3 yr. old gelding mounting mare!!?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
My gelding and little mare had been getting along very well but I have noticed a decline in his manners over the last two months though. I do not turn them out together anymore as he runs her and runs her, biting at her neck and rump. She squeals and kicks up at him. At first..they were fine..just gentle play- I got them both together about 8 months ago from the same breeder. They are in a large paddock with a dividing fence now so they can still see each other etc. She (obviously) seems happier. She is the dominent one and he is the juvenile one BUT..it seems like he is trying to be the dominent one. I gave them a bath today and they were tied near each other..he dropped and kept trying to mount her. I may have the vet to check to see if he still has a testicle?Does this sound like unusual behaviour?I have not had a three year old before and was not sure if he will grow out of this or if he has too much testosterone. He is very strong and muscled and looks like such a little stud. He was gelded at 2 years old apparently.

Thank you!

I do not think that is normal you definitely want to have a vet check to make sure he doesn't have anything left. We have gelded aged horses before and they have never tried to mount another horse after the couple weeks or whatever that it takes to get it out of their system. At least none we have had. Good luck and hopefully it is just him being a turd!
default_laugh.png

I've got a gelding here that will mount the mares and fillys, i've had a few geldings in the past that do the same thing too and even mount my other boys. Royal will be "naughty" too but i think he is just "special". You could have the vet check him, sure would not hurt. Boys will be boys ...

We live not far at all from Amish country, allot of their "geldings" make me wonder if the job was done right or not as allot of them seem more studdy.

Oh good! I do hope he is just being a bit of a lad. I believe it is a quick blood test to check testosterone levels to see if he is a crypt.? I would not worry but have just noticed it is getting more pronounced..not better. It is a shame as he is so playful. I was thinking of getting him a gelding buddy to romp with. He is much grumpier now that he is not turned out with his little mare, that is for sure!He is in my avatar pic.

I have my stud out with my mares for the next few weeks. As the weather is changing I am sure they will cycle. Anyway, when he tries to get naughty the girls get him. They all kick him. I have one mare that oicks fights with him. She will buzz him and kixk out at him just so he will chase her. He has always been a bit naughty mounting his mom but I think it is just play. As for a gelding mounting a mare I have never had one do that. However, I think it is a dominance thing. I had an arab that bred a pony when he was almost 2 and then he was gelded. I never saw him try to mount a mare. Buy then he never was very dominate.

My concern is that he is running her, even when she's fighting him off....... It sure wouldn't hurt to have him checked to make sure he's really fully gelded. Just M.O.

I had a full sized riding horse that did that. Kept all the mares agitated and in heat and my place I boarded him couldn't stand it and told me either sell him or move him but get him out. He would drop and mount the mares and had studly behavior although he was gelded and was not a crypt. My vet at the time said he was "proud cut" but that might be an old term by now, I had this horse in the late 70's. I didn't keep him, I wanted a gelding and he acted like a stud, and he didn't grow out of it. I would ask a vet in your case. I just mentioned the above stuff as I thought it might relate. My boy was 2-3 years old when he was doing this but was gelded much younger. I think gelding procedures have gotten much better than back then. Best wishes it is only a stage and things will get better.

Exactly!! He is bigger and stronger then she is and she is blowing hard and kicking at him and squealing. Just a bot too intense for just play..although, he, of course, loves it all. She is most happy with her own little stall and paddock run but can still see him through the fence.

My concern is that he is running her, even when she's fighting him off....... It sure wouldn't hurt to have him checked to make sure he's really fully gelded. Just M.O.

My gelding did this after he was gelded. I let him out with everyone about 6 weeks afterwards. He ran my pregnant mare even while she was kicking him. Just was an aggresive A-hole. So I took the mare out of the picture and everything is fine. He calmed down. He still tries mouting, but has nothing much happen.
default_wacko.png

But I would get yours checked. He shouldn't be getting more aggressive especially a year after the surgery.

Completely normal
default_smile.png
Geldings will do that, on occasion. Biggest thing to worry about is infection from the mare. Its not common, but possible.

I have a gelding who is almost 15 and was gelded at 6. I was there and saw the vet got everything. He still acts studdy with a new horse,girls get checked over and geldings get chased away. I have one mare that he is "married" to. When she's in heat he will mount her and actually bred her if given the chance. He's never aggressive, I guess some boys just never forget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back