305 days

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby

Reaction score
My mare Patty is 305 days along. She's been restless, rolls at nite, has dropped so her upper flanks are indented. Just now I saw the foal kicking in her butt muscles, that means its in the canal right. Does it means she's close?

This is my first mini foal so I'm nervous and a bit scared. Wish us luck

Lee

You never know with mares basically. I had one foal at 303 days and missed the foaling. You don't say if this mare has had a foal before and if so did you get the information from the prior owners or is she a maiden mare? My Abby seems to foal anywhere from 316 to 319 days, has done it twice now so it seems that this is her pattern. Some others foal much later. You also don't mention if you mare has a bag yet and if their is any clear sticky liquid which then will turn to a yellow sticky fluid and then you are usually VERY close, the next step is the white sticky fluid. There are so many variables but if you want to be on the safe side, start watching her now.

I dont think the foal movement near her flank is necessarily a reason to believe you are imminent but what about her bag is she making one? Apicture would probably help us tell you better.

All I know is that she did have a foal once before. It died after hitting its head. I don't know how many days she went with that pregnancy. LisaF might know.

She is making a bag and it's getting bigger every day, and has been rolling alot. I haven't tried to get any milk from her yet, might try today.

She's due on June 22 (320 days).

I'm so much more nervous about this foal than I was with my QH mare. She was a pro and had 11 babies. I just want this to be a good experience, especially for Patty. I told her I would help and she could keep this one. I just pray I'm right.

Thanks

Lee

Back