What's For DINNER Tonight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up making meatball soup, different recipe than last time and he wasn't thrilled, but ate enough to fill up.

tonight we had sirlion steak, broiled with garlic and butter, mashed pototes with onion gravy and of course green beans. Since I have green beans coming out of my ears. Come on corn!

Keeping along the lines of eating light and healthy I have made chicken breast dishes the last two evenings. Today I learned the trick to pounding the chicken breast halves thin enough for the recipes so that me and my counter top are not wearing chicken fragments. I put the chicken on a cutting board, put on an apron, and took it outside and pounded away with the meat tenderizer until the chicken breast pieces had doubled in size.

Tonight was CHICKEN SCHNITZEL and let me tell you...it was super easy and super yummy.

4 boneless chicken breast halves

2 egg whites, slightly beaten

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

2 T. butter

juice of 1 lemon

salt

Pound chicken breasts until very thin and doubled in size.

Dip into egg whites. Place bread crumbs on a plate.

Press both sides of chicken into crumbs.

Melt margarine in non-stick skillet and cook chicken over medium heat 3 minutes on each side.

Remove to serving plate.

Squeeze lemon juice over chicken. Sprinkle with salt. Enjoy!

The other recipe earlier this week was OPEN FACE CHICKEN CORDON BLUE. It was also easy and yummy. I am too sleepy to type it now but will do later. Good night. Sleep tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh, I am LOVING some of what you all are having!!! We normally eat mostly chicken as our meat (most nights), but I have been on a hamburger / beef kick lately, though I know that is not good for us. Tonight, it's going to be something I can make out of the hamburger I mixed up (and we ate from) last night with seasonings... it was cheeseburgers last night, and I bet that's what it is tonight as well. AND I'd be lying if I said I didn't like cheeseburgers. I'm maybe, though, thinking of making them out as patties but serving with a pasta dish and some kind of veggie? Not sure... I already mixed in (yesterday) minced onion, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, a little parsley, and some garlic... So hungry right now, it nearly hurts!
default_eat.gif

Jill,

You could take the seasoned hamburger meat and make a SHEPHERD'S PIE:

2 potatoes, peeled, quartered and boiled

3/4 c. milk (for me almond milk or coconut milk)

1 can mixed vegetables

Mash boiled potatoes with milk, salt, and pepper. Brown the meat and onions; drain off fat. Place meat mixture in a baking dish. Top with the mixed vegetables. Smooth the mashed potatoes over the top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Here is the recipe I used earlier this week for Open Face Chicken Cordon Blue.

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

1 T. butter

1/2 t. pepper

4 slices sandwich sliced ham

4 slices Swiss cheese

Pound chicken to flatten. Melt butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook chick 1 minute on each side. Sprinkle with pepper. Place in a baking pan. Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham. Pour pan drippings over chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Top each piece with a slice of cheese. Cover and bake 5 more minutes.

Vickie, your recipes would be good for me and my IBS since they use egg whites and no real frying. I am going to try them! I use rice milk mostly. I do use some almond milk; but if I use it all the time I seem to have a little trouble with it. I can alternate I guess. I would be interested in seeing a few more of your recipes. Have any for fish? Like cod or whitefish? (I don't like sea bass or orange roughy and some of them-I have picky fish tastes LOL!).

Tonight hubby is bowling for diebetics, its a fund raiser they do once a year. So I'm just fixing sloppy joes for me and Darryl. I do have left over chicken from last night as we had roast chicken and fried egg plant, so tomorrow I'm making chicken and dumplings with potatoes. Sat. I'll be on my own as hubby and Darryl are taking horses to NC so, I will fix what ever I want, yeah, maybe steakums, or my fave which is hamburgers.

Did it again, lost the reply I was typing. Where do my fingers go!?? Anyway, did Vickiegee's recipe for chicken schnitzel using chicken tenders and got lazy and made instant mashed potatoes and canned yellow wax beans. We all ate it up though!

Last night I made the Turkey (ground) pasta soup and had bread and butter with it. That went well too.

Not sure about tomorrow night. Didn't put anything out. Maybe something with ground beef? Hmmm.

