On Target Miniatures - foal updates December 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gray is Mira, Max and Bunny's dam who is NOT pregnant this year. Dancer has a very small udder but has been uncomfortable for a few days now. She just hit 300 days yesterday and I think she has a while to go.

I was wondering if it might have been our lovely Mira! :D

I see you! Hi
default_saludando.gif

Why foaling season is so stressful:

1. Computer/cam issues: OK, I think I already noted that I had to upgrade my operating system on this computer because I needed to do it for my at home work (which is our household's major source of income) and then the cams went down overnight because I forgot to turn off automatic updates. So computer and cam issues are a major source of stress.

2. Pager issues: Happened to notice all the minis lying down yesterday, including Dancer who was flat out. Since the pager was in my pocket and ON, why wasn't it going off? Turns out the GFI outlet had shut off and (at 10:30 last night) we could not get it to work, so we were stringing an extension cord to a different outlet. Need to check daily to make sure pager box is working.

3. Toffee has decided that she no longer wants me to check her udder, take photos, or generally get anywhere near her. Last year photos were no problem, but don't expect any this year. Vet and farrier within a week, plus the farrier took her breakaway halter off yesterday by mistake didn't help any.

4. This on top of normal stuff like crappy weather (praying we see 50 degrees some day soon), spring mud, and just hit a number of moldy hay bales I need to dump. Anyone know the best way to disinfect your loft to prevent the spread of the mold?

Oh shcks Mary, I am sorry things are making you stressed
default_sad.png
The girls are up on my screen now and I will make sure Cassie or someone else is around if I have to go out.

Toffee wouldn't be Toffee if she wasn't being a princess so try not to worry about pics for now, as long as she is letting you look and touch. I am sure her mood will swing soon as all preggo females do
default_smile.png

I have no idea about the mold, sorry.

Hugs from afar.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Talk about everything going wrong... Maybe it means that foaling will go "textbook"!
default_please.gif
default_pray.gif

As for the mold, a 50% water, 50% bleach solution sprayed and allowed to dry has worked for me. Living in Washington state, I know mold all to well. I hate it. Even good straw molds here... I would love to store a bunch of hay for the winter, but about two months worth is pushing it for me despite having a dry barn. It's so frustrating!

I thought I used bleach before - thank you for that formula!! Sure hope you are right about the textbook foaling..... Udders still seem weeks away from being ready anyway. VERY slow progress, as I think they know my vet is still laid up. Hope to get all these issues ironed out before then.

Disinfected the barn today and hope that is the last of the moldy hay. Mares aren't making much progress so we have been working with the foals a lot and then hooked Rusty to the cart yesterday for the first time. Rusty is Snappy's full brother and Clyde and Bunny's 1/2 brother from 2010, so not quite 3. He was as easy to train as his dad Buckshot and we hope the others will follow suit. The 4-Hers have helped all the way along.

P1080568.JPG

Oh Mary I'm sorry that you have had such a spate of annoying difficulties recently. Loved those pictures of Clyde - he really is absolutely stunning! And what about little Rusty - such a good boy, bless him.
default_yes.gif

With the girls passing their 300 day mark things are beginning to get really exciting - I cant wait to see what Toffee will show us this year, and Dancer is going to have a gorgeous baby for us all to coo over!

Take care and look after yourself.
default_yes.gif

The mares are making such slow progress that it would be frustrating except I think they are waiting for Peter's leg to heal!!! I do have alarms on both of them now, but really, the udders look like they have a LONG way to go. At least I have a track record with Toffee, but with maiden Dancer I am watching her udder thinking it may not get much bigger, but maybe will still fill???? At least she has figured things out and lets me check it and even try to get milk. She is such a wonderful mare I hope I don't regret breeding her. She has been watching the jumping and cart activities and seems to act like she feels left out.

Dancer kept us both up all last night by lying down flat and setting the Equipage off, kicking and looking at her side, and generally acting uncomfortable. As a maiden, her udder is still small but somewhat firm. Her tail has absolutely no resistance to me lifting it. I think she will foal before Toffee (who also has her alarm on) but it would be nice if she held off at least another week. But just in case, I would appreciate any extra eyes tonight. Photos below were taken today. Thanks all!!

Links are: http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=ontarget Dancer is on channel 3, lower left corner.
IPhone & IPad link: http://173.192.34.75...1/playlist.m3u8

P1080589.JPG

P1080591.JPG

P1080590.JPG

P1080593.JPG

P1080594.JPG

I have been watching your mares most every night along with some others as well. I am really enjoying this Mare Stare!!!!! This is my first foaling season to watch, I missed one being born last week by minutes!!! I thought I had time to take my dogs out but the little mare delivered really quick!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I will be lucky and catch one of your girls delivering a cute little foal!!!!
default_yes.gif

I have your girls back up again Mary
default_smile.png
sorry I wasn't around much on the weekend... but keeping an eye on your girls for you...
default_smile.png
just to refresh my memory is it Toffee in the right hand stall? who is she in with?
default_smile.png

The upper two views - channels 1 & 2 - show the same horses, as the stall (Ch 1) leads to the overhang area (ch 2). Sometimes you can even see a horse move from one area to the other. Toffee is the bay & white with mixed & braided tail due April 10. Sox (B/W) and Mira (gray) are dams of Snappy & Bunny and not pregnant this year. Memo to self: Move those two mares soon! Cowboy is the B/W gelding just outside Dancer's stall (Ch #3) who kind of keeps her company until she foals when I will remove the stall screen and close the lower part of the stall door.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Mary lol, watching all these mares I forget whats going on with what barn LOL... :/

Toffee is having a nice rest sternal and has been down for quite some time now... haven't seen Dancer down at all tonight...

Thanks "Aunties" - thanks to your help (and the alarm only going off once) we got a good nights sleep!!!

Mary the cams seem hard to see this year, have you moved them or am I getting old?

I am so glad you got some rest
default_smile.png

I was watching this morning and saw hay being tossed in
default_yes.gif
I wish I could have cams. It's so awesome being able to watch yours.

Latest posts

Back