5 day panacur question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to do the 5 day fenbendazole purge on one of my horses. I called the vet to ask about it, and he is not knowledgeable. So I called an equine center. They told me Safeguard has a larvaecide dose on the package and to use that per my horse's weight. My vet has the powder and liquid, but not the paste. I've never used anything but the paste, so I am not sure what to do. I've never done a 5 day thing before. I am assuming that Safeguard and Panacur are brand names of the same product?

Can someone advise me exactly what to do?

I haven't personally compared the labels, but my vet says they are not the same thing. That being said, I have not used the panacur. When I do the 5 days with safeguard I double the dose.

I use Safeguard for the 5-day treatment.....

I double the weight, and treat (each day) at the "doubled weight".

(So if the horse is 250 lbs..... for the 5-day treatment, dose at 500 lbs each day.)

Seems kinda odd....... but that is how I understand it should be done.
default_smile.png

Panacur and safegaurd have the same active ingrediant. To do the 5 day treatment (I usually do it after the first frost and in early spring) you do a double dose once a day for 5 days. The tractor supply Store usually has a LARGE tube (like OMG large size tube) of safegaurd between their horse and cattle stuff. Panacur can also be purchased in a box of 5 tubes, called the powerpak, same ingrediant, you just get a bulk price, its great if your doing several minis, not economical if you are only doing one mini.

I use Safeguard for the 5-day treatment..... I double the weight, and treat (each day) at the "doubled weight".

(So if the horse is 250 lbs..... for the 5-day treatment, dose at 500 lbs each day.)

Seems kinda odd....... but that is how I understand it should be done.
default_smile.png
That's exactly how it's done.

They are the same drug. Kind of weird but my vet when in vet school worked on summer for the drug manufactor. The same company makes both drugs.

Just Panacur was made for Vets to sell and Safegaurd was the OTC product.

Just a little useless bit of info.

Barb

I don't have any 'bigs' at this time, so don't know for sure, but think the "Powerpak" is likely a needlessly expensive way to go--perhaps if you had multiple minis it would be OK....

I use the 4000 lb. dose "Safe-guard"; it is pretty simple to give a 500 lb. dose(the 'double' for a 250 lb. mini, and in my experience, many in the 33-34" neighborhood weigh close to that. I did the math, and it is the least expensive way when you have several, to numerous, horses to dose.

Perhaps the 'original' intent was to sell Panacur only through vets, and Safe-guard OTC, but nowadays, you can order both OTC. The Panacur is almost always, in any size paste syringe packaging, higher priced, in my experience.

Margo

If you are using the 10% liquid the dose is 5ml per 100lb, per day.

It is virtually impossible to overdose with Fenbendazole, and you can often get generic Fenbendazole much cheaper than Panacur/Safeguard.

It is exactly the same.

Latest posts

Back