100% color producing stud horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuffsmom

Reaction score
My FIL has a QH stud, he's a 16 year old grey horse. He a proven 100% color producer. He's sired dozens & dozens of babies, and every baby by him is a colored baby. No sorrels, chestnuts, or bays whatsoever. This horse has been breeding mares since he was 4 years old.

Kind of dumb question, but what makes him this way? I slightly comprehend the double dilutes (cremellos, perlinos), but this one gets me. What gene does he carry that does this...is there a dilute or what? He has had this horse for over 12 years & even the previous owner has said that he always thrown colored babies. I need someone to help me understand!!

He is Grey, what colors does he throw???????? Pintos??????? Is he a pinto himself?? Is he registered QH, and what are the mares he is bred to? All solids??? Or pintos???

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say "color" do you mean pinto or dilute?

What color was the stallion when he was born? Can you see any markings in his skin like minimal pinto or....? Helps if we knew what color his sire and dam were to know what's hidden behind the grey.

Liz (no color expert but I understand a couple of concepts)

I think she's trying to say he only throws 'greys' as if he has Never thrown a chestnunt or bay etc, the only options left are either dilute, black, paint, or grey, going the description, I would say he's throwing 100 greys.

Of which I'll leave someone else to explain, as I am sure I will cobble it all to pieces.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Just a guess, curious to see what 'colored' means in this example, to her... Come back and explain!! Please?!?

If he is Homozygous for Grey he will only throw Greys. Unless he is bred to Grey mares none of the offspring will be H/Z and so the next generation on will go back to being whatever colours are underneath the Grey.

H/Z can be for anything- Grey, Pinto etc and is not unusual.

The place people get confused is with things like Tobiano, where, just because it's Tobiano does not preclude it having other patterns as well, thus a H/Z Tobiano can also have Splash.

H/Z for Black only means you will get Black based foals, not Black foals, and so on.

Oh, no! I'm sorry, all solid colors, no paint patterns on his babies (he has only bred solid mares, however, no paints). He is a solid grey horse.

Buckskins, greys & blacks, roans, palomino, etc...are what I mean by "colored"

ETA: I am not for sure all of the colors he has produced and what he has not produced. I just know that when they sell his breedings, they are 100% guaranteed to a "colored" baby and the horse has not failed once.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be he is hetrozygous gray and homozygous black. He can be tested at UC davis if you want. It is just a hair sample. I did it for my mares. :bgrin

"Color Producer" normally means either the "rarer" colors such as cremello or palomino, or pinto. I've never heard it applied to standard solid colors except a few Arabian stallions that guarantee a black foal.
default_unsure.png
:

That being said,
default_smile.png

if he has produced a palomino as you seem to suggest in your last post, then he carries the red gene and bred to the right mare, he could produce a sorrel/chestnut. If he carries the black gene (sounds like he does) then bred to the right mare he could also produce a bay. And of course, regardless of his color, if bred to the right mare, he could produce a pinto (tabiano, sabino, overo...) foal.

The fact that he has not produced a pinto or chestnut or bay foal (again just as an example) is a result of either not having been bred to a mare that could contribute the genes for those colors (e.g. you said he was never bred to a pinto mare) or chance.
default_wink.png
:

Loren&Rocky are correct - testing would tell you what colors he could produce.
default_yes.gif
:

Here are a few websites that talk about color genetics. There are hundreds more out there! I'm not making any particular recommendation on one over the other...

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/~lvmillon/coatcolor/coatclr3.html

http://www.geocities.com/colorgallery/genetics.html

http://horsecolor.com/

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/colors/index.html

I am now totally at a loss as to what you are saying- bear with me here- he is Grey and he produces...what??

I do not understand- he has to produce colour of some kind, after all, there are no blank horses :lol:

My guess would be he is hetrozygous gray and homozygous black. He can be tested at UC davis if you want. It is just a hair sample. I did it for my mares. :bgrin
He could not be homozygous for black if he is producing palominos....

Gage

LOL ok i have to guess that all this means is this horse does not carry any pinto genes and has not passed on any pintos and only had solid color horses bred to solid color horses.

It is possible he is a grayed out palomino or buckskin and that is what is throwing the creme- I am pretty sure this is a large horse and a QH at that -

I would love to see that add for this horse standing at stud describing his 100 percent color

Actually, they do have the silver gene but it is very rare. You can read about that at equinecolor.com. If this horse is solid and bred to solid mares, I don't understand why they are surprised to have solid foals. That is the way it usually works. :bgrin

LoL, well Lisa, he's located less than an hour from you, so go check him out!! :lol: He is registered as grey. I'm confused even more now!

I do not know exactly what colors that he has produced (just that he will not produce a sorrel, chesnut, or bay), I just know I've heard them use the "100% color producing" term when describing him.

Ok now you got me curious .. PM me where he is and maybe I will go check him out
default_yes.gif
:

Please PM Me too, I would like to get some info on this guy, cause I am lost.

I do not know exactly what colors that he has produced (just that he will not produce a sorrel, chesnut, or bay), I just know I've heard them use the "100% color producing" term when describing him.
Sounds to me like he may be a double dilute. Perhaps he has greyed, but what I am thinking, is that because he is "white"(maybe cremello) they compare his color to that of a "true grey" horse, so consider him grey? Does he have blue eyes??

Ok, I have to wonder if this stallion is a cremello or perlino, and he was registered as a "grey" because until quite recently, AQHA did not accept cremellos or perlinos to be registered. (why, I have no idea).

That would explain why the stallion throws palominos and buckskins but is "white".
default_smile.png

Ok.. he isnt a double dilute at all and isnt white.. he is currently in the graying process and is actually that beautiful steel gray color now

Knowing the horse owner in questions I can now safely say
default_smile.png
This is a gray horse now when they say color producer they mean solid colors(he hasnt had a pinto/paint foal and the buckskin foals he has had have come from the dams carrying the creme gene

Latest posts

Back