4H show, not my children but my horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
I have been teaching a couple local 4H kids about minis, as you know. They come twice a week and basically brush and play with the horses. I have taught them about trail/obstacle, halter, showmanship etc. Every week I teach them about a subject... like signs and reasons for colic, why water tanks should be heated, sand treatments, worming etc.

They asked me if they could use two horses for a couple of 4 H shows, and I will agree.

I will be doing most of the work clipping, using my show halter, trailering, filling the gas tank, paying for the new coggins, and of course fresh vaccinations( which I would have done anyway) and spending the day at the show( Both kids age 8 and 9, still let go of the lead line if any thing out of the ordinary happens, and I am afraid a horse will get let go and run off!)

Their parents will be there with the kids, and of course I will too.

Would it be CHEAP of me to ask the parents to pay for the kids entry fees? It will come to about $60.00

Tell me the truth, I don't want to be cheap. Either way, the ribbons will be the kids, of course.

Thanks!

They asked me if they could use two horses for a couple of 4 H shows, and I will agree.

Would it be CHEAP of me to ask the parents to pay for the kids entry fees? It will come to about $60.00

Tell me the truth, I don't want to be cheap. Either way, the ribbons will be the kids, of course.

Thanks!
They asked you if they could show your horses, I say in that case, they pay the entry fees or at best you split the fees. I don't think it's being cheap to expect them to pay the entry fees.

We've always worked it that if they ask to use our horses,the entry fee's are their responsibility. If I ask them to show my horse, I pay the entry fee. I've had some shows where someone is lacking a horse to show and asks to use one of ours. I don't mind getting them ready and to the show(especially if I've already got horses going to the show anyways), but it's their responsibility to pay the entry fee's. If I am short a handler or want a horse shown that I don't have time to show, I'll take care of the entry fee's.

I don't think you are being "cheap" at all by asking them to pay the entry fee's. You are already paying for gas, coggins,etc. And, it's a show you are making a "special trip" for and hadn't planned on bringing horses for yourself to show. They should be happy you are only having them pay entry fee's. Many people would make them pay the gas, a fee for getting the horses ready,etc.

Jen

Here Sandy (4h leader) has about 30 horses and 3/4 of them are leased out we pay the entry fees and gas money and we recive all the winnings
default_smile.png

I do not think it is cheap or rude for you to ask that the kids pay the entrance fees. You should discuss it with their parents in advance so it's not a surprise on show day.

I have a brother and sister that show two of mine. Their parents pay for the classes help get them ready before the show, during the show, and after. There's nothing wrong with them paying especiallly if they asked. One of them is going for end of the year high point right now and I am so proud.

Last year i didnt have much help at our local fair which was much more relaxed then the rest of our shows, basically just for fun. I had 2 geldings in the same class and had a girl (MDMminis) from the forum show one for me. I paid the entry fee's, got her and her mom a week pass and then she got to keep the ribbon. So basically i paid for everything.

Thats just what i did. If i were you, i would ask they pay the entry fees or atleast try. For stall ext, maybe you could pay but for the actual showing i'd have them pay the class fee.

Let them earn it. Make out a chore list and let them work off the fees.

That is the purpose of 4H, learning responsibility and how to budget. If everything is given to them, and provided for free, they won't learn that responsibility.

yah I'm cheap!

Sandy here, 4-H leader of some of our forum kids.

I started off years ago paying the shot for everything but I only had a couple kids

back then.

As we started to grow in size & #'s I realized they needed to take the responsibility

of paying for any horses they wished to show. It works well I think...the kids train

& practise hard for the classes as they are paying for it. As always they receive

the ribbons & prize $.

You ask, you pay. They ask, they pay!

I think that's only fair. You're already going above and beyond in my opinion.

Hey Robin, Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this come up here a couple of years ago?

They should by all means pay the entree fees and also do the work involved in preparing them for showing.

They should consider that this is a privledge that you are extending to them.

Don't be shy. Tell the parents to anny up!
default_yes.gif
:

Not sure about your area, but I do know in our county the 4-H requires the kids have a lease on file for 60 days prior to a show in order to show that horse. I am sure it is done differently around the country, even tho we own our horses, my daughter has to have this paper on file in the county office.

I think that thier parents should pay the fees and I agree as a 4-H horse leader, that the kids need to learn responsibilty no matter how old. I like the having them work around your farm idea also.

I always told people who wanted to show my horses that if I pay the fees, I get to keep any ribbons!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sounds kinda petty, but it does make them think about why they want to show... if they wanted a chance at winning ribbons, they ponyed up the dough!
default_yes.gif
:

Often we divided it up - if the class was judged on the horse, I'd pay, if judged on the rider, they'd pay. I usually took care of getting the horses there and staying through the show - on the weekend Arabian shows, that meant staying in a stall or tack room and paying the stall fees as well. After all that dough, the ribbons started to matter! :new_shocked:

With the minis, if people are helping me, I pay all the fees and we usually divvy up the ribbons somehow, at the very least I give them photos of themselves the horses and the ribbons!
default_rolleyes.gif
: These have been grown-up friends, not kids, though.

No, I don't think your at all be cheap by wanting them to pay the show fees. Especially since you are doing all the prep work. I have a niece who has been showing my mini's the past few years and I pay all the expenses and do all the work she just shows up to take the horse to the show. This year however, I have already told her that she needs to start earning being able to show the horses as it is a priviledge. She is 14 and old enough to learn that everything is not going to be handed to her. So maybe if you don't want to ask for the money you can have them do chores and help prepare the horses for the shows. I am hoping this will make my niece appreciate the horses more.

Just my 2 cents.

Tammie~

We have several grandkids that travel with us & show our horses.

We teach them grooming, showing, train them (kids) & horses & driving - we supply the carts, horses & harness, and show halters. They help groom & exercise - are learning to clip (some already know how & have their own clippers) It works well.

They all pay their own entry fees -- all the way to the Nationals -- they keep the ribbons, the cash they win & at Nationals they keep thier ribbons, Plaques & silver trays they won.

We all have a wonderful time. Several of them have gon on to college, married life etc., but we have had a wonderful time spent together showing hores.

It teaches them responsibility .

They choose the horse they want to show and it is up to them to put in the required hours of work on that horse to be able to show it.

They have done very well & worked hard & we are very proud of them.

Latest posts

Back