A gelding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Okay ...so the friend that sold us Nellie wanted to keep her Jack but he is SO sad without his girl she emailed me and asked if K would want him too. So K said to tell her we'd take him but we could not keep him intact. She has Elvis and I have Vernon so another Jack would not be a good idea (we are not set up that way) but would love him as a gelding. I will see what Sue says...He is 6 or 7 and has successfully bred Nellie twice in the 5 years she has had them. Would he make a good gelding? Do they still act Jacky once fixed? Is it okay to geld at 6/7? Are donkeys more difficult to geld? Any help would be appreciated.

The only part I can help you with here is that donkeys are different in the gelding process. I've heard they tend to bleed much more than a horse. Make sure the vet that does the "deed" knows how to geld a donkey.

They do bleed more then a horse, and your vet also has to be knowledgable on sadating donkeys. There was a forum member on here about 2 yrs ago, who lives up my way, and he lost his donkey because of the vet over dosing him with the sadation. I had a 3 yr old gelded last year, and he never was used for breeding, but to this day---does he like his girls! :bgrin
default_wink.png
:
default_yes.gif
: Just make very sure your vet is familiar with donkeys. Corinne

Hi there,

I have a 5 year old miniature gelding donkey gelding who was just gelded a year ago. He was a terror when I got him. Jumping everything in his sight and acting VERY studish. He maintained a real attidtde until the last few months...(it can take up to a yuear for all donkey hormones to settle down after being gelded). Although donkeys do tand to bleed a little more than horses the chances of them suffering from too much bleeding are not that high....1 in 100 i believe is about the estimate. My vet just used the standard gelding procedue as used on a horse. Although it is recommenden that the blood vessiles of a donkey be ligated (or tied off) We did not have an issue. The farm I work for has gelded many donkeys over the years and have always used the same methods as with a horse without any complecations. If you would like I have a great book from the DOnkey Sanctuary in England which gives a fool proof sedation method for donkeys...however, again we just used the same methods as for a horse....althought more rompun is generally required.

Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back