Pacific Pintos Miniature Horses Foaling Cams

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching your girls for a bit. :) I see you out there cleaning stalls!
default_yes.gif
default_smile.png

Now that was something to see me in my ankle length raincoat!

Hopefully my four legged inspectors had your attention. They sure were in a hurry to get back to their nest.

3.30 and Jewel is doing a lot of belly biting

and now she is rubbing her booty up her hay bucket

Last edited by a moderator:
Jewels is a puzzle to me. I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience?

This mare bagged up on March 3rd, not rock hard but a good 1/2 -3/4 full and had thick (I mean like she was foaling thick) colostrum. I found it when I was just checking her udders, not milking them out, just reaching under to check to see if there was any change. I brought my cupped hand out and there was a drop of amber colored colostrum, the thick, egg-white drying type on my hand.

My past experience was that a mare at this stage would have foaled in 24-72 hours. Jewels is a maiden mare and was just 313 days at that point.

Her udders stayed the same for a week and then on the 11th went back to small udders. She is now 319 days along.

While I am thrilled she is cooking the foal longer, I am confused at this pre-foaling experience.

Normally just before foaling we do see the foal get active, and we have not seen an active foal. I am thinking the foal is not that large, and it has certainly been quiet.

Have any of you had anything like this happen to you?

Thanks Diane. I appreciate your experience. I have never seen anything like this. I will run it by my veterinarian as well.

Just hate to start her first foal and my first foal of the year out bad. I am also concerned that I do not see fetal movement.

Yes I am sending
default_pray.gif
too that she has a safe and easy foaling (and soon) so you can relax.

Hugs renee

I sent my experienced equine veterinarian an email this am, and just received this back:

"Baby is not ready yet. False primary labor. Just have to wait it out. If she starts streaming colostrum, collect it and freeze. She'll probably foal normally. "

I sure hope so......

Diane I really have not seen or felt movement recently. I do see her swishing her tail, biting at her sides, and rubbing on fences and feed buckets.

I have, when I brought her in in the evening, put my hand on her belly when she was eatting to see if I could feel the baby move. I know this is a common time to see and feel movement and I will continue trying that, but so far the answer is no.

I normally see quite a lot of movement in the last 6-12 hours before foaling and then it is quiet until they foal. But I would expect to see more movement at this stage of pregnancy than I am seeing now.

And yes, the date are correct. We ultrasound our mares. I do not think this is a large foal. Just my hunch, but there it is.

I hope so too, I think I would be tempted to get her scanned to see the foals position. JMHO

wow good advice Diane
default_smile.png

Joanne I really hope all your foalings go well
default_smile.png

A friend of mine had a mare in foal, she didn't feel the foal move once, and believe me she was looking LOL and feeling and she had a beautiful healthy colt
default_smile.png

its so hard to know with these tricky mares isn't it... they love to make us worry
default_sad.png

I really hope all goes well with your mare!

Adding my prayers for a smooth and safe delivery for Jewels, but try not to panic - maiden mares do some very odd things on the run up to foaling IMO!

I have learned quite a bit from this conversation. Thanks so much Diane and Joanne! I will be saying extra prayers for Jewel and her unborn foal.

Sending up prayers for her. BTW this year neither of my mares were showing bouncing babies (as in the past years). I only felt movement "feeling" at feeding time and several times got concerned when I was not feeling any. Fast forward to two textbook delivery/healthy foals.

Since we have a rainy day here and the technology, I think I am going to ultrasound her. A live foal and seeing a head would make me feel much more secure.

I will keep you posted.

She has been yawning this am and rubbing her back legs on the feed container. With luck, when I get out there I will see fetal movement...

Half of our mares are bred to Magic Man's Color Prints. He is a black frame sabino stallion, homozygous for black.

Beach Fixed_opt.jpg

And half to Nostalgia's Dirty Money "Monet", a black sabino, splashed white stallion, homozygous for black.

MS-Opt-Front.gif

The new mare "Annie " that we just got is bred to an outside stallion, Blue Chips Lucky Strike Echo, that is a buckskin, homozygous for bay.

Blue Chips Lucky Strike Echo.jpg

Then Dianne, you would probably love to see this ultrasound we took a few years ago. Probably the best full side view of a fetus we have captured in a photo.

49 day old Fetus.jpg

Oh Wow, thank you so much Joanne for sharing, that pics is just amazing. I am glad that you are able to scan Jewels, it will put your mind at rest knowing the foal is in the right position
default_yes.gif

Hi Joanne,

Hoping to hear news. Keeping her in my prayers.

And thanks for posting the US picture. I've never seen one that clearly defined either. Most of the time when the vet is working and she's moving the wand around and looking at the screen and she's saying there's the head, there's the cord... All I see is a fuzzy screen!

I ultrasounded Jewels this after noon and had a foal's eye staring back at me, so great news, the foal is in the head forward position!!!!!
yeah2.gif

The foal started moving around from my invasion of it's sleep and then of course, the belly was moving when I finished.
stickpoke.gif
th_th30228925.gif

I took advantage of her being in the stocks eating to redo her French braid.

Jewels has mushy poops this pm and is flashing her tail. No change in her udders, still small, but thick colostrum. I just have her cam on tonight.

Ultrasounds are really cool. Tell your veterinarian to slow down and point the parts out to you.

Thank you all for your encouragement. I sincerely appreciate it.

Back