3wk colt on pasterns???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the others that your sweet little thing is a dwarf.

If you were thinking of breeding the mare again, I would ask you to think again, dwarfism is hereditary and has to be carried by both parents to be expressed fully.

Even breeding to another stallion, the mare would be passing on her half of the dwarf gene to 50% of her foals.

If you stick with Bill and Janell you will not go far wrong!

I agree with the others that your sweet little thing is a dwarf.

If you were thinking of breeding the mare again, I would ask you to think again, dwarfism is hereditary and has to be carried by both parents to be expressed fully.

Even breeding to another stallion, the mare would be passing on her half of the dwarf gene to 50% of her foals.

If you stick with Bill and Janell you will not go far wrong!
No worries! My intention was to never breed the mare again before the foal was born and even if the colt had a been a perfect little guy, the mare had too many GI problems and discomfort during her pregnancy that I would never have placed her in a home to be bred again. IF the day would come that I would need to part with her. This was to be our "last" foal ever! I wish we could have gone out with a bang and a gorgeous driving prospect. That wasn't to be... we'll love on Boomer as long as we can and try to do the best we can for him. The stud was gelded 2 months before the colt was born, so no worries there either.
default_smile.png

Good luck with your little colt. Just because he is a Dwarf, doesn't mean he can't live a very long, happy life....and he will undoubtedly bring much joy to you & anyone else who comes to know him!
yes.gif

Thank you for the encouragement and to the others who replied also!!! Thank you, Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Christie,

Our filly had such terribly contracted heals that when the vet looked at them he said she had suspensory ligament damage and well as flexor tendon damage. That the only fix was amputation or several years of surgery and casting, so we put her down. But her pasterns were so tight against her, there was just no hope. But your foal is on the road to happy healthy life.

I helped a friend with he dwarf filly. We did the majic shoes, they worked great and Faith did so well. She now lives with a family who has devoted themelves to dwarfs. If you would like I can ask Kathy to PM you. She has so much info and could really help you. Let me know if you are interested.

Ellen

Latest posts

Back