4H project horse, what does this mean?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opie7441

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]I'm familiar w/ 4H, but what does it mean when you see a sale listing, "....would make a good 4H project." [/SIZE]

I always wonder but haven't asked......
cheeky-smiley-006.gif

4H is set up by seasons, usually a year. the kids decide which programs they want to participate in, and make a plan. If they are doing ag projects, usually they raise livestock or crops from the beginning to market. If it is horses, they raise a colt or train a horse to show. Each program they participate in is called a "project". They

may keep records of weight gain,feed given, dates wormed, injections given,vet visits, making note of problems, training details, etc etc.... the project is usually over at the end of the summer when the 4H shows are held, and new projects are signed up for. projects can be from many different areas, art, ag, home ec, etc....

and they can sign up for more than one at a time. it is customary in our area to free lease or donate colts to 4H'ers for projects rather than sell them, though some parents spend big bucks on project animals, this allows many youngsters who might not otherwise participate to get involved.

[SIZE=14pt]Is it the individual that wins that has the best animal conformation, records or behaving animal or all of the above??[/SIZE]

usually when someone advertises a horse as a good 4H project they mean that the horse will be easily handled by children. In our clubs in Canada there wasn't technically a "winner" of the project per se. Each person was graded bronze, silver, or gold for each project depending on how many of the project requirements were fulfilled. If you did all the required work you got a gold on your certificate, so everyone could technically "win".

However, there are also shows. 4H horse shows worked the same as as other horse shows are judged and our kids accumulated points from the shows to get "high point" at the end of the year. I don't believe there were halter classes, rather showmanship was the class aside from regular riding and driving classes.

In adition, for all projects (equine, other animal, crafts, cooking, woodworking etc) there are different levels of competion from local to provincial to national where the quality of the project is judged, for horses this is again a regular horse show similar to regionals and nationals where they compete against each counties (or provinces!)high point winners I believe.

So the long and short of your answer is yes, all of the above and each seperate. I don't believe the horses conformation was judged, but other livestock was. I showed rabbits and others showed cattle, sheep, ducks, goats etc etc and all these were shown both showmanship and confomation. Horses were, as far as I remember, just shown showmanship.

OH, and if you have any kids of your own, check out the 4H program. I loved it and it taught me a LOT. There are also regular public speaking etc contests each year!

Latest posts

Back