Robin's Pregnancy Thread MAIDEN :) *Filly! 1-7-13* *New Photos #831*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! My biggest thing is that Batman will have been gone for a year on September 17th or so. I just kind of have this fear that it wasn't actually him and the baby is just REALLY big or even worse, there are twins, and that she isn't actually due till December. I have that in the back of my mind kind of scaring me
default_sad.png

Please try not to panic. Two things - one she wouldn't have ANY milk bag if she wasn't due until December, and two, she is a maiden mare and they are often a bit late with their foalings. Also forget about twins - if she had twins in there she would likely have given birth well before this, twins are rarely carried full term as there just isn't room for them, which is why they dont often survive. As for her size, it is highly possible that she is carrying a lot of protective 'water' anyway. Most first foals are smaller than those born after, the only thing you may well find is that she will be greatful for your help at the birth as things are often a bit of a tight fit for a first foal and a bit of assistance in easing the foal out is very welcome.
default_yes.gif

I appreciate the reassurance
default_smile.png
I'm not really panicking...just kind of have those things in the back of my mind. One thing that I can promise you is that if the time comes that help is needed, I am fully prepared to get in there and help. I even trimmed my fingernails way back, lol. I don't generally panic when it comes to my animals. I get nervous and upset, but I rarely panic. I did some clinical work at a primate research facility, so I do have some experience with injuries and such. I even splinted my young turkey's leg last year when Robin broke into their coop and stepped on him and broke his leg
default_smile.png
I am very confident that I can handle mostly anything that is thrown at me. It really does help to have you guys going through all of this along with me though ;)

Deep breaths!

Firstly it is rare for mares to carry a foal that will be too large for them to deliver, you'll see examples of this with finer boned arab mares going to larger and sometimes heavier stallions, small welshies to bigger stallions and often larger B sized minis covering smaller A sized minis. For an extreme example I know of a british shetland who got covered by a fresian and was fine (it was an oopps baby, too late to abort it when they found out.)

As Anna also suggests she may just carry a lot of fluid, that's what my Fantasy does which is why she always looks like she's got more then one baby onboard.

It's easy for us to forget when we are being paranoid, but 90% of the time these girls are fine, they deliver fine and the oals will be fine. The paranoia is worth it for that 10%
default_wink.png
but it is good to remember the 90%

Love all your animals and how you keep up with her progress. My first foal is due next April and being able to watch your mare's changes is a lot of fun and a grand learning experience for me! I am not looking forward to when my already bad inpatients gets to the hair tearing stage lol
default_smile.png
thanks for all the great posts and pictures you are talking! I have been mostly silently watching this thread though I had posted several days ago. I'll pray your mare foals easily and make you well aware that she is ready so you can be there
default_smile.png
and of course that baby comes soon, thrives, and knows how special and loved he/she is :D

she is progressing slowly but surely
default_smile.png
I know its hard but she will foal when she is ready and we just have to wait.... and wait.... and go crazy LOL

it will be me again in a few days, as I have a mare thats just come to me to foal out LOL thought I was getting away with it this year LOL oh well mega exciting!

I can't get over how beautiful and well your girl is! she is an absoloute credit to you! can't wait to see her bubba!

Jaymie, I am glad that my posts have been helpful to you
default_smile.png
Honestly, that is really why I am doing it! I know that with the last foal that I had here (was my first...mare came to me pregnant...full sized horse), I was desperately searching the internet for photos of progression and while I did find a few, there wasn't much. So, now, with this second one, I want to post all of her progress, in case someone else should be in the same boat
default_smile.png

Cassie, thank you so much for the great compliment! I appreciate it very much! I really do try to do the best that I can for my animals
default_smile.png
I just love this little girl. Once upon a time, I had considered selling her (just didn't do much with her and I felt bad that she got no attention), but then my 2 year old was in the backyard with her and ran up to her and was just loving her. She just stood there and took everything that he did. She is too good of a little gal to give up!

This morning's report:

Robin's tail has a lot less resistance although it is still there when she wants it, lol. Not much progress other than that. Here are pics from this AM!

20120826_071938.jpg

20120826_071916.jpg

20120826_071739.jpg

20120826_071625.jpg

Ya know, I have been sticking close to the house for the past week, because Robin WAS looking like she was gonna go soonish. Now, I am thinking that there is no need to stick close until I see more signs. I realize that the baby will come out when it is done cooking, but I am still pouting...I hate it when I get all excited about something, lol. I need something to keep my mind off of this :p

She needs those teats to seperate, come on Robin look what you're doing to your mum!

Pics from this evening...

DSC_1045.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1030.jpg

And one of Fiona after I called her for dinner ;)

DSC_1018-001.jpg

Oh my oh my Fiona is def something enjoyable to look at love the way her colors don't meet in a straight line more of a splash... Very rare beauty you have there
default_smile.png
I must admit I am slightly jealous ;)

Lovely to see another picture of Fiona - such a great looking horse!

Robin looks great too , moving steadily in the right direction.
default_yes.gif

Hey guys! I am headed to town today and will be gone for most of the day...I don't see anything in these photos that says to me, "don't go!", do you?

20120827_071053.jpg

20120827_071039.jpg

20120827_070930.jpg

20120827_070908.jpg

Oh my! Fiona is absolutely stunning! Look at those feathers, just gorgeous!

Oh my oh my Fiona is def something enjoyable to look at love the way her colors don't meet in a straight line more of a splash.
(Hang on while I put on my colour not-yet-but-hopefully-one-day-guru hat
default_wink.png
)

That will be sabino, very common in the lovely clydies. It causes those lovely big blazes, usually with a gap (see above her eyes) and I believe usually a chin spot. Leg and belly splashes don't have the crisp outlines you find on tobi or splash and can often bleed through the coat causing a roaning effect.

I love how you can just see her black legs poking out over the top of those front stockings!
default_smile.png

Now I better go tell one of my friend's that her regular pinto genetic discussions have begun to sink in
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

Latest posts

Back