Maiden mare at 354 days?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
I have a maiden mare that is on day 354 by my calculations. She has been showing signs of foaling for three days now. Is this normal or should I be worried?

What kind of signs?

The big concern would be if her water breaks and nothing happens after that.

MA

What kind of signs?

The big concern would be if her water breaks and nothing happens after that.

MA
She is stretching out, bringing back leg up to her stomach, and yawning. She will do this for a few hours (off and on), and then stop.

[SIZE=14pt]That is the baby pressing and positioning in there... she feels the pressure and the slight pain. hence the yawning, the stretching of the leg out and then back to the belly is trying to help make the babys space more accomodating and take pressure off herself. I would say you are getting close. There are lots of mares going a year even some over a year this time.... just a really WEIRD foaling season![/SIZE]

Lyn

I just had my 3 maidens foal and each one was different. However, my Fairy was very dramatic with showing her discomfort, carried on for weeks and had me all worried but she foaled out no problem.

Are you sure on your dates?

I didn't want my maidens to go too long as I think it can be a tight enough squeeze as it is. My maidens went at 327, 320 and 336, perhaps just a coincidence and she is the biggest mare but the one that went at 320 had by far the easiest birth, couple of pushes and she slid right out.

If in doubt have your vet check her but what you are describing sounds normal........hope she foals soon for you!

Lyn is correct. The signs you describe is the late pregnancy discomfort. Yawning in particular is an indication of discomfort in horses....not just pregnant ones.

All of what you describe means you should be watching her closely.

MA

Latest posts

Back