8 days old (new colt pics)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do his AMHA papers and AMHR, too, and want to list him properly (do they even have a place for silver buckskin?)

Curious what you think about his coloration, though. For those that don't know, sire is a non-silver golden or light buckskin depending on the season (black points) son of LK White Russian, dam is a blood bay (no way silver on his side), dam is a sorrel that has produced one silver dapple colt by a smokey black stallion, so we know it's her that carries it.

Here are the pics, it was cold this a.m. and he was not feeling like showing his little tricks, but he posed kinda nice:

buck8dayshead.jpg

This pic to me shows a typical blue baby eye, which will turn the common brown that most horses' eyes are, and I hear or see so many people saying oh, but he has blue eyes, these type will NOT stay blue, but will turn medium to dark brown. Cute face!

buck8dwalk.jpg

He's not sure about me being so close, so he starts to leave...look at his lonnng legs. Daddy was generous w/those.

buck8drt.jpg

Here I know he's thinking I should probably not get any closer...

buck8daysl.jpg

Went to hide behind mom, but stopped and peeked back around her tail just to see if I was still watching him...curious after all.

buck8dcute.jpg

Even though he has the barest hint of teeth, he can't stop from tasting the hay. He looks very sweet, here, the temperament of both parents. He sure has a deep, thick coat. Good thing b/c it was in the 20's overnight and hard frost this a.m.

Well, there he is, growing up and getting strong. Need to spend more time w/him since all has been so chaotic since he showed up. He does see me and call out to me when I come into the pasture, and I am not forcing any contact other than checking his bellybutton. Very cute to hear that little squealing, squeaking whinny and the way he raises his nose and pricks his ears.

default_smile.png

Thanks for looking!

Liz M.

Oh he is just lovely... I love your pictures!

They capture those special newborn moments when everything is a big adventure, even discovering that strange thing called hay
default_smile.png

I have a silver buckskin, she is definately a similar color but was perhaos lighter as a baby, sorry that is not much help!!

I am sure this precious baby is helping you get through this tough period..... ah the miracle of new life
default_yes.gif
:

He's such a doll baby, Liz! I thoroughly enjoyed your pics and it gave me a nice baby fix! ;)

On the color I don't think I can be a lot of help. But I've only had one silver buckskin and she was a golden cream color as a baby. I'll post a pic here for you to see. If you want to see her now I have a recent pic on my mares pages.

honey3.jpg

Thanks, Debi and capall beag, too! Just wish I could share the way he smells, too, it's so sweeeeet like his little fuzzy muzzle. *LOL*

His little mane looks just like a wisp of smoke going up his neck, it is so greyish and soft looking mixed w/the creamy hairs. His sire had the buckskin frosting at either side of his mane and tail, so I'm figuring this guy has it, too, so that lightens the look of it some, but I would think it would be blacker if it were going to truly be black.

Hard to tell,

Liz M.

Blessing is a silver buckskin...here's some pics of her in her younger days. :lol:

100_2041.jpg

littlebeauty.jpg

nursing1.jpg

Blessing-21month.jpg

barnbum

Barnbum.....I'm not so sure that Blessing is a "Silver Buckskin".
default_unsure.png
:

Her mane & tail are SO black in these shots. But I know they aren't recent....so I went to the other thread you have showing Blessing & Whisper now....thought maybe they had lightened up as she aged. Blessing's mane & tail still show no signs of Silver tho. She has the typical coloring of a "straight" Buckskin, IMO
default_yes.gif
: But she IS adorable!
default_wub.png
:

I am getting ready to do his AMHA papers and AMHR, too, and want to list him properly (do they even have a place for silver buckskin?)

Curious what you think about his coloration, though. For those that don't know, sire is a non-silver golden or light buckskin depending on the season (black points) son of LK White Russian, dam is a blood bay (no way silver on his side), dam is a sorrel that has produced one silver dapple colt by a smokey black stallion, so we know it's her that carries it.

