A bit question...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
Hello everybody, :saludando:

I've been reading on this forum for a little while and have seen there is a lot of good advice exchanged here. So I've decided to post a question i have about changing bits. I have a 3yr. old Cremello Gelding(Banner) That I am training to drive,actually he's been hitched and all so I would say he's green broke. Right now I have Banner driving in a single jointed stainless steel Dee-ring snaffle. I have been reading about bits & the same thing keeps coming up, the nutcracker action of the single jointed snaffle is somewhat uncomfortable. Banner has a super light mouth
default_wub.png
: so I think switching to a more comfortable,milder bit would make him happier(As if that was possible lol :lol: ) I also do a lot of ground driving, especially in the winter where he just feels so good and can't help but show me with a few good bucks
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Eventually I will be doing more work with driven dressage:) so I need a bit that will still be ok for stuff like that. I will not be showing (so far) so we'll only be traveling trails. I don't use a sidecheck/overcheck or any type of martingale. I do use sliding side reins
default_wub.png
: ocassionally.

There were two bits that caught my eye, the french-link snaffle & the myler comfort snaffle. Price isn't really a concern. I would just like a bit that will be comfortable for Banner. I was wondering if anybody had any advice on either of these bits. Also if anybody has any reasons to prefer 1 over the other. Any advice will be appreciated :aktion033: Thanksin advance everybody.

default_wacko.png
: Ashley & Banner~
default_wacko.png
:

P.S.- If you need anymore info just ask I tryed to give enough for everybody to get a picture of what his"career" is.
default_firstprize.gif
:

I cant offer a comparison... I never got to use a Myler on my horse... but I did switch him from a regular snaffle to the french link and noticed a definate and immediate improvement... not sure I can pinpoint exactly what changed, except to say that he seemed much more comfortable and relaxed and happy... and I think that makes everything improve when they're happier.

The answer is - it all depends on the horse! Some horses go better or need one bit over another. The single jointed snaffle works on the bars, roof and corners of the mouth. If you have a horse that gets his head up above the bit a broken snaffle can worsen it because when you use rein action the joint pokes him in the roof of the mouth and the sides press on his bars but it can be very helpful with a horse that needs a bit sharper control. A straight or bar snaffle can be confusing to a horse as when you work one rein it affects both sides of his mouth and can cause him to tilt his head or throw it up. Using a mullenmouth helps a little as it fits the shape of his mouth better but you can still get the same effect. I really like the double jointed or French link snaffle as it is a mild and very sensitive bit and you get single rein action on either side which is less confusing to the horse. It doesn't have the nutcracker effect of the single jointed bit which allows them to relax and get their head down. It is a great bit for starting horses and if continually schooled correctly may be the only one they ever need. Some horses that have already been incorrectly schooled though won't respect this bit and will need retraining.

Thanks for the input Wiggy & Milo Miniatures. I know exactly what your talking about when you talk about the joint hitting the roof of the mouth. Most of the time driving Banner I have super light contact with the bit and to turn i just have to squeeze my hand shut a little and give with the other one ( I usually just give him a voice commands and he's more than happy to do it, especially trotting
default_wub.png
: ).But I can tell that sometimes Banner doesn't apprieciate (sp?) the nutcracker action of the single joint snaffle like when he throws his head up (when he spooks it's amazing how quickly & far his head comes up :new_shocked: ) & sometimes i'm just not quick enough to give him a little rein which makes the joint hit the top of his mouth...obviously he doesn't appreiciate it. Which is why I'm thinking strongly about buying a different one. Thank you once again + I can't wait to see what other people have to say :aktion033:

Ashley&Banner

P.S. - It is a shame when people misuse any type of bit, I am constintly reminding myself that everytime I'm careless or not concentrateing Banner pays for it just that thought enough is enough motive to block out other distractions

You sound like a girl after my own heart.
default_wub.png
: :bgrin I've got a sensitive-mouthed high-spirits bucker too and we share a lot of taste in equipment.
default_yes.gif
:

I think you have a very good question Ashley. I have not unfortunately gotten my hands on a Myler comfort snaffle to be able to compare it to a French Link, but here's my thoughts. Having handled a different Myler bit, the Mylers apparently keep all the swiveling action and joints within a smooth barrel so there is no possibility of any sort of pinching, catching, etc. (Those who have these bits, please correct me if I'm wrong.) The barrels are smooth and small, no wider than the diameter of the rest of the mouthpiece. And if I'm seeing correctly from the pictures it looks like the comfort snaffle might have a bit of an arch to it to fit nicely over the horse's tongue. So it seems to be more of a curved mullen mouth bit shape-wise with the advantages of a double-jointed snaffle for independent side action.

