9 year old stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
What would be your thoughts on a 1999 stallion that has no foals on the ground...he has amazing bloodlines..small..all is perfect except this. I even signed up for the AMHA online studbook just to find out about him.....and now this...hhhmmmmm..puts a new light...OR..could there be a reasonable explanation...hhhmmmmm....

Well first question has he been used for breeding?

I was looking at a stallion once that the owner told me he had x number of foals, etc. The studbook said different. I called AMHA and asked - I didn't ask for names of mares, just how many stallion reports were filed and number of mares on the reports and was told. Didn't quite agree with what the seller said, so passed on him. I would think any seller would supply that information - I know I would if I said a stallion had been used for breeding.

I honestly would love to see that information on the studbook - I know there can be a number of reasons for no live foals, but a stud that has a report filed every year with x number of mares and is only siring a limited number of foals - I'd want to know why - especially if I was looking at a 'proven' stallion. I want to see the proof!

As for reasons - a low grade infection can cause significant infertility. Bad timing, low motility, infertile mares, preference for pasture over hand breeding or vice versa, not enough covers per mare, short breeding season, stress - there can be a number of reasons!

I bought a stallion that had never been used and based on his looks/pedigree we took a chance on him - beautiful foals every one! Don't know what the previous owner did not see, but glad we had him! He was funny too, first time we put him out with mares, he was like 'oh whats that', literally would have to point him at the squatting, peeing, winking mares - he was a bit timid and very do you mind with the mares. The second breeding season - he was give me another one (comically like bring me another virign - he was too funny!) And had 100% bred mares. High fetility, mares loved him and very successful boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I called AMHA and asked - I didn't ask for names of mares, just how many stallion reports were filed and number of mares on the reports and was told.
Michelle,

I never thought of calling AMHA and asking about filed stud reports. What a great idea!!! I would absolutely do this now if I had any questions about if a stallion had bred any mares.

Also, may want to check with AMHR if he's also AMHR registered. Maybe he's been part of a program that is primarily AMHR based.

And, ask the sellers for an explaination and see if it sounds reasonable.

Honestly it would depend on what they told me. Had they said yes, he has had tons and tons, and you find with none? Little worrisome. Maybe he has foals in R?

A stallion I was looking at before had foals on the ground that I had seen. Some had hit the ground and Grew, and were never A reg, despite that his small size. When it came out to paper, you never would have known that he had all those kids on the ground- Even though I had Seen them. Also some of the mares ended up being not put on his stud report as there was ownership questions etc etc. So yes it can get muddied pretty quick.

If there is any doubt, it's very cheap to have a evaluation done of the semen count, and something I would recommend for anyone buying a breeding stallion that may have any questions at all.

Depending on how the horse was shown, some of the 'supplements' used can be damaging to future reproductive use- I have known of several people who found this out the hard way. On the up side, they now have outstanding geldings.

I agree with Jill, alot of times people have primarly one Registry or the other, and some don't bother with the paperwork...I can't tell you how many times I have found that. Mainly with mares, that have the foals on their side, nursing, and nothing listed in the registry as the mare ever having any foals.

well..I know he is only reg AMHA.....welll..I THINK I know......dang it..guess I need to see if AMHR has an online studbook....geesh...I would rather research and be 200 % sure before jumping in head first (like I usually do tee hee) then get him and end up with problems or an infertile stallion...

I guess the question would be was he even used for breeding. I sold a beautiful stallion and he is used as a yard ornament. And I know lots of people who have had that done.

If he was I would want some proof of foals hitting the ground. I know some people may not even register the foals. Why I don't know. I want my mares and stallions to get credit for their accompishments. It isn't that much to register them.

I have an 8 yr old stallion on my show string that hasn't had any AMHA registered foals until this year and he'll have one. He's been passed around and just not used for breeding. I do know that his current owner has mares in foal to him for next year so he is fertile. Beautiful stallion too with a super pedigree! I can't imagine why anyone would NOT be using him for breeding!
default_smile.png

Maybe because foals aren't selling? :p Maybe in a few years when there is a market again more of these "wannabe geldings" can come back to work as studs.

If the stallion you're looking at is reportedly only AMHA registered, I would look up his dam in the AMHR studbook to see if there is a matching foal. Sometimes they have a different name in the other registry and you may not find them under their known name. I have a mare that I purchased as AMHA only, and just discovered last week that she has AMHR papers that are still under a prior owners name...so I'm trying to track down that owner to see if we can restore them. Another mare I took in earlier this year apparently has TWO different names in AMHR (and progeny registered under each name)? So you never know where things can be mixed up along the way with registration paperwork.

And, yes, this stallion may just not have had the opportunity to breed or they never got around to registering the foals. I've also heard of plenty of registered minis being bred to grade minis, and as such, there's no record of the resulting foals...
default_no.gif

I agree with most of the other folks, I would sure look into it all the options.
default_new_shocked.gif

I know we have one colt here at the farm that is a "Rio De Oro" son we sold to some folks as a baby 7 years ago. They decided to get rid of him two years ago and he had never been bred to anything. So far as long as the old man is still settling his mares we have not had the need to use him, but continue to keep him as a back up on the Rio line. Rio is now 20 and it scares us to death we could lose him at any time like some of the great stallions that died this year ( Hawk, Bodacious etc.). I would ask the owner what the explaination is also.
default_wink.png

By the way horses are still selling here in the USA and abroad. Additionally not all stallions deserve to be gelding prospects. LOL I hope it works out for you. I am really glad to see you doing some homework and looking before you leap. That makes you a smart buyer in my book. Which we need more of !!!
default_wub.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_saludando.gif

Good Luck,

Looks like you have had alot of good answers already but I wanted to add my 2 cents for what it is worth
default_smile.png
I know I bought a stallion this year that is 6 and has no foals before. He was "just a pet" to the elderly couple that had him. But I exposed him to 2 mares and he did wonderful
default_smile.png
So could just be something like that. I know I bought a 4 year old stallion once and was told he had sired foals but AMHR had no records -- well when his papers came I understood why -- he was still on application -- everything was there to be sent in but no one ever had so none of his foals could have been registered.

Back