350...Too Fat?? & what color is he??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
I used a weight tape on Rocky Rocket today. He is about 348 pounds. Is that too fat for his body type and height?? He is 34 inches tall. I took these a few days ago and he is all wolly.

IMG_6413.JPG

IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6417.JPG

Also, What color is he? This is him in July. Now he has a LOT of white in his coat.

IMG_4507.JPG

rockyrocket012.jpg

Thanks!!
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Id call him a smutty buckskin - Ive always loved his color BTW
wub.gif

He doesnt really LOOK 348 pounds... I used a weight tape on my 39" mare when she was 8 months preggo and it said she was 350 pounds.

Eclipse was 31" and 220 pounds, Ernie was 32" and 260 pounds (And overweight) these were measureing with a weight tape.

Your guy does look a little over weight but I dont think Id be to worried about it, especally going into winter when there hair decives you - in his summer pictures he looks nice weight wise!

Well, I guess Rocky will be happy to hear that! He is turned out a lot, but does not run around much.

I was wondering about his color because he is so white right now!!

Thanks guys.

I would say he looks quit nice,
yes.gif
and dont look overly fat at all. I have a sooty buckskin mare that looks just like him!
wink.gif
Corinne

wow he's a chunker. hehe, but cute chunker....i wouldn't be concerned though because it is winter and he's not being shown. what color are his sire and dam? just curious
smile.gif

also.....mini colors can look totally different in winter coat vs a shaved mini.....don't worry abotu the white

Last edited by a moderator:
MooseLMJAsh said:
wow he's a chunker. hehe, but cute chunker....i wouldn't be concerned though because it is winter and he's not being shown. what color are his sire and dam? just curious
smile.gif

also.....mini colors can look totally different in winter coat vs a shaved mini.....don't worry abotu the white

503476[/snapback]

Ha HA!!! He is not registered! He is a rescue!! Nice of you to think he was a show horse though.
yes.gif
I have no idea what color his parents are. Also, he was not shaved in the summer pictures. That is just the color he is.

I don't know how well the tapes work on minis, but this colt was at the vet Friday (becoming a gelding) and we put him on the scale. He weighs 180 pounds and is only 29". So I think 300 or so for a 34" horse would be pretty normal.

Not a very clear picture but you can see the body type and that he isn't fat.

glenworld.jpg

He is definitely a buckskin. I just love that boy (and his boy!) Mine are all quite chubby and I like em that way for winter. I have increased their hay as the paddock grass is mostly gone. Just don't get him Too Fat.

I tested the weight tapes they weight about 50 pounds heavy. I loaded my mare up and weighed her at the grain elevator to check. The girth length method was a lot closer within 5 pounds.

The formula is: hearthgirth (inches)*heartgirth (inches) * Length (inches)/ 330 = wt in pounds for adult horses (divided by 280 for weanlings).

Hearthgirth is measured around the horse's barrel with the tape placed at the last mane hairs on their withers. Length is measured from point of shoulder to middle of the muscle crease at the rear of the hind quarters (got this information from an equine nutritionist, who got it from Texas A&M information).

I just discovered that I ran the formula wrong for my minis, due to the way I listed my measurements. So, my guys all weigh a little bit more than I thought. But, still less than the weight tapes said.

He dosent look to fat to me.... looks just perfect and happy
yes.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to say he is a smutty buckskin!! One of my FAVORITE colors!

Gage

Latest posts

Back