3wk colt on pasterns???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions. Our only and first mini foal was born 3 weeks ago. We believe 6 weeks late. I had Shetland foals ( last born was 6 years ago) and was fortunate to not have any problems. This mare was uncomfortable for most her last 3 months and kept us on our toes. The foal was not position correctly but I was able to find those front legs and he was delivered with little trouble. He weighed 20.9# at birth and about 16 inches tall. So wind swept it was hard to get a accurate measurement. He was born with a underbite 1 inch off, the first few days it was very difficult for the colt to nurse by the 7th day the underbite had improved to a little more than 1/8 of a inch . He was down on his fetlocks but was improving, this past week there has not been any noticeable improvement and he's still on his pasterns and the right rear leg looks twisted. With his increasing weight I know it's a problem to those weak legs. He now weighs about 34#. My vet had little to suggest. I have a new vet coming Tuesday evening ( as soon as i could get her). We have not used splints or braces as my first vet thought they wouldn't help. I would love to hear of any things that worked or didn't work with those that have had any similar foals. Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are some on here that have encountered similar issues and can help. A picture would definitely help. I'm sure that there is something that can be done to help the little guy. Hope this other vet can help you.

Can I post pictures without uploading them in album? I presently don't have access to my website after a computer failure, to upload pictures and place pictures in the post from a url. I'm not familar with this forum. Thanks,

Christie

Can I post pictures without uploading them in album? I presently don't have access to my website after a computer failure, to upload pictures and place pictures in the post from a url. I'm not familar with this forum. Thanks,

Christie

If you upload them on photobucket all you have to do is reply to this post, click the little icon to the left of the envelope icon at the top of the post, backspace the "http://" ,then paste the direct link (from photobucket) and there you go
smile.gif
If you can't figure it out you can email me the pictures and I'd be glad to post them for you (just PM me for email) I wish I could help you out, but I don't have enough experience to give any advice other than wait for the vet...helping to post pictures is about as much as I can do
laugh.gif
I hope everything works out for your little guy!

Christie,

A few years back we had a filly that had contract heals. I don't know how much of these things can be used for your foal, but maybe ask your vet. We did Oxy Tet injections over the course of three days. Splinted her, and she also recieve s+e injections and a+d injections, which my vet referred to as ortho in a bottle.

I hope this helps and good luck, keep us posted.

Christie,

A few years back we had a filly that had contract heals.
Thank you Ellen. The new vet suggested the s&e injection on the phone so hopefully she will be more help than my previous vet.

What was the outcome for your filly? Your post is much appreciated!!!!

Thank you!

I had a colt born this year with legs like you described. Down on the pasturns, each leg going a different direction, tipping over and walking on the sides of his hooves, one of his knees buckled when he tried to walk, then his momma stepped on him and he had that problem too so although it was not broken he could not walk on that leg at all and it turned out also.

I put him on rejuvenate and let me tell you, his legs are perfect now! He was nearly a month old when I heard about this stuff, gave it to him for over two weeks. It is wonderful stuff, at the time I got mine they were giving it away for free, shipping too. I don't have the link any longer, but perhaps someone here can post it again. Not sure it is still free but any cost it is worth the investment.

Most of the time the shots you are talking about must be started immediately after birth to be effective as I recall that is.

Good luck with your baby!

** Be careful using splints and braces, you can cause sores etc.

If your foal was 6 weeks late, and being born with the serious underbite (that corrected itself so quickly) and having the dystocia--those things would suggest to me that this foal was born hypothyroid....congenital hypothyroidism causes all those things. It can also cause front leg issues--generally weak extensor tendons--but it doesn't sound like your foal has those issues.

A foal that is seriously windswept can take up to a couple of months to get its legs straightened out. I would say there's time yet for your foal to straight up on its pasterns (though without seeing photos I'm just guessing, as I have no idea just how bad it really is). The twisting of the hindleg now is a problem--and again, without seeing it I can't really say a lot. I know many people are opposed to splinting, but sometimes it really is the best thing. I know someone who had a foal that she waited on, and then finally did splinting and some casting, and she sure wished that she had done it sooner--the splinting & casting did help, but it didn't fix the damage done to the legs while the foal was walking on them without the extra support--she feels that if she had splinted much sooner would have been much less damage. The horse is still at a young age (well under 10) and has arthritis issues.

If the underbite was caused by dwarfism I have doubts that it would have corrected itself so much in just the first week?

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I started building a few web pages of the little guy we call Boomer. It was just as easy to do as the uploads and as long as I don't touch my main website files, I'm ok until I can rebuild my main website.

It's 3 pages so far and no text yet. We'll take updated pictures this afternoon with close ups and a UTube clip. It's storming here right now.

