On Target Miniatures - foal updates December 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too noticed that picture isn't as sharp this year as in the past. At some point - maybe tonight even - I will pull the "extra" cams and focus on one. But I also see that the input and output through Adobe Flash are very different, and the input is very clear. We try to keep the cobwebs down but it might be time to dust again too.

LOL - I wondered if anyone notices the hay coming down! Having hay drops is so wonderful. We have straw next to the drops and will be dropping that down (flake by flake!) as soon as a mare foals.

Dumb question - what is a hay drop? Does it come directly from your loft? Fun to watch this a.m.

Hay drops: Yes, when we had our barn built we had the builder put some "trap doors" in the loft over selected stalls and areas. When not in use, they can be closed and hay can be stacked on them, but they can also be opened for added ventilation and of course, to drop down hay. We have 4 drops and more stalls than that, so I have gotten pretty good at tossing hay into the correct stall or area, but sometimes I miss! This is also why you will often see horses with hay on their backs. They get used to the falling hay VERY quickly and even learn where to look.

ETA: Sharpness issue: We needed to adjust the sharpness, something we didn't have to do in previous years and I didn't realize that we have to do it every time we shut the cam off, which we have to do every day or so or the delay becomes outrageous. I saved the settings, but I still think it may need to be reset, but at least now I know. Let me know if it looks better to you Aunties!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hay drops are awesome! I have two little barns and have to pack the hay from one to the other, as I have one horse in each barn.

what a fantastic idea!! love it! cams look heaps heaps better yay!
default_smile.png
all is quiet and I can only see Dancer
default_smile.png

Yes, Dancer is now down flat and woke us u AGAIN. Last night she and Toffee took turns so kept us awake a good part of the night.

And just for Cassie, who I know saw it on FB, I may post that story here and a photo of my black eye.

Mary i was about to ask how you and Clyde are going? oh wait we know Clyde is fine... how is your eye? you must be black and brusied everywhere you poor thing!

lets hope neither girl foals until you are fully recovered
default_sad.png

Oh do tell!| what happened Mary? are you both ok? Sending hugs

Cassie I have to take Alby to school, I will be back asap.

I will just copy what I posted on FB yesterday because my right hand is still sore (and taped right now) so it is hard to type:

I learned 2 things today: 1. Level-headedness in a yearling colt/gelding is priceless and 2. Head wounds (human) bleed a LOT. I found Clyde at lunchtime cast against his non-climb fence, with 2 hind feet stuck through the mesh (up to his pasterns) and his front legs under the fence, while he lay immobile. He didn't even struggle as I rushed over to him and started freeing his hind legs. He is BIG (already over 34") and I am tiny (5', 100 lbs) so this wasn't easy. As soon as I freed his hind legs, he would try to get up but was still cast, so would get caught in the fence again. I tried to put my body between his rear legs and the fence and in one struggle up, he managed to kick me in the hand and eye socket at the same time. Blood was EVERYWHERE, but I kept working and eventually (it seemed like forever) I was able to flip him over so he could get up. Doesn't look there is a mark on him, for which I am so thankful for his not struggling when he was caught!! For me, seems to be a very black eye, lots of bruises, blood on clothes and floors, but no broken bones. This boy really is special.

So a day later, Clyde is still fine - and very affectionate - and my eye is very black and right hand is very swollen and bruised. Can't imagine having to help a mare foal with a hand this sore, so hoping the mares hold off til next week. BTW, The bleeding was from a cut above my eye.

Oh No Mary
default_sad.png
I am so glad you found him in time and managed to get him up but so sorry you got hurt in the process, I am sending prayers that you get well soon
default_cheekkiss.gif
Don't worry about your hand cos the girls are going to foal easily this year
default_thumbup.gif

OMG!! Mary you poor thing - and I was praying that things would start getting more peaceful for you! Well done for untangling Clyde and bless him for being so laid back about everything. Hope you get healed up quickly, but as Renee says, thegirls are going to foal easily and smoothly this year so no worries.
default_yes.gif

Try to take things easy for a bit (LOL!! we know you!) sending ((((HUGS))))

Wonder if anyone was watching when I fed this morning and the 3 mares escaped??? I didn't latch the gate (often don't) but this time they took advantage, pulled the gate open and were eating on the front lawn. I left them there as they get let out there often though with the gate at the end of the drive closed. But enough grass I didn't worry. Toffee came back easily but Mira and Sox stayed out until I hayed everyone and grained all but the 3 mares. When Mira came in she was quite indignant that her grain wasn't waiting for her!!! She is so expressive....

My eye is very black, hand is still taped and pretty sore. I think I would heal faster if I could get some sleep so I am going to take a nap.

Yesterday we put deer netting over the area in the fence where Clyde got caught so he shouldn't be able to get a foot through again. I have also been switching him and his Dad so he is on the other side of that same fenceline. Counting the days until Clyde can go out with others. We do put him out with Cowboy, our gelding close to his size.

Oh, Mary, I'm so sorry you got hurt. Clyde sounds amazing and I'm glad he's okay.

No Mary I missed the adventure as I was watching poor Bree. I am glad all the girls came back in unhurt, these minis are such a nightmare for escaping
default_thud.gif

Oh my gosh, Mary! I'm glad it wasn't worse, but still...
default_gaah.gif
My Arab loves getting cast in the fence. I, on the other hand, hate it. Hopefully this will be the only incident for you! I hope you heal quickly and the mares wait for you!

Very sad news about Bree..Anyway, new photos of Dancer from today as I am thinking she will go first. I sure hope she waits a few more days though until Peter and I can both get a bit better. Her udder is small but feels firm and her vulva is fairly red. As I said before, I don't think her tail can get any more relaxed. I am also tossing in a photo of Bunny's rear, because she was right there and I thought Diane might like it, but it is NOT from App!!! And a photo of Mira (Max & Bunny's dam) from yesterday with a 4-Her. I think she is enjoying being a 4-H project.

P1080657.JPG

P1080658.JPG

P1080659.JPG

P1080660.JPG

Mira_jump_4_13.jpg

Latest posts

Back