wet. next push and the red split open itself (at the 'star' ??) Two feet visible plus a nose resting on the fetlocks! Very very tight fit, but working slowly with the mare we managed to get the legs to advance a bit and as the head was so tight it seemed to get held back. Suddenly we had legs and head free, slightly lifted the legs to free the elbows and his chest was out, he was wriggling like mad and broke the bag. The mare suddenly rolled right over on to her back and we were enveloped in flailing back legs and she was still pushing violently. Thought, help, she's trying to clear a hip lock (why do we have all these awful thoughts right when we dont need them!). Pushed her back on her side and with one last push he was out!!

After a couple of minutes the mare got to her feet and we had to make a fast cut of the cord as it did not break and she was dragging the foal with her! Two minutes later the afterbirth just dropped out of her, so I do wonder if he was a partial red bag delivery, if that is possible, as I have never had an afterbirth follow so quickly -- made me wonder if it had seperated or partially seperated as she was first pushing?

He was up on his feet straight away, no messing, and within 5 minutes he was drinking, no searching, just straight to the teat and on!!

The vet came (we had already phoned in our panic!) and went into raptures over our tiny little boy - rushed off to get her camera and took pictures! And I thought she had come to check things were ok! However after a cup of coffee she did check and gave both mare and baby a clean bill of health. We all stood nattering for a good half an hour - while I was hoping that the other two maiden mares in the barn would foal right that minute LOL!!

Momma mare is Ancaster Hermione (5 years and approx 30" UK - 29" USA?) and naughty Daddy is Darmond Boogerman's Bravado (Dragon) -- I say naughty as daughter has threatened to put him up for sale for £1 if he throws us any SOLID CHESTNUT foals!!

Pics will follow tomorrow. Apologies for long post, very excited and got a bit carried away!

Anna

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, sounds like things did good for you and lucky you did that check on her. Congrats!
biggrin.gif

OMG reading all that l think l need a
default_472.gif
and maybe a
default_smokesmile.gif
l'm sitting here expecting a foal tonight and hope it's without the drama...congrats on your little guy and happy all went well.

Congratulations on your new boy
default_aktion033.gif

What a story!! Good thing you were there to help her
default_yes.gif

Can't wait to see pics.

Many congrats Carol & Cathy
default_aktion033.gif
, good job you are a night owl LOL. So glad all is well, Give Woo a hug from us, she was such a good girl when she was here. Hard to believe she is a mum now ! Tell Cathy not to be too quick to blame Dragon... I checked colour calculator and there was always a 25% chance of chestnut ( she is by Mustard remember) Check him in daylight.... he may turn out to be red dun.
default_cheekkiss.gif
If she does want to sell him tell her I have the £1 ready
default_cheers.gif

Congratulations, Sure know how things can happen.

Glad everything went Ok.

Looking forward to pictures

I cant handle that stuff...just cant, Id b e a wreck
ohnoes.jpg
I never want to have a baby, not for me , not for my mare, I wouldnt sleep for 11 months. I worry too much
unsure.gif
glad everything turned out great.

You tell a great story! I've foaled just a few out, so knew enough to be able to visualize all your details. I love that the vet took pictures. She shouldn't charge you for giving her so much fun!
default_laugh.png

I look forward to seeing your baby.

Sure glad everything turned out OK. Congrats on your healthy bouncy foal.
default_aktion033.gif
Will look forward to pictures.

Many thanks for your congratulations and for reading my long epistle -- I never could use just a few words, when several hundred will do LOL!! Having trouble with photobucket right now (grrrrrrr!) - will get pics sorted asap
default_yes.gif

Anna

A very exciting delivery but so glad he arrived safe and sound - looking forward to pics of your new boy
default_smile.png

Cant wait for pictures and I love reading the way things happen.

Glad everything was okay.

Our last foal started out like that. The red bag was visible and just when I was reaching down to break it, it burst, gushing water all over me!

Like your birth, it was not long before the placenta was out after he birthed. But the colt showed no signs of oxygen deprivation.

I agree that you had a partial separation of the placenta.

Glad you were there for the birth!

Glad all went well.... bet that got your addrenalin going! Can't wait for pics!

Hoping that if photobucket and my computer are agreeable you might just see a couple of pics of 'Archie' (!!) These were taken within an hour of his birth - he's better looking now he's unfolded LOL!! Also he has dried out a lot paler in colour, so just wondering if you would like to make a guess about his adult colour? Pic at the bottom of his dam at the same age.

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

And his dam at the same age...

toyhorse_heidi_and_woo_2.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the pics - taken in the dark!

Anna

Latest posts

Back