5 Day/Double Dose Safeguard & Bred Mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder

Reaction score
We are getting ready to do our Power Pac worming and I wanted to check and see if you could do the 5 day/Double dose of safeguard followed by Ivermectrin Gold ten days later on preg mares? Stacy...Amy...what do you say?

Va Lynda Ann

Hi

Not sure what Power Pac is? If your mares have been wormed regularily I would not double dose them especially the bred ones. They won't need it. I think Ivermectin or Ivermectin Gold is all you need, or even safeguard regular dose.

I only double does new ones I know nothing about, or weanlings after a period of time if they keep the bloated look for no apparent reason.

Good luck,

Beth

Yes, it is perfectly safe- that's why it's called Safeguard
smile.gif
Seriously you would have to drown a horse in it to do any harm, and it does need doing, at least once a year. Ivermectin will not get encysted small strongyles only Fenbendazole 5 day course will and it is imperative in broodmares.

VaLynda,

It is OK to do the double dose of Panacur for the pregnant mares - both your girls were wormed very regularly while here with Ivermectin and Iv-Plus (the one for tape worms), and were also on Continuex daily wormer. If you do go ahead with the double dose I don't think it is advisable to hit them with the Ivermectin-Plus - the double dose should also get the tapes if that is what you are aiming at - but check with your vet to make sure

Give Beamer and Lace a big hug for me - and Beams likes to be scratched on her chest and her fat little fanny!
wink.gif

Stac

PS The "R & R" kids are doing great - not too long before they are heading your way!

Latest posts

Back