2 year old Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have a two year old filly (Birthday girl tomorrow!!) who I would like a critique on. I am hoping to train her how to drive in the next couple years if I ever have time and the money to do so. If there is ever genetic testing I would like to breed her to a nicer stallion (long neck, short back, straight legs, for an all around prospect, but nothing in the next 3-5+ years) But that's nothing more than a dream. I doubt I'll ever breed miniatures ever again because of the issues we've had.

Pictures, I apologize for the grass pictures. She needs her hooves trimmed and I wanted to hide them. My bad. She is also over stretched in the back. My bad. I am taking more pictures tonight.

I am curious as to what you guys see and what you would personally use her for.

She is cowhocked. I am curious as to what you guys think of her back? Kind of a bump there..

023.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this up. Yesterday was her birthday. Super proud of this girl.
default_smile.png

Happy Birthday for yesterday
default_birthday.gif
I think shes gorgeous a very pretty lil girl

Happy Birthday...I love her leg warmers...I also think she is a very pretty girl.

She is cute and not horrible conformation wise -- performance, driving.. Go ahead.

Breeding; reevaluate as she matures and breed her to a stallion that compliments all of her flaws (example: longer neck, refined head, ear set, etc.) -- that is once you consider the pros / cons of breeding vs purchasing; am sure you're aware of all of that though.

I have a few very nice horses and I have a few that while even feeding my eye picks out conformation faults daily -- love them all the same. :) -- Mine are pets.

Years ago I bred my best mare(s) to outside stallions.. Then years later bred my best mare to my best stallion. I have been tossing around the idea of another homebred foal for years, never made it happen though and may not anytime soon. Even though the foal would have a lifelong home regardless. I am leaning more towards purchasing what I want.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! It was actually her dam's 11th birthday today and guess what they got? A VET appointment! They got their teeth floated and sheaths cleaned. Best birthday presents ever. Lmao.

I doubt I'll ever breed her. I'd love to, especially to a nice stallion with a short back, long straight legs, long elegant neck, refined head, etc. or, I'll just buy a mare already bred or a foal. Even better.

Fine for driving, pretty colour, look nice in a cart, no point, as you already know as you are one of the most sensible people I know (!) in breeding her again. If the mare is not as near to perfect as you can get bearing in mind that no horse is perfect, there is no point to expecting a stallion to put the faults right- you can just as easily have ALL the mares faults and ALL the stallion (no horse is perfect) and get a really rubbish foal, when as you well know,. anyone on this board in their right mind, would sell you a nice foal that already has all the points you want, as cheaply as they can. So don't bother breeding, save your money, enjoy your mare and buy something nice when you can...

Fine for driving, pretty colour, look nice in a cart, no point, as you already know as you are one of the most sensible people I know (!) in breeding her again. If the mare is not as near to perfect as you can get bearing in mind that no horse is perfect, there is no point to expecting a stallion to put the faults right- you can just as easily have ALL the mares faults and ALL the stallion (no horse is perfect) and get a really rubbish foal, when as you well know,. anyone on this board in their right mind, would sell you a nice foal that already has all the points you want, as cheaply as they can. So don't bother breeding, save your money, enjoy your mare and buy something nice when you can...
No kidding. Lol. I'd love to buy a cart and a nice harness to start her in the next couple years. Definitely better spent money than a stud fee and the following vet bills.

However, college is putting those goals on hold. (Definitely not complaining.) Just means that she'll be more physically and mentally mature when we start
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back