8 Month Old Colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcwallis

Reaction score
Have you ever had a colt that looked like he would go into labor any minute?

We have wormed, Sand cleared, wormed with different wormer...

We have 3 other babies that are just fat, nothing like this

He is fed plenty of brome hay and 1 pound of Miniature Horse and Pony feed... 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening..

I'm going to call our vet and take him in to make sure there's no internal damage from being thrown in the storm back in May. I would think he would have more problems or act like he was in pain if there were internal injuries...

I've never had one like this.... Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of people chalk it up to a hay belly, maybe you can post pictures so people can see if it looks normal to them?

I personally dont feel that the mini horse and pony feed has enough protein for a growing horse. I feel they need 14%-16% protein. Many times the bloated belly is from a protein deficiency. Do you have a picture of the foal?

Lynda, he may not be able to digest the amount and type of fiber in his diet well. He may also need more protein. My recommendation would be more alfalfa hay and less grass hay as well as a higher protein grain mix.

I agree regarding the higher protein diet. It's very important for young horses.

Alfalfa is a good hay for some areas, but in others it can be very rich. Our region grows alfalfa that can be as hot as 20 to 24%, so we stick with the locally grown grass, which ranges between 14 to 16%. We still feed our youngsters a complete grain that is listed at 14 and includes necessary vitamins and minerals.

Some of our young ones still get a bit of a "baby belly" but they quickly out grow it as they become yearlings. This is where a photo would help because there's difference between a baby belly and a pot belly from lack of protein, IMO.

Thanks for the input...

I think we'll try adding alfalfa and see what happens..

Lynda

Yep, seen it before. Preg weanling colts! LOL Young horse's digestive systems often aren't able to process long fiber very well at all so they end up with a big gut full of undigested hay. Your best bet is usually a feed product formulated for young growing horses (with the micronutrients a youngster needs) and the hay recommended for that feed product.

Some young horses we have had in for training we find do best on junior feeds even as 2 year olds. They just don't process well the hays and feeds designed for mature horses.

Good luck with your colt!

I agree--add some alfalfa, and I would also change to a higher protein grain, preferably with brewers yeast added.

I personally would go a different route with your grain. Go with a JR feed. Young, growing horses need that protein. Even when I was happy with the mini feed I was always skeptical about feeding it to broodmares and young horses, now of course I am against this feed.

If you can't get alfalfa even good orchard grass hay is good. Just nothing too steamy. But I really suggest looking into a Jr feed.

JuniorGLO

I had a colt like that last year. He had a HUGH belly. At that time I lived in Minnesota and I fed alfalfa along with a new feed that was fantastic!! (sure wish I could get that feed down here) It was 14% protein and had every ingredient and supplement one could want.

As a yearling he looked much better. So I do not think switching to alfalfa, or going to a higher protein is going to make much difference. If you get too high a protein you could force the colts bones to grow faster than his ligaments can catch up with and then you could really have some problems. I used to see it all the time in Arabians. If his backbone is filled in with plenty of flesh,then he does not need more protein. The foal can get a Biafra belly only if he is not getting enough protein and food.

Some foals have sluggish digestive systems they outgrow. Just give him time and he should outgrow it.

Ditto I have seen this repeatedly in growing foals and adult Minis- not enough protein. I have fed straight alfalfa for years and dont really have this problem with the Minis. They might get a belly briefly but only lasts a very short time. The higher protein also keeps good weight up over their shoulders/back/rump.

I would go a different route with your grain also, and up the amount. Vitamins, loose minerals, salt. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I would go a different route with your grain also, and up the amount. Vitamins, loose minerals, salt. You'll be amazed at the difference.
This is what I would do too. Pictures would help too. My 6 month old colt is getting 3.5 lbs of junior grain a day plus hay. Best of luck with your boy!

Latest posts

Back