The French link is like a regular snaffle but has two joints for the reasons discussed in the other replies and that's the only thing different about it. The little lozenge in the middle needs to be properly round-edged to not bite into the tongue and in most mini bits that seems to make for a fat little insert piece that I'm not sure I'd like if I was a horse.

Basically they both seem to be mild, comfortable, communicable bits that I would be happy to use on my horse. My preference however goes to the bit that is NOT $150! :lol:

Leia

I can answer this one from my experience-

I have a Myler comfort snaffle- copper mouth- that I used with a VERY sensitive mouthed OTTB I owned a few years back. After she was sold, it sat in the tack room.

When I started riding Kaya, my Arab gelding- I used a Half cheek snaffle, as it is what his trainer used on him. I just was not happy with it- he would have his moments of "green-ness" and when I DID need to maintain any contact his head went up and his mouth gaped open.

Remembering the Myler- I switched bits. It worked MUCH better, but I still got occasional locking of his jaw with it- he was just not all that comfortable in it either. The sides act independantly of each other- picking up the left rein results in virtually NO movement of the right hand side of the bit- and this horse did not like that.

Trying once more- I bought a french link snaffle, and it has worked like a charm. In addition to not seeing any signs of discomfort- he is now actively reaching for contact and holding it much more on his own.

BUT- this is just one person and one horse's story- the TB mare that the Myler was for? I had tried her first in a French Link and she hated it. But she loved the Myler. I love the Myler myself- it is well made and pinchless, and well as not having ANY nutcracker effect. BUT- for some reason Kaya doesn't like it!

Now the Myler is back to collecting dust in my barn.....

Thanks everybody!!! I'm still thinking about both bits... but I'm leaning toward the French-link not that won't change with other posts :lol: . If I do go with the french-link I will be purchasing it from Driving Essentials
default_wub.png
: beacause Banner, who is 35 1/2",happens to have a 3 1/2" mouth which is hard to find a Stainless Steel ( I've heard mixed things about other materials & he's already being driven in a Stainless Steel bit anyway so why change ?) french link bit & I happen to like this bit It's toward the bottom, and yes it's a curb ... figures when i find a bit that works out it has to look tough haha o well I'll only be using it on the snaffle setting with very light hands as usual. It's the French link Butterfly, the liverpool across from it looks like it might pinch which is why I leaned toward the butterfly bit. Here's the link.

http://www.drivingessentials.com/bits_mini.htm

Acheron, That's a very interesting story you have there :lol: but that's horses for you
default_wink.png
: . Leia I'm glad we have the same tastes. I love reading about you & Kody
default_yes.gif
: & I just love Kody!!! Even tho I wouldn't trade Banner for anything... even if he's the BIGGEST scatterbrain ever
default_wacko.png
: at least he tries once he concentrates
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Well if anyone has any more input that would be great because I'm still considering both bits. Plus what do you guys think of the French-link Butterfly? Thanks Everbody once again !!!!!

~Ashley & Banner~

I have never used a french link, but I got the Myler comfort snaffle for my gelding for Christmas. I LOVE it! Leia described how it works perfectly. My gelding LOVED it opposed to his half cheek single jointed snaffle I have been using. He used to always be chomping away at the bit and sometimes he would gap his mouth open to evade the pressure (He had had his teeth done in July, and checked by Carl Mitz a few weeks prior, so I know it wasn't his teeth!). So, I tried the Myler, and he chomped it a few times, but NEVER as much as he has in the past, and he also never gaped his mouth open. He seemed much more content.
default_smile.png

Thanks everybody!!! I'm still thinking about both bits... but I'm leaning toward the French-link not that won't change with other posts :lol: . If I do go with the french-link I will be purchasing it from Driving Essentials
default_wub.png
: beacause Banner, who is 35 1/2",happens to have a 3 1/2" mouth which is hard to find a Stainless Steel ( I've heard mixed things about other materials & he's already being driven in a Stainless Steel bit anyway so why change ?) french link bit & I happen to like this bit It's toward the bottom, and yes it's a curb ... figures when i find a bit that works out it has to look tough haha o well I'll only be using it on the snaffle setting with very light hands as usual. It's the French link Butterfly, the liverpool across from it looks like it might pinch which is why I leaned toward the butterfly bit. Here's the link.

