Wheee! Driving hours 2023

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About an hour ground driving Peanut since I last posted and several 20 minute sessions ground driving with Oatie the welsh pony, He is 26 and hasn't ground driven since he was about 14. Steering is gone and tires are flat but the brakes work ;).
Glad the brakes work! That's probably the most important part.

Phillippe and I drove for a half hour this afternoon.
We took a doodle down to the low/summer pasture which is closed to the horses until June. The excuse was to "check fences" but we hadn't actually driven down there previously and his royal pudginess actually enjoyed the change of scenery. I ought to haul him out and take some drives elsewhere. It was really fun to have the little bonkey feeling a little more zoomie!

Took Billy out. We went about 3.5 miles and timed around 70 minutes. Saw some scary cows. Pepper went along and did a good job of rushing up behind and jumping out of ditches by him. Interestingly, when she ran ahead of us on the road, he was more focused. I think he liked having something to follow. Gorgeous weather--too pretty not to play outdoors.

Phillippe 30 minutes driving!
Falcor (doesn't count) 30 minutes as well!
Jose (especially doesn't count) 15 minutes introduction
FINALLY all the extra hours at the work assignment are finished. I actually got to get out driving yesterday!
The first one out of the paddock to drive was Phillippe, of course! He's out of donkey jail but in with the one-eyed pony, Willy, who is also quite obese. They're doing well, thankfully and Phillippe has dropped a bit of weight. It was so nice to toodle around with him.
Then I pulled out Falcor for a ground drive with the tire. It's been a challenge to figure out how to help the Hackney pony to understand the expectation of whoa, halt without a groom holding on to him. I found, almost accidentally, that he will stand as though he's with a groom if he's being touched behind the blinders, on the shoulder. So I parked him in between some round bales out in the hay field and stood by his girth and touched him until he felt relaxed and stood calmly, then we walked off. I tried it next at his hind quarter. He'd turn and look at me, but seemed quite content to stand knowing that I was close by. Next I stood farther back and rubbed his hind quarter with the handle of my whip instead of my hand. This was also acceptable. Finally, we finished with no touching at all, just talking to him. I've never had him work out so relaxed! I'm absolutely THRILLED with the change. Monday his cart is to arrive so we'll be putting it to practice next week.

I have this gigantic standardbred gelding, Jose Jalapeno. He's 14, I've had him since he was 2. He's broke to ride, does tricks, absolutely anything I've ever asked of him, but I'm fairly sure he's never driven. The track barn he came from said they couldn't get him to pace, so no racing. I've never seen him pace either. He's all black, except for his band. If you told me he was half Friesian, I'd believe you, just no feathering on his legs. Anyways, biggest heart, love him to bits but I just don't want to ride anymore really. So I thought, I wonder if Jose will drive. He's a STANDARDBRED!!! Yeah, pretty likely he'll drive as long as he understands what I'm asking for. So I put him in a surcingle, a breast collar and long lines last night and he had absolutely no idea what to do! At over 16 hh, he could be intimidating to someone who doesn't have the relationship with him that I do, but I knew he was not going to come into my space. It took him a while of very hard concentration to sort out what I wanted, but eventually he did figure out that he can walk up in front of me and I can guide him with reins to steer. It was short but left on a very positive note and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to do more with my favorite horse again.

Now, bring on the weekend!

FINALLY all the extra hours at the work assignment are finished. I actually got to get out driving yesterday!
The first one out of the paddock to drive was Phillippe, of course! He's out of donkey jail but in with the one-eyed pony, Willy, who is also quite obese. They're doing well, thankfully and Phillippe has dropped a bit of weight. It was so nice to toodle around with him.
Then I pulled out Falcor for a ground drive with the tire. It's been a challenge to figure out how to help the Hackney pony to understand the expectation of whoa, halt without a groom holding on to him. I found, almost accidentally, that he will stand as though he's with a groom if he's being touched behind the blinders, on the shoulder. So I parked him in between some round bales out in the hay field and stood by his girth and touched him until he felt relaxed and stood calmly, then we walked off. I tried it next at his hind quarter. He'd turn and look at me, but seemed quite content to stand knowing that I was close by. Next I stood farther back and rubbed his hind quarter with the handle of my whip instead of my hand. This was also acceptable. Finally, we finished with no touching at all, just talking to him. I've never had him work out so relaxed! I'm absolutely THRILLED with the change. Monday his cart is to arrive so we'll be putting it to practice next week.

I have this gigantic standardbred gelding, Jose Jalapeno. He's 14, I've had him since he was 2. He's broke to ride, does tricks, absolutely anything I've ever asked of him, but I'm fairly sure he's never driven. The track barn he came from said they couldn't get him to pace, so no racing. I've never seen him pace either. He's all black, except for his band. If you told me he was half Friesian, I'd believe you, just no feathering on his legs. Anyways, biggest heart, love him to bits but I just don't want to ride anymore really. So I thought, I wonder if Jose will drive. He's a STANDARDBRED!!! Yeah, pretty likely he'll drive as long as he understands what I'm asking for. So I put him in a surcingle, a breast collar and long lines last night and he had absolutely no idea what to do! At over 16 hh, he could be intimidating to someone who doesn't have the relationship with him that I do, but I knew he was not going to come into my space. It took him a while of very hard concentration to sort out what I wanted, but eventually he did figure out that he can walk up in front of me and I can guide him with reins to steer. It was short but left on a very positive note and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to do more with my favorite horse again.

I loved reading this! What an awesome time you had with all 3.

I absolutely love standardbreds, I grew up around them and owned one. Best dispositions ever.