Well, this afternoon we ran to town for groceries, so ate at McDonald's; I had a chicken wrap. Tomorrow it'll be soft tacos; we have hamburger, but did have to pick-up lettuce, tomatoes and shells at the store. HOpe I have shredded cheese in the freezer.
default_doh.gif

Well; our Barn Party was yesterday. My son did his pulled pork and it was a SMASH HIT (again). Though this time we had a little left over (hurray!). We got 25 lbs. of pork shoulder, bone in. He did a rub on it that is his mixture (basically McCormick's seasoned salt; he likes their's for the flavor the best; and adds pepper, chili powder, garlic powder and something else, forgot). Then that sits in the fridge for 24 hours (my fridge will smell like the rub for days!). Then he smokes/cooks it in his smoker wrapped in foil and keeps it warm until serving time. Peels off the outside fat and heavy seasoning and takes the bone out and any heavy fat pieces, then chops and pulls it all apart. Puts out BBQ sauce of one or several kinds and buns. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMO! Then we had sweet seasoned baked beans (crockpot); chips and dip, Nacho chips, cookies, candy corn, apple and pumpkin pies, fudge (my hubby's homemade contribution), and "puppy chow" and coffee, bottled water and soda pop. And the minis in their stalls looking on and getting pats and a few treats. Lots of good fellowship.

Had leftovers for supper and I don't know what tonight. Maybe leftover again if H. doesn't mind!

Pizza (grocery store "take and bake" kind) and salad, I think...

Later this week, I want to make a meat loaf, which I've done before but not very well... I'm going to make a thread in case someone can help me out with recipes and directions!

Last night I made one of my faves. Since the kids are all gone, cause they won't eat it.

I made fried chicken livers with onion, served over rice, yum.

Tonight we are having steak, baked potatoe and brocolli.

Tonight... Meatballs, mashed potatoes, corn and gravy (gravy is for hubby, I don't like it).

I made a BIG meatloaf last night (with mashed potatoes and fruit). So I am going to cut up the remained into 'square meatballs' tonight and serve with spaghetti.

SUPER hungry tonight, and instead of meatloaf (bumped to Sunday!), we're having steak, potatoes, and salad. Only another hour and a half before I can dig in... but who's counting the minutes (me!). HUNGRY
default_eat.gif

We had our club's Banquet and meeting today. The meal is at noon. The place we held it served a buffet of tossed salad, italian pasta salad, rolls, mixed vegetable medley, mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, noodles, beef gravy, beef tips, and fried chicken and brownies for dessert. So, we weren't too hungry tonight. I made grilled cheese, potato chips and peaches for supper. Not sure about tomorrow night, as usual I didn't put anything out to thaw!

I enjoy thinking about food so much. I'm not sure if I wish, or wish I didn't, wake up every day and having one of my first thoughts be "what are we going to eat?" (plus "when can I go back to sleep?"). LOL! Definitely a food addict.

"Today" (AM), I'm going to try this quick quiche thing. When my mom makes it, it is perfect and you add flour or bisquick to the quiche mixture, and it makes a very light crust. It's great when my mom makes it, but the texture is not ever right when I do it (or at least not half as good as the texture of her quick quiche). I am going to see if I can do it better this morning. I've been wanting to share it here, and if I could make it like my Mom does, I would have shared it a couple months ago. It is really good. Probably some baby carrots and bread pudding with it.

Dinner, I think, will be steak, baked sweet potatoes, and salad. I haven't made that meatloaf that I have been planning yet. Had to freeze the ground beef but it will be up soon.

Tonight I ended up pulling out some ground beef and cooking it up and adding cubed potatoes, corn, tomato juice, water, salt, pepper, basil, a little sugar and some chili powder. It came out pretty good. I made baking powder biscuits to go with it.

For tomorrow night I put out a couple pork chops for H. and I will have??? (I'm not a big pork fan). Wednesday is grocery day and I have made a two week menu out this time. So hopefully I will thaw things and keep us eating pretty good LOL!

^^^ That sounds good to me!

Tonight, I just am making (a/k/a heating) this store bought "boneless rib shaped": entrée with some baby carrots, green beans, and mashed potatoes. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't ready to eat it right now, though!

That quick quiche thing FINALLY turned out in my oven good enough to pass along, so I will post how I made it tonight or tomorrow, in case anyone else wants to give it a shot. The texture was much better than I'd had before and I used some biscuit / Bisquick mix to make it. It was pretty yummy
default_eat.gif

Latest posts

Back