A little help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Yesterday was Vernon's first day away from his momma (he is here with us now) He brayed and paced ALL night (he did have shavings on him so I guess he did lay down)! I did not want to have meet Priscilla (my Jenny) yet because I thought it would be best for him to deal with me first. Is that a good idea? Will he settle in being alone? How should I introduce him? I know when I first got Prissy a few years ago She bonded with my mini gelding almost immediately and was quite a pill LOL (She is good now- but has her moments) but I am scared if he is stalled and she comes into the barn she will want to be with him and not want to stay in her stall. Can you share some experience with me. Thanks so much.

In my experience, the little guys do bond tightly with humans if that is all they have to bond with. I have done it both ways and you can get it to work either way, but I do think the donkeys that bonded with me, before being put with any other donkey, are a bit nicer. He should settle down in a day or two. It may take longer if he knows there is another donkey on the premisis. (He will then spend all his time trying to get with the other donkey, and will be very stressed) If you can keep them far apart it will go quicker. here are a lot of ways to do things, but my sweetest annimals spent a few weeks getting to know humans first. JMO Linda

Latest posts

Back