A foals 1st...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellcasterminis

Reaction score
I was wondering what age do you give your foal it's first body clipping or hoof trimming? Wicky has started shedding out around the muzzle and eyes, but temps have been getting into the 80's lately and I'm worried he'd gonna get a cold from getting hot during the day and then maybe chilling at night. I haven't seen him sweating, but I know how much I've been sweating outside lol.

Also, what age do you normally do the first hoof trimming. Farrier says he isn't ready yet, but those toes are driving me crazy!

I've heard of folks clipping a foal as young as a week old.

As for feet, we do them also as young as a week old, and as needed. Occasionally a foal needs their toes trimmed almost immediately!

MA

ditto

I've heard of folks clipping a foal as young as a week old.
As for feet, we do them also as young as a week old, and as needed. Occasionally a foal needs their toes trimmed almost immediately!

I do not clip foals.

I do not do foals feet unless they need doing, if I had to rely on a farrier I think I would lean on him a bit if the feet looked long- maybe it is time you had a little go yourself???

Get a file and just make it part of the routine- there is very little damage you can do with light filing.

Bridlepath and beard usually gone at a day old (can't stand the beard!)

Body clipped (usually head-and-necked, then with the hair for the body and legs) by a week old (it gets very hot here by May). I do a lot of clipping, usually with the fur so I don't have to blanket. I clip them every week or so. I want them used to it when they are SMALL and easy to wrestle. I don't like wrestling yearlings for the first time to be clipped. You can also just hold live clippers on the foals without cutting hair, but it's a good thing for them to get used to since clipping is such a large part of our breed.

Feet trimmed at a week or two old and then every 4-6 weeks after to make sure those legs grow nice and straight.

Andrea

We have some that get there toes trimmed/filed in the first few days. NOrmally by a month they for sure need some work.

I also have them clipped by a month, weather permitting. The foals we have now will be a bit older before they get clipped as it still a bit to cool here for the babies.

Latest posts

Back