pregnancy pics of my mare Star, we are getting close, WE HAVE WAX!! Now we have FOAL :D

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilam

Reaction score
Have you noticed any change at the smell of your pregnant mares urine? How long after these changes have they foaled?

My mares urine smells like sweetish now, haven´t seen her pee so can´t say any other changes. She is like month or two until due.

ASKED FROM PEOPLE AROUND, IT´S NORMAL ON SOME MARES, SO THIS IS OK.

Have you noticed any change at the smell of your pregnant mares urine? How long after these changes have they foaled?

My mares urine smells like sweetish now, haven´t seen her pee so can´t say any other changes. She is like month or two until due.

ASKED FROM PEOPLE AROUND, IT´S NORMAL ON SOME MARES, SO THIS IS OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must admit that I have never noticed this, but my mares do live out 24/7 until a month before they foal. That said, I cannot remember being concious of any urine smell in the past once they are stabled at nights pre foaling. Still I would suppose that pregnancy could cause changes in the make up of any urine passed, but would not be unduly worried unless there was a sudden alteration in the urine itself - suddenly becoming 'thick' or brown coloured.

Good luck - and dont forget to post a thread here with lots of details and pictures so that we can follow your girl with you as she progresses towards foaling.
default_yes.gif

oh well, one who has bred few miniatures said it´s normal to preg mares have weird smell on pee on the end of the pregnancy. Here we keep them stable at nights, cold and windy here in finland, and there is seen wolfs here nearby, they have taken peoples pets on the area too, just dont want to keep minis out at dark time.

Here couple pics, she is like 240 or 270 days preg on these.

Really has no udder, but its easy to get "milk", non sticky, little salty.

s240.JPG

t240.JPG

u240.JPG

m240.JPG

What an attractive little mare - what colour is the foal's sire?

I would not be thinking about getting 'milk' from her udders yet, even if she is at 270 days - some folks (including me) think that to 'break' the natural seals on a mare's teats could lead to infection gaining access. Many folks disagree with this so it really comes down to a personal choice, but as a mare will not be producing 'milk' until possibly the last month before foaling, testing any fluid found in the udder is really a bit pointless until a lot nearer the foaling date. To be honest we have never tested or milked a mare in some 50 years of breeding, preferring to go by the signs given from udder size (large or small), vulva condition and colour, the mare's behaviour and lastly 24 hour watching, and in all that time I think we have only missed approx half a dozen foalings. Mind you we did have a little 'confusion' when, one year, we had 3 mares foal all at the same time! Luckily they managed to have a couple of minutes between each of them and we were able to dash between stables to help each little baby into the world, but not something I would want to repeat very often. LOL!!

This mare has not shown any signs of foaling before, has two foals already. This is first foal after i bought mare. Has foaled a bit early before, 3 weeks before due last time ( 300 days or something, they use 320days i think when they calculate due dates there in denmark where i bought her)

Not testing fluid yet, not taking "samples" yet for now, just that one (i was cleanin her udder when noticed the fluid, came very easily when taking dried dirt off fron between her udder).

Sire is silver dapple / silver black color.

Cheking mare at evenings, taking photos every 10 days until there starts to be ome more changes.

I'm another who hasn't noticed a change in pee, but I'm very excited to see your little lady! Can't wait to see what she produces this year for you. I look forward to more pictures of her as she progresses.

This isn't a crazy idea because I can tell when my mares are in heat by the smell. It is possible what you are noticing is normal but you could contact your vet to be sure. This mare may need a low starch diet.

New pics, 250 (or 280) days. Not mutch changes.

No udder. Only small changes looking from the side or behind. But how that belly kicks!

s250.JPG

t250.JPG

u250.JPG

260 days now.

A litlle different shape of belly at this moment. Very mutch on the right. No udder, so just two bellypics.

s260.JPG

t260 (1).JPG

Sorry but I think that with that tummy development she is much nearer the date of 289 days - adding 9 days to your last post of 280! You should see the start of an udder once she hits the 300 day mark approx so keep watching from now on to give you a clue as to when she might foal.

She's such a lovely mare - cant wait so see what she throws for you.
default_yes.gif

She is something about 260 or 290 days now. Not sure, but think 260 days because she has done her two foals "early", first one about 315 and second about 300. Because there is no any udder development yet I think she could be 260, but another hand, she has not shown any singns of foaling earlier, does not make full udder before foaling. At least hasn´t done before.. So, all is possible, something like 260 and/or 290.

About foal movements on the belly. How far on the front of the tummy foals movements can usually be felt?

I have been looking and feeling movements on this mare´s belly, kicks ans moves can be felt very front, like the front guarter of less is the area i cant find movements of the foal. This is thou only the second foaling on my stall, and the first foal was very guiet on the belly, so i dont have mutch experience.

Any foal movements that I have seen have been around the mare's flank at the rear of her tummy, usually quite low down. Once the foal drops into its final delivery position, I have occasionally noticed a 'hoof' show in the upper flank area nearer the mares hip. This is just from my personal observation with my own mares.

It´s 270 OR 300 days now! New pics, no any dramatic changes. Veeery long time to wait. I have been reading lot of another topics here too, almost like addiction to see how is other mares going.

One pic of my another mare Cindy too, she is not pregnant now, but after a year, I hope i´m waiting her foal to born. She is maiden, only 3 years old.

s270.JPG

t270.JPG

u270.JPG

Cindy klipattuna 24.2.2014   2.JPG

I totally agree with you , It is like an addiction reading everyone else's threads. I have barely done any work at work since I joined.

Your Mares are just lovely, Hope everything goes well for you
default_yes.gif

I think you have a while to go yet - her udder should start to develop properly about a month before she foals so she's progressing nicely at this stage. Love your other mare - have you chosen a stallion for her yet? (am I correct that you are hoping to breed from her in the future, not that she's expecting yet?) Do keep including her in your pictures as we love to see some of the other animals belonging to folks on here - it helps to pass the time while we wait for the foals to arrive, keeps us wake too! LOL!!

Yes, Cindy, the spotted horse is not now bred, will be bred next summer. Stallion is fewspotted leopard, chestnut. Really nice stallion, maybe Star (chestnut, now pregnant mare) will be too bred with that stallion. Stallion´s name is MDM Silverado´s Avatar. Now Star is bregnant for silver black stallion. Maybe I´ll add fotos of stallions here too, some day, not now because I have no pics of them on my computer files yet.

I agree that we do have looong way to go with Star until foal, but it´s worth waiting. I´ll keep on adding pics and writing here, and read how is everyone elses mares going. Addicting indeed.

Yes, we just LOVE seeing the pictures of the current "mommas-to-be" and the future momma's.

And at least ONE of us is SPOT addicted -- so I'm especially looking forward to next season with this pretty girl~!

Latest posts

Back