7 month old kicking when its feed time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limu1222

Reaction score
Hi I am a newbie to minis and only had older horses yrs ago, only for a few yrs, never had a baby. Ive only had him for 2 weeks. He started out kind of kicking a lil toward my lab when I fed him, sorta telling the dog back off. Well now, he was kicking at me this morning, turning his butt my direction, before I even gave him his feed but had it in my hand. The dog was outside the fence and not near him and apart from feed time, they love to run and play. I had been telling him in a sharp voice......eeeehhhh but this morning he prob kicked about 5 times total, sometimes with both feet, he was 4 to 5 ft away from me but backing up towards me. I lightly popped his rump with a lil whip and he did it again, so I repeated the eeeeeehhhhh and tapped his rump again. I rubbed the whip on his rump while he ate and he would pick a foot up every now and then like he was going to kick and I gave him the firm eeeehhh again until he finally got the message. What am I doing wrong or need to do differently? Put the halter on and lead him to the feed ? Tie him? Not sure but I want this corrected asap. Any other time you can go all around him and he did great with the farrier as well.

I think you are on the right track. I would insist he stay back while I place his feed, being as firm as I had to to make the point (that means if he pushes to hard I will smack him very firmly (on the chest or rump)with the whip to back him up. Once he has his food and I allow him to go to it I would just leave him to eat in peace. I don't mess with my horses when they are eating unless I absolutely have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are on the right track. I would insist he stay back while I place his feed, being as firm as I had to to make the point (that means if he pushes to hard I will smack him very firmly (on the chest or rump)with the whip to back him up. Once he has his food and I allow him to go to it I would just leave him to eat in peace. I don't mess with my horses when they are eating unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks. I hear conflicting advice..lol...some say leave them alone when feeding, others say fool with them. I know with dogs, some are more territorial with food and ideally you want to be able to reach in food bowl, but to me, no biggie if I just kennel one when I feeding. Just dont want a biter in a dog and surely don't want a kicker in a horse.

I had a Shetland colt try that with me. I had dumped his feed then stepped back to check his water, and out of the corner of my eye I saw feet dancing. Let me tell you, I wacked him with the bucket in my hand and made him go back into the corner and STAY there until *I* said he could eat. He'd step to the side and I'd step in front. It wasn't until he gave me a "happy" face and put his ears up that I let him eat. Then I'd leave him alone. Now he quietly waits until I say he can eat.

If he doesn't stop, no more "lightly" popping. Make him think he's gonna die and scream at him. Don't beat him but one good smack beats out a light pop. 3 second rule. You hollar for three seconds then quit.

I absolutely agree with field of dreams. I am not saying go in and harass him while he is eating (although my horses allow me to do anything with them while they eat). What I am saying is, no matter what, if my horse(s) tried any crud with me, regardless of what they are doing....eating, playing , drinking......they better respect me or they will be put in the proper pecking order. It may sound harsh,but trust me, it is nothing compared to horses establishing pecking order amongst themselves.

While I don't "mess with" my horses unnecessarily while they are eating... If I tell them to back off, they better do it or I will take whatever means necessary to get them to back off.

Your horse sees a weakness in you and is taking advantage of it. You are on the right track.

Put simply, horses have a pecking order. In the wild, there is a boss mare and you must 'mimick' the boss mare. In the wild, the boss wont take any unacceptable behaviour from lower ranked horses in the herd. At home, YOU are the boss.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Keep at it and eventually he will get the idea. Make him stand back out of the way while you put his feed down and he may get it when YOU are ready. Dont take any less. Teach him manners now before he grows up
default_smile.png
Good luck and keep us posted

I agree with everything that has been said. I am not one to fool over my horses incessently while they're eating unless I am correcting a specific problem. But, they better tolerate me handling them while they're eating if I need to, or there will be consequences. All of mine are fine with me handling them while they eat. But, I try to leave them be while they're eating unless I have to go in.