Here are the pics, it was cold this a.m. and he was not feeling like showing his little tricks, but he posed kinda nice:

buck8dayshead.jpg

This pic to me shows a typical blue baby eye, which will turn the common brown that most horses' eyes are, and I hear or see so many people saying oh, but he has blue eyes, these type will NOT stay blue, but will turn medium to dark brown. Cute face!

buck8dwalk.jpg

He's not sure about me being so close, so he starts to leave...look at his lonnng legs. Daddy was generous w/those.
Liz....that little boy is stunning! :aktion033: And there is no mistaking his color as Silver Buckskin....he has all the classic signs.
default_yes.gif
: You are going to have fun "unwrapping" him when the weather gets warmer! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Liz, he is just so dog-gone cute I just want to scoop him up and cuddle him! Congrats again on a wonderful colt!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Oh Liz, he is just the purtiest thing! I'm glad he'll be staying. Nothing like the smell and feel and sound of a new baby to heal a heart and soul.

I know he is not the same color, but this ones little face reminds me so much of Mouse. He is so adorable!!!

Aw there is Mouse-Man's Bro'! He needs some "Nair" for that beard he is workin' on! Is he going to come to Sea Tac as a gelding? He looks a lot like the color Promo was when he was little. Wonder if he is a dun variation, or a light buckskin. Sure is pretty. Bet he turns out like Incredible. I think his nick-Name should be one of the other "Fab Five. Since Mouse is "Carson". Mouse will help him with his grooming techniques when he can get him away from Mama!

Liz - I would say that he IS a silver buckskin. I had a filly last year that was a silver buckskin and wrote that on her registration application. They did put silver buckskin on her paper, but in the studbook she is listed as SBS.

He is a cutie!!
default_wub.png
:

I have been thinking the same thing about the silver buckskin w/the mane and tail being so charcoal-ish instead of black even though some of that is the light stripe along each side helping to lighten the color (his sire has that same frosting, much like a Fjord does, but the stripe down the middle is black black).

Dona, what are the classic signs of silver buckskin, if you don't mind me asking?
default_smile.png

Kim, we will see what Dr. Hunter has to say about the gelding procedure! I really hope so, even though I am almost 100% sure he'd be the only guy in his class, I like to show my commitment to the geldings and nothing says commitment like gelding an otherwise fabulous colt and showing him as a weanling. 'Course the recipe is still available. *LOL*

Thanks, everyone, he is very beautiful and getting more and more active and sure of himself every day. He LOVES to go tease the other horses and get close to them and vex his momma then runs away doing the "chew chew" thing when the other horses get too close, his little tail tucked down hard between his hindquarters. *LOL*

He is for sale, though, because right now we're at 100% capacity for stalls, and so a few of them have to move along before next Winter. But of course he's staying til he's weaned at least ! I will have fun showing him until then.
default_smile.png

Liz

Liz....I'm going by the "smokey" look of his mane & tail. (just like you see on Silver-Bay foals) Yes, most buckskins will have the lighter hairs along the SIDES of the black mane & tail....but a Silver-Buckskin's usual black mane & tail will be diluted to a "smokey" or gray color all over. Sometimes the mane will look black, but if you part the hair, you can easily see the gray coming in down by the skin. But with your guy...there is no question. A Silver-Buckskin's lower legs will be diluted to a lighter shade as well...but the darker coloring on them can sometimes take a few years to develop completely. They WILL be darker shade than his body....but it will take some time to know exactly how dark they will end up being.

He sure is a sight to behold! Very regal looking!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz -

He is absolutely beautiful!!!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: Is there anyway you can post a photo of the sire? I'm just curious as to what he looks like --

Liz R.

Liz, hopefully you can see the one that CAM, (Debra), his new owner has posted. He is over there in the beautiful high desert of Oregon enjoying a whole new harem and I'm very excited to see what he gets for '07 after seeing this little man.

Kyan (his nickname for now) seems to have nice reach and extension and definitely likes to lift that head up and look alertly around his world. He's going to be FUN to show. I nominated him for a couple Futurities, so I think he may have some $$$ in his future even aside from the gelding money I am almost already counting! *LOL*

Thanks, Dona, I figured that, too, about the charcoal/smokey looking mane and tail. When he was dry, I thought he had the silver gene in addition to the dilute gene. Neat-O! I do appreciate your taking the time to explain your observations, though.

Liz

Latest posts

Back