So now you have gone from a snaffle to a butterfly which is a much more severe bit with possible curb action and an effect on the poll and loose cheeks that could pinch???? Why not just stick with the snaffle? Even if you use this bit on the snaffle setting it is hung from the cheek pieces which gives it poll action. Maybe before you go looking for another bit you should do some research on how they work.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Milo Miniature's or anyone else, do you know of any place that sell 3 1/2 stainless steel french-link bit's. I would prefer a simple bit to a curb, & will not get a bit that looks like it will pinch & from what I can see the butterfly doesn't look like it will pinch unlike the liverpool that definitly looks like it will pinch. I was thinking about the poll pressure that the Butterfly might use when I was typing my response I was going to ask if it would and all but I must have forgot
default_unsure.png
: . _minihorses4ever_ I'm so glad you typed about your myler !!!! Banner also chomps his bit but he hasd such a light mouth that it didn't really effect his driving too much, but I'm so glad that the myler comfort snaffle helped your gelding ... hmm ...might go with a french-link if I can find it in stainless Steel 3 1/2" but then again might go with the Myler Comfort Snaffle...
default_wacko.png
: Decisions,decisions lol Thanks All

P.S. - Anymore thoughts about the French-link Butterfly? I'm not sure if I'll be trying it or not ... hmmm :lol:

~Ashley & Banner~

I agree with Milo, I don't like the Butterfly bit for what your wanting to achieve. I know Mini Express has a french link, but I know it has copper in it. That's the only one that I have ever seen. What about trying a Mullen Mouth instead?

Edited for spelling
default_wacko.png
:

I'm not sure about the mullen... Banner has a light mouth and all but I'm not sure if that would change if I gave him a bit that he could brace himself against... Strongly looking into the Myler though. I have seen the copper bit in mini express, I'ld rather not have a solid copper mouthpiece though. oh well I'm just going to see if anyone else has any thoughts about anything
default_smile.png
I'm in no rush to change bits because I know to make a good decision I have to actually think about it for a while :lol:

~Ashley & Banner~

Thank You So Much Wiggy!!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: !!! I'm still deciding though... looking for as much information on both bits as possible
default_wink.png
:

~Ashley

minidonkeyny said:
...Leia I'm glad we have the same tastes. I love reading about you & Kody
default_yes.gif
: & I just love Kody!!! Even tho I wouldn't trade Banner for anything... even if he's the BIGGEST scatterbrain ever
default_wacko.png
: at least he tries once he concentrates
default_rolleyes.gif
: . Well if anyone has any more input that would be great because I'm still considering both bits. Plus what do you guys think of the French-link Butterfly? Thanks Everbody once again !!!!!

~Ashley & Banner~
Ashley, why spend that much money when Iowa Valley Carriage has a new line of bits? I'd either buy the comfort snaffle for a few dollars more or go to http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/bits.php and all the way to the bottom, there's a 3.5" French Link Butterfly bit for $39.95. Granted it has a copper lozenge, but that's better than the all-copper mouthpiece of the Mini Express bit. Sandee is great to deal with and I believe is working on my request to create a stainless steel half-cheek french link by this spring. I'm waiting for that to come out, then I'm pouncing!

MiLo Minis said:
So now you have gone from a snaffle to a butterfly which is a much more severe bit with possible curb action and an effect on the poll and loose cheeks that could pinch???? Why not just stick with the snaffle? Even if you use this bit on the snaffle setting it is hung from the cheek pieces which gives it poll action. Maybe before you go looking for another bit you should do some research on how they work.
default_yes.gif
:
Now MiLo, that was harsh.
default_jerry.gif
: (Always wanted to use that smilie, LOL). This young lady is asking the questions because she's doing the research, don't smack her down for it!
default_cheekkiss.gif
: I was considering this bit myself although I would prefer a plain snaffle french link. Kody's (and possibly Banner's) objection is to a single joint and I don't really see any problem with adding a gentle poll squeeze. We're still using light hands and most riding horses go in curbs quite happily. For that matter, so do most driving horses as the Liverpool or Butterfly are traditional bits. They are only as harsh as the hands that use them, and the butterfly mouthpiece removes the poke that the horses dislike. What's so bad about that? And for the record, the cheekpieces on a well-made butterfly shouldn't pinch any more or less than a snaffle would. I'd personally be replacing the curb chain with a custom made rolled leather curb strap if I bought the bit, and keeping it just tight enough to not flop against his chin. Also, doesn't the Myler hang from cheek slots? Granted they are closer to the mouthpiece so less leverage, but still.