When one kicks at me .... I will connect with whatever I have in my hand at the time. I will not EVER put up with it.

He is doing better. Several things.....I purposely made sure the dog wasnt out to see if he acted differently and he did. I still put the end of the whip across his chest and told him BACK and had no problems. Today he did much better just telling him back and then the dog came running up and he kicked a lil, opposite direction of me or the dog, I gave him the firm Eeeeehhhh! I think he sees the dog as a threat to his food. Otherwise, him and the dog run and play. Thanks for all the good info and advice!

You are probably right that the dog was the catalyst here, but it would quickly become and excuse if you were not asserting yourself. Without any equine companionship this colt will look to you for everything. Of course my immediate advise would be to get another horse- I ALWAYS say that! - your problems would pretty much disappear overnight with the introduction of gelding for your colt and a gelding as a friend- a mature lad with some manners would be useful! If this really is not possible then you are going to have to be on your toes form now on, as this will be the first of many little "japes" he will try to see how far he can push his boundaries. This is normal, all animals - humans included- do this, and you just have to accept that growing up has it's trials. It also has many, many joys so prepare yourself, you have just entered a world of potential wonder. You sound as if you are well on the way to getting your boy under control, just keep on this way and you will be fine.

You are probably right that the dog was the catalyst here, but it would quickly become and excuse if you were not asserting yourself. Without any equine companionship this colt will look to you for everything. Of course my immediate advise would be to get another horse- I ALWAYS say that! - your problems would pretty much disappear overnight with the introduction of gelding for your colt and a gelding as a friend- a mature lad with some manners would be useful! If this really is not possible then you are going to have to be on your toes form now on, as this will be the first of many little "japes" he will try to see how far he can push his boundaries. This is normal, all animals - humans included- do this, and you just have to accept that growing up has it's trials. It also has many, many joys so prepare yourself, you have just entered a world of potential wonder. You sound as if you are well on the way to getting your boy under control, just keep on this way and you will be fine.
Thanks for the post. I am already feeling as though he must be lonely being the only equine on the place.
default_sad.png
Its just not possible to add another right now. Makes my heart sad for him but I work with him everyday. The dog goes and plays with him, I know its not the same species but in hopes they become great buddies. I am trying to spend alot of time with him! Ive fallen in love with the lil guy!

The best thing you could do is keep his paddock constantly changing with new toys and you can even hide treats for him to search for through the day. You don't even have to get new toys often - just changing the setup and layout of where things are will be enough to get him to explore the area and not become bored.

You should look into trick Training as well as it will give him an outlet to put his energy and focus into.

Whatever you do will never take the place of another horse I am afraid. He is trying to "play" with you as if you were another horse and you are going to have to make up your mind if you want to be his friend or his master- for a while you cannot be both, not until you have his respect. I would get him gelded asap, and see if he settles a little after this, but I would never allow a foal of mine to go to a place that has no other horses- no other minis is OK as horses are horses, but no other horses? The foal must be desolate! Horses are together 24 hours a day, and you going out now and then is not going to cut it. He will quickly get too much for your dog, and may hurt him, even though some dogs do make good friends with horses it is usually when the horse has a choice, not when it is being forced to use the dog as a substitute "horse". Can you really not sit down and work out how you could fit another in? Chances Rescue are BOUND to have a nice mature gelding......

The best thing you could do is keep his paddock constantly changing with new toys and you can even hide treats for him to search for through the day. You don't even have to get new toys often - just changing the setup and layout of where things are will be enough to get him to explore the area and not become bored.

You should look into trick Training as well as it will give him an outlet to put his energy and focus into.
I am starting trick training already. I plan to train him to be a Therapy Horse. What sort of toys do you use? He doesnt seem too intersted in the Jolly Ball. I am getting him a big ball.

