A great day with my minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
My two weanlings left last weekend, so I'm down to four Miniatures! I can hardly believe it, I haven't had this low a number since 2001, and that was 3 Minis and a full size horse. I'm finding with less to care for I have time to do some "fun" stuff.

A local nursing home director called me yesterday, one of the residents in asissted living had a last wish to see a horse. They asked if I would be willing to come with one of my horses. Of course I said, I would love to! This afternoon I cleaned up Spring my 18 year old "been there done that" mare. They wanted me to come to the resident's window, I said I can do better than that, Spring will come inside. The woman we came to visit was a true horsewoman, I walked Spring up to her recliner close enough so she could pet her if she wanted to, but it put Spring's nose in her lap. She clearly commanded "Get back" and so we did!
default_biggrin.png
Other residents and staff in the wing came to see too. Spring was a star! She doesn't flinch around wheelchairs or walkers, no matter where they approach (even directly behind her), she makes excellent turns on the forehand or pivots in small spaces.
default_wub.png
We made one more stop to another resident's room before leaving. It was a wonderful visit, I really enjoy it and they want me to come back in the spring or summer for a longer visit.

Later since I already had the trailer hitched, I decided to take my young stallion (2 1/2 yrs) to a local park with my dog for a walk. My goal is to get Carnival off the farm and some exposure to new places. He did really well, he pranced all thru the park and only spooked one time at a skateboarder who was crouched down on the skateboard whizzing down an incline next to the path. Picture this, I was walking a mini on one side and my teeny 5 lbs Toy Fox Terrier on the other side. I was a sight for this suburban little town!
default_biggrin.png
One jogger came up behind us and then slowed down to ask "What is that?" I should have some kind of giant dog, haha!

It was a great day, it is a joy to share my minis and have some fun!
default_wub.png

Sounds like you had a great time and your horses got a chance to have some time with you. You did a great thing and you must be so proud of your minis.

Minis will keep you "heart healthy!"

What a wonderful, satisfying day!

Awesome!! This story and image just made me smile inside--and out.
default_biggrin.png
Oh the happiness! I sure hope someone does this for me if I'm in that situation. Thank you!!!

This is the direction I'm heading!! Mazie debut is Nov 25th--a trip to an assisted living place--inside. She's been in training to go up the wheelchair ramp into the van (I can't stand the thought of one little horse alone in the trailer) and for short rides. I purchased a cargo liner to protect the floor. I can't wait to get on a routine--there are several assisted living places near by--and I know folks moving into two of them.
default_wub.png

I have taken my mini's to the Assisted Living Home in town where I used to work. It is always so satisfying to see the joy it brings to the residents. Bless your heart for making this person's day. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You walked TWO animals at the same time!

My you must have been ready to take on the world.

I bet you caused a commotion!

Too bad no one got a photo of the three of you!

Great job promoting miniatures.... a casual stroll through the park!

Hard to believe you are down to just 4 miniatures now, Kim. I still have 8 here, so hard to think of who next I should find a home for. So much fun when you are buying and adding to your herd and so hard when you are thinning your herd down.

Sounds like you had a great day Kim and I'm sure the residents were very happy to see you coming with your mini.

Makes their day for sure.

Joyce

Nice job promoting mini. You need to get pictures some time, you never post your horses and i love the appys. I hope to do public events in the future when i get some more ponies

You need to get pictures some time, you never post your horses and i love the appys
Very true! But it is hard when it's just me, no extra hands for the camera! I do want to get a photo of me walking Teo & Carnival, I will try and get my sister to take one soon.

Here is one of Carnival taken in July:

Carnival_lft2_7-16-09-440x328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe you are down to just 4 miniatures now, Kim. I still have 8 here, so hard to think of who next I should find a home for. So much fun when you are buying and adding to your herd and so hard when you are thinning your herd down.
It isn't easy Joyce! But it is more rewarding for me now to be able to take the time to slow down and enjoy them. When my mom went thru chemo earlier this year, I took it to heart that we never know how much time we have here on this earth, and I need to slow down and enjoy more of it!

I love Carnival, he would be a nice match with my appy mare, i think. But shes not registered, and Im not into breeding nor do we have the pasture rooom until its bigger.

Just a testimony of one more way our little horses can bring joy to others.

I have also loaded a few up, unloaded at a school and walked the horses on the sidewalks in town. Great for them and fun to share them.

It sure is a beautiful day here.... if you ever need a partner to go visiting, feel free to give me a call...

brings tears to my eyes every time I do something like that

Kim,

You are a wonderful ambassador of our breed and also of appys :)

And you bring joy to others while doing it! :)

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back