minidonkeyny said:
I'm not sure about the mullen... Banner has a light mouth and all but I'm not sure if that would change if I gave him a bit that he could brace himself against... Strongly looking into the Myler though. I have seen the copper bit in mini express, I'ld rather not have a solid copper mouthpiece though. oh well I'm just going to see if anyone else has any thoughts about anything
default_smile.png
I'm in no rush to change bits because I know to make a good decision I have to actually think about it for a while :lol:
~Ashley & Banner~
Like I said, if you wait until spring there might be more options. I'm really pushing the bit manufacturers! :bgrin

I tried Kody in a nice curved mullen mouth at one point and the difference in steering was startling. My sensitive little Maserati turned into a Mack truck! I don't recall that he got heavy on the bit (then again I was so green at the time I'm not sure I would have noticed) but cornering was a whole different ballgame. He also fussed with it a lot and while the trainer said I could give him a couple more days to see if he adjusted to it-- we'd used it three times at that point- my feeling was that he didn't like the fact he couldn't move the mouthpiece. We put him back in the snaffle and BOOM! The steering came back online.

I tried a used Myler at one point last spring but I'd bought it online and it turned out it was a high port correction bit not the comfort snaffle I'd been told. :new_shocked: Kody HATED it. Absolutely hated it. He gaped and gawed and fought it, and then got heavier and heavier during the first few minutes of the lesson. My trainer told me to keep going and I finally said "No, you don't understand. He is heavy on this bit. Your fjord drives like that, Kody doesn't! He hates this bit." We got the snaffle out of the trailer and changed him right then and there in the arena. He spat out the new bit like it was manure, watched fearfully as we changed the bit, and then literally sighed with relief and relaxed when the bridle came back into sight with the snaffle on it! We all broke out laughing because there was no mistaking his feelings. Ever since I've been on a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kick.

You know this Ashley, but I will say it for others. Always check the quality of your bit. We do the worst things to horses and never even realize it! I used the bit that came with his bridle for the first year and never understood why this horse would suddenly throw up his head and gape when I so much as touched him. I mean it was a snaffle! Come on, you don't get much kinder than that, right? Wrong. That starter bit was a torture device and when I finally found well-made mini snaffles I was shamed at the difference. I knew I hadn't liked it but I didn't think it was that bad. But the sides were loose and undoubtedly pinched, the mouthpiece was straight (not curved), the bars themselves were square :new_shocked: instead of round, and the joint in the middle was very large and undoubtedly was biting cruelly into his tongue. As soon as I switched to the new bit he stopped fussing so much about bridling and while standing, and after a few drives to learn that it really wasn't going to hurt him he stopped overreacting to a touch.

But there's one other thing too. I thought I had soft hands. I know how to give and take, I've ridden all my life and always been complimented on my hands. My Arab thinks I have soft hands and he's pretty sensitive, so I assumed my hands weren't the problem with Kody. I blamed it on the bit. WRONG. I started taking lessons with a driven dressage trainer this spring and found out that despite my best intentions and theoretical understanding of half-halting, etc., I was doing it all wrong and then blaming the lack of results on my horse. :no: I truly thought I was more of a horseman than that, but the fact is I was the cause of Kody's remaining problems. With some proper schooling we've both come far and now the only time he opens his mouth is when I'm holding him back on marathon and he really wants to go forward. Nevertheless my trainer still wants me to use a flash noseband to teach him to "stop fussing," and I'm not having any of it. If he's opening his mouth, it's because I'm still doing something wrong and I need to be aware of that, not silence his protests.