Whatever you do will never take the place of another horse I am afraid. He is trying to "play" with you as if you were another horse and you are going to have to make up your mind if you want to be his friend or his master- for a while you cannot be both, not until you have his respect. I would get him gelded asap, and see if he settles a little after this, but I would never allow a foal of mine to go to a place that has no other horses- no other minis is OK as horses are horses, but no other horses? The foal must be desolate! Horses are together 24 hours a day, and you going out now and then is not going to cut it. He will quickly get too much for your dog, and may hurt him, even though some dogs do make good friends with horses it is usually when the horse has a choice, not when it is being forced to use the dog as a substitute "horse". Can you really not sit down and work out how you could fit another in? Chances Rescue are BOUND to have a nice mature gelding......
He is the only mini , guess I needed to make myself clear, sorry. It has been my understanding that minis bond with goats, cats, dogs and other animals. He hasnt tried kicking since I corrected him and posted this. He has been doing great.

You should look into trick Training as well as it will give him an outlet to put his energy and focus into
Oops I posted too soon. Anyway, thanks for input and if you have any recommendations on toys yours like, please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never expect a young colt to bond with those animals. My youngest mini, a filly, will grab a cat in her mouth and bite/pick him up and, if she can't get hold of him, go after him with her front feet. I have many that will go after cats and dogs with intent to kill. A number of mine would surely chase or stomp a goat as well. A young colt is very likely to chase and torment smalletr animals. I would be cautious of allowing him and the dog to play--even if the dog doesn't ordinarily get too rough (and a dog playing with a horse can suddenly turn into a predator who attacks instead of plays) it sometimes happens that the horse does something to hurt the dog--bites, steps on, kicks--and the dog goes into self defense mode and turns on the horse. I've seen it happen.

I do tie them up if anyone is acting badly when I am feeding. And I do mess with them during feeding only when going through this process. I normally leave them alone to eat in peace but when they are challenging me, all bets are off and here comes the halter. They HAVE to accept me into their space because it is MY space and I control that and they need to know they are not allowed to run me off or threaten me. It doesn't take long for them to get it..

To cop a phrase from Rabbit "horses do not speak goat"or dog or anything except their own species.

This is a baby horse. He is in a strange place, taken from his mama, put in a trailer, hauled to your place without a friend of his own. This is not fair to him. He doesn't know what to do or who to do what to at this point so he does need another horse to learn how to be a horse. At CMHR we even passed a policy a few years ago that we do not adopt to one horse homes, but we can try to remedy your situation if you qualify to adopt a horse. We are presently having a special Valentine program going on now and we do have companion horses that are nice and gentle. Send me a message. If you are a youth, have your parents contact me.

I do tie them up if anyone is acting badly when I am feeding. And I do mess with them during feeding only when going through this process. I normally leave them alone to eat in peace but when they are challenging me, all bets are off and here comes the halter. They HAVE to accept me into their space because it is MY space and I control that and they need to know they are not allowed to run me off or threaten me. It doesn't take long for them to get it..

To cop a phrase from Rabbit "horses do not speak goat"or dog or anything except their own species.

This is a baby horse. He is in a strange place, taken from his mama, put in a trailer, hauled to your place without a friend of his own. This is not fair to him. He doesn't know what to do or who to do what to at this point so he does need another horse to learn how to be a horse. At CMHR we even passed a policy a few years ago that we do not adopt to one horse homes, but we can try to remedy your situation if you qualify to adopt a horse. We are presently having a special Valentine program going on now and we do have companion horses that are nice and gentle. Send me a message. If you are a youth, have your parents contact me.
Thanks alot Marty. I would love to have another one but honestly can't at this time. I looked at the ones listed and looks like some sweethearts. The 20 yr old gelding looked nice. My heart goes out to neglected rescued animals, having volunteered for our local humane society and working for a vet , I have seen some fatal neglect cases in horses and dogs. Its really sad how some treat animals. I will definitely keep watching the CMHR site and when I am able, will contact you.

Back