#30 or 10# blade for AMHR halter horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well l must be one of those odd ones
default_laugh.png
but l like a nice close shave so all our solids are done with a # 30..pintos are also done with a 30 except for the white including legs is done with a 15. Only time we've shown with eyelashes missing is because of a shaving accident which does happen believe it or not and depending on how it looks you sometimes need to match the other eye..or not..we've done it both ways..
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I have several horses with NATURAL lacing on their backs. Horses that were born here that are 12-14 years old and have NEVER been clipped in their lives. In MY horses, it is the ones that carry Sabino that also develope lacing. I doubt that the fact that other people clip their horses close gave my horses lacing.
default_laugh.png
Never once did I generalize that ALL lacing is from clipper burn. But, vets have done many-o-talks on the dangers of clipping too close and causing skin damage that "mimics" lacing. And, as a judge seeing a horse that's not exhibited "lacing" while previously showing... makes one pause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several horses with NATURAL lacing on their backs. Horses that were born here that are 12-14 years old and have NEVER been clipped in their lives. In MY horses, it is the ones that carry Sabino that also develope lacing. I doubt that the fact that other people clip their horses close gave my horses lacing.
default_laugh.png
Sadly you know how many more horses would have lacing due to razor burns? Horses that have lacing are known to have have sabino as REO put it. So anyone who goes to a show and sees a horse with lacing do not think the owner is abusing that horse because they are clipping too close cause thats not the case at all.

Also another thing you can look at is horses that had skin issues can also have new hair come in white you can never assume.

Sadly you know how many more horses would have lacing due to razor burns? Horses that have lacing are known to have have sabino as REO put it. So anyone who goes to a show and sees a horse with lacing do not think the owner is abusing that horse because they are clipping too close cause thats not the case at all.

Also another thing you can look at is horses that had skin issues can also have new hair come in white you can never assume.
Actually, there is no direct correlation to Sabino. There is no known genetic and 100% cause for "lacing" - expects (vets, etc) have cited Rain rot, infection, unknown genetics, skin burns and rashes, scarring, etc.

Just a reminder to those new to clipping that it's not just horses with white that sunburn. I have a black gelding that sunburns SO easily. Yes, my black horse sunburns in his mostly shady, tree covered pen.
default_wacko.png
He has no pink skin whatsoever. He burns mostly on his nose and the backs of his ears. As soon as he is clipped he get sunscreen on his nose and ears. Even with daily sunscreen the sun can be pretty nasty to the poor little guy.

Back