A Dream Comes True:we're in the new barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
We scurried about all weekend long, almost at a frantic pace, each with their own chore assignment to get the horses in the new barn. The goal was to get them in by Sunday night and believe me, they were going in one way or another. Michael's job was to clean out the mess in the garage so that Jerry would have a place to put all the big new power tools that he had to buy to build the barn. We also now needed to fit the small tractors and big mowers back in there that had been living in the barn while under construction, so Michael had his work cut out for him.

Dan got stuck having to take hardware down from the old barn and strip everything out of there, and pick up tools and boards and basically the whole construction mess that was in the isleway.

I leveled the stalls and added some 22 bails of shavings, put the new hardware on for the new buckets and feeders and got them all hung up. Jerry made some holders for all the feeders to slip in and out easily for washing. I have those little manna pro mineral thingys that work good for feeders. Everyone got two of those in the stalls: one for their feed and the other for their minerals.

Jerry built Sonny's stall door, installed all the hinges and latches and hung all the stall doors.

We got the horses in by 4:30 and put them where I already had it figured out for a year. Didn't work. They all had their own ideas. Most of them were upset, confused and decided not to participate. They were a nervous wreck for a while and wanted to go back to the old barn. There was a lot of digging at the doors, pacing, and well Ebbie just decided she was leaving and began to hurl herself over the door, but missed. I was very surprised at this because they had been hanging out in the barn for two years and knew where they were. Jerry came and served them a bite of food (wasn't dinner time) and some hay and eventually one by one they settled down. Except Sonny of course, but we knew how that would go. As soon as he found out that he lost his way to watch traffic and keep an eye on the new mare across the road he lost it and decided to rear a few times, buck and plow the walls down, bulldozer that he is, until I got after him for it. I do so love going in the stall with him when he's nuts, but it always works. Then he did the "I'm so misunderstood routine" and quit. The nose went down in the hay and then he found out that he had a great view of part of our yard where he could watch me and back door and seemed ok after that.

They had a good night. I thanked Merry Beth for not crapping in her water bucket for once in her life, and praised Angel for not backing up to the wall to smear her poop on it too. Everyone was covered in shavings, so they all did rest comfortably last night. Even Sonny. Once I let him out this morning, he banged on the gate for 10 minutes to come back in. Go figure. I threw him his hay and then he was ok and went trotting out to watch the traffic pass by and see what the mare across the road was doing.

There is still much to do. We have to hang lights, do a hot water hook up, (the lines are already laid for all that) hang vinal siding, add gravel to the driveway so I can pull the truck up to unload supplies, insullation, and the list goes on and on. But right now they are IN so that's the most important thing. Here's some pics.

There are 12 actual stalls 10 X 10. The first one on the left temporarily has my junk in it until the concete floor is poured for my tack room. The 2nd on on the left is empty. Sonny has a double stall 10 X 20, and I have another empty stall on the right at the end.

Sonnysnewstall.jpg

barnstallrightview.jpg

Hollynewstall.jpg

frontandbackfiew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty,

Your new barn is Fantastic!

What lucky horses :)

Susan O.

Woo Hoo!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
cheers.gif

I'm so jealous. I would love to have an almost complete barn (I realize you still have a few things to do). Maybe by next year, we are just about to start levelling the ground for my mini barn this week. We hope to have the posts in before hard freeze (pole barn - but, it's a barn).

aktion033.gif
What a dream come true! Good for you for all your families hard work! Won't this be wonderfula nd cozy during the Winter.

Maxine

Marty congratulations on your new barn!!! I love it!!
aktion033.gif
It's nice and roomy and the horses look content and comfty...love your Timmy pic...what a baby boy!!
wub.gif

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
YIPPEE MARTY...THAT IS SO WONDERFUL...I love your new barn and stalls...so pretty. Its been a lot of fun following the birth of your new barn...YEAH...its so awesome!!

lis

Oh, Marty, I am so happy for you. Everything looks great in the barn. The doors came out real nice. The horses will all be nice and happy this winter.
wub.gif

This has been alot of fun watching your barn go up. You guys have all worked so hard, you really deserve this. I hope your horses know how lucky they are. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

ITS BEAUTIFUL!!!
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
yes.gif

So happy for you -- nearly all done -- the last stuff will go quickly now that the horses are in there!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

JJay

Marty...I LOVE it, and can't wait until you have applied all of your finishing decorator touches. I will be showing these pics to my husband tonight. What is your total spent so far on it - supplies only - not including all the sweat equity and hard work your family has put into it. I remember you detailing it when you first started and being amazed at how well you had budgeted and to see the barn now -- WOW --

YAY, FINALLY!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif
It turned out sssooo nice, can't wait to see it totally and completly finished, I'm sure you can't wait either!

I really appreciate all the well wishes. Means a lot.

We are going to have the barn blessing tonite, just family, and I guess I'll say the words.

Everyone came filing into the barn rather easily today about 4:00 and all is quiet. It wasn't the usual total kaos. Merry Beth still hasn't made any attempt to poo in her water so that is a very good sign that she's happy I'd say. I think they are all quite happy and content now that they understand what has happened. Even Sonny is quiet. They are all resting before dinner. Ebbie and Chrissy are laying down, so's Timmy.

We are off budget but it's not that bad.

We began this project before the war really kicked in, and then Katrina when prices of wood skyrocketed on us and some things actually did double, so we aren't upset or anything., Plus Jerry had made a couple of changes along the way and I began to ask for certain things that were not in the plans. So we are over budget by about $900.00. Seeing as how we paid as we went, we don't owe anything on it so that's a good thing. Jerry feels that before it's said and done, we'll have $8,000 in it. That's all material plus the bulldozing and gravel expenses which we all added in. Jerry did all the work. We don't regret any of it.

I'm working on stall name plates now thanks to all your good ideas. After I get caught back up on my work and chores I'll be getting them finished.

All my barn decorations won't be getting up anytime soon because we have to insullate the inside walls first. Don't know when that will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful looking barn. You and your family should be proud of a wonderful job that all of you did. Congratulations.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back