What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rib thing was not very good.

Tonight, it will be ham steak, crock pot mac & cheese, broccoli and applesauce
default_eat.gif

Made clam chowder last night (Boston style). I thicken mine before adding cream because my guy likes his thick but as a child we ate it unthickened and I like it both ways. It turned out great and I will have some for lunch today
default_smile.png
, also sent some in my husbands lunch for him to heat up at work. Tonight.... don't know... maybe hamburgers (one of hubby's favs) or something made with ground beef-maybe grnd beef in mushroom gravy over noodles.

does anyone have a recipe for corn chowder?

Last night we had chicken strips, sweet potatoes and peas, tonight we are have chicken pot pie with buisquick as I have two chicken breasts left over from last night.

I made the ground beef with gravy/noodles and peas with carrots (both home grown) and we had buns with it. My son and his girlfriend came for supper and she liked it so much she asked how I made it. I had forgotten what it was like to not have a million meals worth of experience and recipes to fall back on.

To make corn chowder I cook some onion (chopped) in olive oil in a dutch oven or stock pot just until its clear. Add cubed potatoes, chopped up cooked bacon or ham, and chicken stock (or water with chicken bovril/oxo) then I add a bit of grated carrot (for colour) some kernel corn (I use frozen but if I could get it I would cut fresh corn from the cob) and cook it until the potatoes are tender. Then I add a can of cream corn. I mix milk with corn starch (or flour but then it must cook longer to cook the flour) and add that, stirring until it is thick and hot. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with buttered buns.

oops, edited to add - I also chop celery up to saute with the onions

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for the recipe, I have never made this before, but just put up lots of corn, so thought I would give it a try. I will have to remember when I go shopping to pick up bacon and carrots as I'm all out. Since I'll be using corn on the cob, do you think that five will be enough, as I put them in the freezer five to a bag, or will I need more? Thanks again.

Riverrose, 5 should be lots I would think if they are average sized cobs. Of course it depends on how many you are feeding/how big a pot you are filling. If you make extra you can freeze it before you ad the milk and thickener. BTW, when I say milk I will sometimes use canned milk or cream but if I use milk it must be at least as much milk as stock (preferably more than) or it won't be very creamy like a good chowder should be. You can adjust corn, potato, etc. amounts based on what you have and what you like , more or less is up to your preference.

Jill, what is so bad about that?
default_smile.png
That sounds delicious to me. I will be doing canned soup and sandwiches tonight since we go for lunch on Thursday and I spend the day with my special needs daughter and get home late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think I've been making us too much red meat lately, but have been craving it like crazy for awhile. We usually eat chicken and fish, but lately I think too much red meat.

mmmmm, I like red meat lol. We no longer have any cattle and have to go talk to our neighbours and see if any of them have a dry cow or a steer that they want to sell us. I prefer my red meat grass fed and have heard recently that grass fed may not be hard on our health the way grain fattened is. Seems like a good way to justify my inclination to eat steak often ;) We raise our own chicken (and next year we will do turkeys again as well) so I eat a lot of that, in soups, stews, stirfrys and also roasted and very occasionally pan fried. I only eat fish once a month or so, don't like most of it, just halibut(very $$) and fresh trout really. I can eat others but don't love them, but I do love sea food. Hmmm, this is making me hungry and wish for something more than soup and sandwiches tonight.

I like my homegrown, grass-fed beef way better than anything store bought; I hate buying beef at the store now that I've tasted the homegrown stuff. When we eat out, I almost always eat chicken or fish, cause the beef in restaurants is nothing like ours.

LOL, yep, I have the same problem when it comes to buying chicken. The roaster/fryers in the grocery stores look anorexic to me and have no flavour at all. The beef is pricey and fatty and somehow the flavour is just off, flat or something. Every now and again we get the idea we don't want to raise our own any more since we have no kids at home but one year with out and we can't wait to do it ourselves. I think a couple of cows may be in our future lol. When we eat out its hamburgers, chinese or pizza, if we want a nice dinner we go for sea food (which is still not what it could be - its far better at the coast and fresher- but at least we can't do it better ourselves)

Tonight here, I think it's going to be smoked turkey, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, peas & carrots...

shhh, don't tell my husband you an get smoked turkey. LOL He loves smoked meats and next thing he will want to try smoking one of our chickens. He would have already done it if he had thought of it I'm sure. LOL.

Last night was egg salad with ham sandwiches, no soup. Tonight... not sure yet probably fish with rice and green beans. I had trouble getting anyone to eat green beans until I started sauteing them in olive oil/butter (can't use the butter right off or it will scorch before the beans are ready) with plenty of garlic and then finishing them by pouring some soy sauce on them and steaming them until they are tender. Now beans are a family favourite.

I don't have any idea if this smoked turkey will taste good yet! It just sounded good when I saw it on our favorite store's weekly flyer
default_eat.gif
I'll report back in with the results. What I've got is a package of smoked turkey legs, and a package of boneless smoked turkey breast with sun dried tomatoes. Not sure which it is for tonight... I'll probably let Harvey choose it since it's just a matter of heating it, and I've already picked the sides.

Yes, please do let me know.
default_smile.png
If you enjoy it I will (what can I say I like him to have things he enjoys ;) ) tell him about it and see if he wants to give it a try. A whole bird will take a while but its only one if we don't like it and since it won't be quick it will be a special treat to make if he does.

I made lasagna for a 13 X 9 inch pan and put it into two metal loaf pans. Froze one and baked the other for H. or H. and my son if he comes by. I have been having bits of trouble off and on for the last number of days with my IBS; so am not eating much or right. I just ate a little carton of yogurt (probiotics), but it is already making my insides gurgle and feel off. Sigh!

The smoked turkey legs were REALLY good, but kind of a PITA because I didn't want the skin on mine and wanted to eat it with a fork... so de-skinned and deboned them after warming them. Probably should have done that the other way around. Will eat them again and even though three of us ate from the two legs, there's a lot left over and will be using the bones towards making stock / water / rice to go into the homemade wet dog food. (will take the bones out, but use them to add flavor as it boils).

I made lasagna for a 13 X 9 inch pan and put it into two metal loaf pans. Froze one and baked the other for H. or H. and my son if he comes by. I have been having bits of trouble off and on for the last number of days with my IBS; so am not eating much or right. I just ate a little carton of yogurt (probiotics), but it is already making my insides gurgle and feel off. Sigh!
Lasgana sounds so good to me right now. Have you tried those pill form probiotics, or Bromelain (sp?). It comes from fresh, not canned, pineapple and it really does aid in digestion for me. I also like that Kifer (another sp?!) yogurt type drink which has a lot of additional probiotics in it compared to yogurt ACCORDING to the label -- so who knows. I just know when I have it on hand, I want to drink too much of it because it tastes really good to me
default_smile.png
I have trouble digesting much meat I think, and when I'm on business trips, it's always a lot easier, but I also end up eating a lot of fresh pineapple at those things since they always have it around. When I put it together with why I felt better despite otherwise kinda eating bad on those trips, I looked into pineapple, and found out that it is good for digestion and that you can buy capsules with the Bromelain enzyme in it, which is apparently the reason it helps.

My sister is coming to stay the night tonight, and my husband will be at work, so we'll probably just order in some pizza or something.

Left-overs, I made Rigatoni the other night, and we'll eat that again tonight. Last night we had bacon cheeseburgers.

Latest posts

Back