4 or 5 tornadoes in Southern Ontario

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twister

Reaction score
Well 4 or 5 tornadoes touched down in Southern Ontario yesterday, the hardest hit were Durham just north of here and Vaughan in the greater Toronto area. My daughter and her boyfriend were camping in the conservation area at Durham, just before the tornado rolled in they took a walk to Durham and were there when the first tornado hit. They had left her car back at the campsite. When they got back to the conservation area there was devestation everywhere, the gatehouse was gone, 50 ft trees were uprooted, hydro lines and poles were all over the place. The only place in the whole camping area that wasn't destroyed was her campsite, her car was undamaged and the tent was still up. Her angel must have been working overtime, I was so relieved when she called me. Sadly an 11 year old boy died in that tornado .

They only allowed her in to take her car, they had to leave all their stuff there and they have to go up this afternoon to retrieve it.

Yvonne

l just watched a clip on it on the noon news didn't look pleasent says there might be more bad weather to come...l hate tornadoes only lived through one that was enough.

I'm just terrified of them, I don't know whether it is better to have the horses in or out, they can't find 2 barns up in Durham, they don't know where they were taken. This has been a very bad summer for storms, rain, cold and then tornadoes. I just thank my lucky stars that Alex wasn't hurt.

Yvonne

Oh Yvonne....I'm so glad your daughter and her boyfriend were alright! How sad about the little boy and how very scary!! I too get a bit rattled in storms like that. Been thru one about 25 years ago in southern NJ no less...can you believe it? Don't ever want to do it again. Hubby called a bit ago and is working overtime...there is a storm rollling in this evening. He's with the big electric company here so he has to work during times like these. This year certainly has been very weird for weather. We're in a heat wave right now....I really can't wait for fall and the beginning of winter. (Never thought I'd say that about winter, but the summer this year has been horrible!)

Did you hear about the tornado at Royal Canadian Riding Academy (aka IESS as well as many other names
default_wink.png
) near Newmarket??

There was a show going on....ponies, horses, people, trailers...luckily no one was seriously hurt.

Report on the news last night was one of the ponies that was all tacked up, just finished the show, was airborn for a bit, though it was also reported and confirmed that no people or equines were hurt during the storm. Many trailers flipped (one had a pony and a couple people in it, another had some teenagers in it taking cover from the storm), fences, hydro poles down, roof ripped off one of the barns......

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...=TorontoNewHome

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=99258&id=507858111

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1331...mp;l=69aa927615

Also 200 homes in the Vaughan (Toronto) area were seriously damaged...

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNe...1/?hub=CP24Home

Durham sounded pretty 'banged' up too.....

Prayers and good thoughts to all.....

~kathryn

Last edited by a moderator:
Kathryn I did hear about the Royal Canadian Riding Academy, luckily no body was hurt or the horses. They were putting people up in the legion in Durham because the arena and the community centre was gone and the community rallied around and put people up in their homes. My daughter went back today, they weren't allowed to take their camping stuff last night and they had to leave her car a km away and get trucked in by the emergency personnel. Vaughan was devastated too, I saw a picture of a house with its back wall gone and the bookshelves were still there with all the books in.

Sterling I too hope for winter ,I never would have said that before now but these storms we are having this summer are too much, temps all over the place. Hope your hubby keeps safe in your storm and you also.

Yvonne

OMG Yvonne! How scarey for you. I'm so glad that Alex and her boyfriend were being watched over. I wonder why they wouldn't allow them to take their camping gear along with the car?

So sad about the young boy. Tornados sure can do a lot of damage.
default_no.gif

Oh Yvonne, I'm so glad your daughter and her boyfriend are ok. They must have been totally freaked out, I know I would have been. It was sad about the little boy. Was he in the same conservation area?

The tornado in Vaughan was only 15 minutes north of us. Scary! I feel so badly for all whose houses were damaged as well.

OMG Yvonne! How scarey for you. I'm so glad that Alex and her boyfriend were being watched over. I wonder why they wouldn't allow them to take their camping gear along with the car?
So sad about the young boy. Tornados sure can do a lot of damage.
default_no.gif
Because there were 2 tornadoes that touched down in Durham and there were hydro wires down all over the place, the campground was a wreck. Even yesterday they trucked them into their campsite they had to leave her car a kilometer away.

Yvonne

Latest posts

Back