So look to your bit for basic comfort, then look honestly at your own hands and have someone else knowledgable take a look too. Only after both of those would I assume a new bit is needed. I still think a double-jointed bit is better even if the old one is okay, but it isn't going to solve the problem if your horse is reacting to your hands! :lol:

Leia

As if I haven't typed enough, edited to add: You can use a eggbutt like the one shown on Prime Design to drive with, but it isn't traditional. I'm holding out for a half-cheek with stainless. There is a $30 version of the Myler comfort snaffle available too, Sue C. from the forum uses them and says they are good quality. I might buy one of those to try too. I'll dig up the link today.

default_smile.png

~Ashley & Banner~
You might find your horse likes the copper mouth and I think he would prefer it over the butterfly. The bit on Prime Design only comes in 3 3/4" which would be too big. For the difference in price between the French link and the Myler I would give the copper a shot!
default_smile.png

I'm strongly thinking about the copper french link in Mini express I'm still a little leary of it because i've read/heard that copper is to soft and might need to be replaced sooner than I'ld like it to. I'm not against other materials in bits but the bit I'm using now is been used for 8 yr.s before and is still like brand new which is one of the reasons I'ld prefer stainless steel. But I'll say it once again I'm willing to try other materials if there's good feedback on it.

Leia that was so nice of you to write up that response... I love long responses
default_yes.gif
: I don't think Milo ment anything to be harsh or at least I didn't take it that way I should have remembered to but that question about poll pressure in my other response. Banner is still pretty much green-broke to me ( I also have pretty high standards, I want people to looks & say "look at that nice mannered little horse" not "let's go around that little bratty horse") and I'ld rather not have a curb bit because he's still learning and poll pressure isn't needed but if it came down to the French-link butterfly being the best option I would simply keep in mind that it applies a little bit of poll pressure. Like I said Banner practically drives on voice commands and even in the chilly-cold weather up here in NY I'ld rather keep asking Banner with my voice & easy give & take for 2 minutes to walk and finally when he does walk he is calm and still feels like "this is fun" :xbud: then jerk him to a walk and have him tense and jigging. So everyone can be assured only the lightest hands will be driving him. Though I'm sure my mom thinks I'm crazy when I'm jogging along behind him while I wait for him to settle down and listen ... but yet he still has a super light mouth and once he's warmed up I simply ask him to walk, trot etc. & he does it, no movement w/ the reins at all. I don't know that's just the way I train and I'm only 14 but Banner is safe to drive otherwise he would have never been hitched to the cart last summer... because he had to be safe according to my mom's standards ...which he is
default_wub.png
:

If I went with any type of curb that was a French-link snaffle I would most definently consider purchasing a leather curb strap tightened just as Leia had said. I would only be using the snaffle setting so it wouldn't really come in contact w/ his chin groove. OOOH i just thought of a question
default_poke.gif
: Since I would only be using the snaffle setting IF I got a frech-link Butterfly what would happen if I took the curbchain off & had nothing ? Just wondering
default_wacko.png
:

~Ashley

Thanks Ashley. I am glad you didn't take offense because I didn't mean any. Wasn't trying to "smack you down" just couldn't figure out why you came on looking for a "milder" bit and end up looking at the butterfly? If you are using the butterfly on the snaffle ring a curb chain will have very little or no effect as the curb action will not be as severe. Unless your horse is a major bit chewer the copper will last for quite a long time. If your horse is a bit chewer then I would look to finding out why. A lot of horses love the copper mouthpiece and it helps keep their mouth moist.

Thank You MiLo I'll be looking to see how many different bits I can find that will work than work on narrowing them down till I has a new bit, hopefully a more comfortable one at that :lol: Until then wish me luck & Thanks Everybody who posted it helped a lot I think I'm going to end up with a French-link when I decide.
default_yes.gif
:

:xreiter: ~Ashley & Banner~ :xreiter:

When looking at bits, please also look at the bars of the mouthpiece and take notice of their shape. A good mouthpiece will be smooth and evenly tapered. For some reason so many Mini bits have bars with a bulge in the middle of them. I bought a bit on the recommendation of a forum member. I saw a photo of the bit on the website, but from that photo couldn't tell anything was "wrong" with the mouthpiece. When the bit arrived I was extremely disappointed to find that each side of the mouthpiece had a bulge in the middle of it. I've looked at a lot of bits since then, and in some photos you can see the bulges. In some photos the bits look nice & smooth, and those are the ones I inquire on, with requests for specific info on the bit bars. If they have bulges, I don't want them. Some people obviously don't care, haven't noticed, or actually like these kind of mouthpieces.

The bit with the bulges in the middle of the bars is more severe than one with normally shaped bars...those bulges create definite pressure points. Perhaps those pressure points would give added control on a problem horse, but it's not what I want to use on any horse. The bit I bought (and it sits here unused) is a plain jointed snaffle, but I see those same bulges on the bars of some of the french link bits too.

Latest posts

Back