2008 foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
What color do you think he is? His sire is grey and his dam is a grey pinto. His sires dam is cremello. The first pic will be of the foal in question and the second one will be of his sire when he was a newborn.

Pic #1

DSCN1362.jpg

Pic #2

000304041048-1.jpg

The first pic is a little dark, i'll look to see if I have a better pic.

Thanks

Leslie

From the baby pic I'd say silver black and by the older pic I'd say he's also greying.. What color was sire/dam before they greyed? Grey isn't a "color" per say, more of a modifier or blanket that covers a typical coat color (say bay, black or palomino etc)

The first foal pic is the 2008 colt that I don't know the color and the second foal pic is of his sire when sire was a newborn and is now grey.

I hope this doesn't make it more confussing
default_wacko.png
but here is a pic of the same two horses as the bottom pic in my first post. I have no idea what color the dam was before she turned grey.

Elimom.jpg

Sorry, it's not a good pic.

Leslie

Nobody else has any ideas on what color the foal in the top pic is
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
??

Leslie

I wanna say he's just a light silver black going grey (of course not an expert, just a guess) What color was the foal in question's dam before she greyed? or is there a possibility that she too is a silver black (which is often mistaken for grey)?

Hi, I'm not a pro at this, but I'll give it a try:

The sire has to be a grey smokey black, since his dam was a cremello. So I'm thinking the foal got the creme from his dad.

If the horse in the very first pic is the foals dam, she's a silver black, not grey..

So I'm guessing the foal is a smokey silver black. That could explain his light color. If the foals dam isn't grey, he's got a 50% chance of greying.

Hope this is clear.. (btw sorry for my english)

I think the dam of the foal in question is a smokey black. The foal in question "Chip" has sort of a creamy color to him along with some hairs that are a dark color. I know it so had to tell with pics.

Is there a test I could get done to tell me for sure?

Thanks for the help
default_smile.png

Leslie

Is there a test I could get done to tell me for sure?
Yep there is, you could test for the cream gene, silver gene and I believe to see if he is indeed 'black' based you'd want the red factor test or the agouti test (can never remember which).. I believe this site: Animal Genetics charges around $25 for each test, and all you have to do is pull mane/tail roots
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back