By tonight I should have the current pictures on the webpages.

http://bluerosesetters.com/boomer.htm

Thanks again!!!

Please be careful about splinting/wrapping your foal's legs. If the baby's tendons are already lax, wrapping will make them worse.

You may want to check out the magic shoes that WWW Minis designed (Bill and Wanalynn) I don't know their full names or location, but they are members on here. ***Can someone else help me with this info? I may even be wrong about their names! ***

I'd also like to stress that allowing the little one plenty of room to move around is a GOOD thing. We have seen horrible lax tendons, windswept front feet, etc.... at birth and within a week or two with good nourishment and exercise they were normal! (It's hard for any of us to fully judge your situation without a photo.)

Lastly, Mizbeth mentioned giving her horse a supplement. This reminded me that I didn't notice where you are. Are you in a low Selenium region? (Your vet will know) We are and so we give all of our foals a Selenium & E shot at birth. This does help the legs.

Wishing all the best with your little one!

Thank you all for the input. It's good stuff and all things to consider. We are in a low selenium area and all our horses are on a good selenuim suppliment, quality feeds and mineral block( w/selenium). If I had known about the injection earlier it would have been done earlier. He will get that Tuesday from this new vet. My vet was called at 3 days old, called again at 10 days old and had no suggestions or treatments for us. We had many a foal born on the farm and never a leg issue before now. It'a alway a learning experience with horses. This foal was planned as our very last foal to be born on our farm. I sold my Shetlands due to my health, this little guy was to be a foal born on our farm I could keep. I hope he can have a long and healthy life. I did get the video link and leg pictures on his webpages. I hope they are helpful. His pages again..

http://bluerosesetters.com/boomer.htm

a direct link to his video clip

http://www.youtube.c...u/5/TBvS1ssO8Qo

thanks again!!!

Hi Christie,

MiniV mentioned us above! I'm Bill Chapman with W W Miniature Horse Farm and we can help your baby! I'm going to write you in a PM! Thanks MiniV for remembering us and the little "Magic Shoes"!

Bill

Hi Christie,

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through, so I'll post it here!

I"m Bill Chapman with W W Miniature Horse Farm in East Tennessee! First off I must be honest and tell you that your little guy is a dwarf! But that doesn't mean he can't live a long healthy life! I studied the pix you posted on LB and your little guy can benifit from Magic Shoes. The shoes are made by Janell Jensen in Sealy, TX. She can also supply you with the glue to put them on with at wholesale pirce.Her email is "Janell Jensen" <[email protected]>; and her phone number is 832-217-0058. She will need for you to measure or trace each foot that needs a shoe! She will also instruct you on how to put them on! It's not hard at all! Janell and myself also run a forum on the web called Little Bit's, where we help anyone with a problem and you can ask all the questions you want! Here's a link to Little Bit's

http://wwminis.forumup.us/index.php?mforum=wwminis&sid=440516584f39d8b643d91bee6f130104

You can also call me at 423-418-4120 if you have any question about your baby! We have rescued several dwarf's over the years and everyone on Little Bit's has a lot of experience with caring for the dwarf's! One thing you don't want to do is splint the legs! It will only make them worse and cause pressure sore to develope! Hope this helps you!

Best regards

Bill

Hi Christie,

I tried to PM you but it wouldn't go through, so I'll post it here!

I"m Bill Chapman with W W Miniature Horse Farm in East Tennessee!
Hi Bill, Thank you for your post. I did visit a few days ago Janell's pages about Dwarves and read about the shoes. Thank you for the phone number and links too. I'm not sure why the email isn't working. I thought I had enabled it last night. I'll check again. My public forum email is refindedponies @ hotmail.com ( minus spaces ). Thank you for your encouragement of help. I'll be in touch soon.

Christie

Hi Christie,

I agree with Bill.....your little guy is a dwarf. What I noticed about him (besides the legs & underbite) is that he is very "thick" barreled & broad chested, which is very common with Dwarfs. He would benefit greatly with "Magic Shoes", and the information that Bill has given you about Dwarfs & Janell Jensen is superb!

I also agree with NOT splinting the legs. I went that route several years ago, with very bad results!

Good luck with your little colt. Just because he is a Dwarf, doesn't mean he can't live a very long, happy life....and he will undoubtedly bring much joy to you & anyone else who comes to know him!
default_yes.gif

I think Bill is right! and your litle guy can live a happy and productive life with the right care!!!! Best of luck to both of you!

"So wind swept it was hard to get a accurate measurement"

I have to ask....what is "wind swept" ?? I have never heard this terminology.

Windswept is a form of angular limb deformity that results in a foal which both rear legs to be abnormally angled, but in the same direction (as if blown that way by a strong wind). Any foal I've seen with this problem outgrows it in a few weeks time with proper nutrition.

Latest posts

Back