@Cayuse He's only got the capacity to say "yes" it seems. That horse has done things for me that he rightly had no obligation. His first ever trail ride was through the city of Edmonton with a group for the Wild Pink Yonder. He performed a pre-show for the RCMP musical ride and was an RCMP mount for a parade once (cause he's black!) He's done numerous photo shoots and has 2 calendars and a haunted house event poster dedicated to him. He's been my mounted archery partner, been featured in 4 books by another photographer, dabbled in dressage and open shows, even schooled cross country and cantered through water. His heart is bigger than could possibly fit into his gigantic body and I adore him. As long as I can explain my request to him in a way he'll understand, he'll try his level best for me. Standardbreds are the best! Jose Calendar.jpg

A great weekend to drive!
Saturday I took Phillippe out for a half hour
Ali took Jasmine out for half an hour as well!

Sunday I took Phillippe out for 45 minutes
And then I took Falcor out for 45 minutes of ground driving - but he doesn't count.

I like to be able to post the animals that don't count for mini hours here because my driving club has an "hours on the box seat" program that rewards milestones in driving - 100 hours, 250, 500, 1000 etc. So I can come back here and total up my month's time. All went well. I put extra bells on Phillippe on Sunday and we lost them somewhere on our drive. But I found them out with Falcor. He was back to not interested in standing in the halt, but it's been a fair bit since I practiced that. Not expecting him to retain it all right off the hop. It will come. Oh, I did use the rubber loose ring mullen mouth on him for the first time. He was far more settled in the mouth with it. Not as responsive to it, but less of his nose tucked into his chest. He actually had a couple moments where his neck lowered and he gave me a little swing. That was great!

You sure have a terrific driving club! Has it been in existence for many years?
It is always an experience trying out different bits, horses find a way to tell us what they like!

Maybe it is the season, but ”Phillippe and the Missing Bells”, sounds like a great children’s book. 😂 We are all, of course, kids at heart!😁

@MaryFlora the Alberta Carriage Driving Association started in 1987 (I was 6) and was originally named the Alberta Combined Driving Association. It's got 5 chapters, had 6 but one recently folded. Our chapter is very active and is kind of geared more towards the new/green driver. I really enjoy being involved.

Phillippe and I got out for 30 minutes last night. Just before dark. Cutting it CLOSE!!! We pulled back up to the tie rail just as the sun went past the horizon. He thought it was quite silly of me to want to go out for a drive with such little light. His jingle bells were so merry though. We're expecting snow today! I'm so excited!
Saturday we're taking Jasmine to the Long-Term Care facility for her Christmas visit and then Sunday we're bringing her and Phillippe home to the little hamlet we live in (only 10 minutes away from the farm) and deck them out with their carts and play some Christmas music and drive around for some general merriment. There are 2 churches in the hamelt, and it'll be Sunday. We don't attend either, but I thought it would be respectful to phone both and make sure there weren't any events planned for the afternoon that we would interrupt with our tour. Both were very kind and welcoming. The catholic church has a hotdog fellowship following mass - we're invited to join! And the Lutheran church across the street is finished service at 11:30 and would love us to stop by. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Phillippe and I got out for 30 minutes last night. Just before dark. Cutting it CLOSE!!! We pulled back up to the tie rail just as the sun went past the horizon. He thought it was quite silly of me to want to go out for a drive with such little light. His jingle bells were so merry though. We're expecting snow today! I'm so excited!
Saturday we're taking Jasmine to the Long-Term Care facility for her Christmas visit and then Sunday we're bringing her and Phillippe home to the little hamlet we live in (only 10 minutes away from the farm) and deck them out with their carts and play some Christmas music and drive around for some general merriment. There are 2 churches in the hamelt, and it'll be Sunday. We don't attend either, but I thought it would be respectful to phone both and make sure there weren't any events planned for the afternoon that we would interrupt with our tour. Both were very kind and welcoming. The catholic church has a hotdog fellowship following mass - we're invited to join! And the Lutheran church across the street is finished service at 11:30 and would love us to stop by. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!
Yes, A lot of fun and merriment

Phillippe and Jasmine were out for a half hour today.

There was a big storm last night, although you wouldn't know it to have looked outside this morning.
Jasmine was out for a site visit yesterday at long-term care and that was awesome. After we got home, the weather turned and there was rain and then ice. I thought we were going to have to cancel today's adventures altogether but, this morning, we looked outside and there was frost, but the road, deck and vehicles showed no sign of the freezing rain last night. So I went and picked up the littles and brought them to town. The roads all looked good while I was driving. It took way longer to get them harnessed and ready to go then I'd expected, but that's fine. The sun was shining; Ali put a Christmas playlist together and turned on her speaker. Mom jumped in with Ali and Jasmine and we went down the road. Once we got off the gravel of our neighbourhood and turned onto the main paved road, we found that there was a very thin layer of ice all over the paved surface and it was not safe for the littles to drive down it. So we turned around and did a couple laps around our block before admitting defeat.
Some of our neighbours were out and did get to see our shenanigans and enjoyed it thoroughly!

So unfortunately, a lot of planning and preparation for not much fun. However, our littles did really well! Jasmine was game despite the second passenger and Phillippe was just as brave as his little donkey self could be.
Phillippe Calahoo.jpg

45 minutes for Billy yesterday.
He was a handful at first. We had to ground drive a little. Once we got going he was good, but I let him do a pretty fast trot at first so he could unwind a little. Then we practiced transitions, and Stand . Some cars passed us and he was fine with them. My dog leaping out of the tall dry grass behind him was rather scary, but Billy is getting used to that now and does not react as strongly. He keeps me on the alert and focused! Keeping the correct tension on the bit makes me pay attention. He is an "only" and I've decided he is just spoiled.
We went about 2.3 miles. (My odometer on the sulky needed a new battery.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back