Another round of foaling or fooling has begun

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
Maiden mare. 302 days from first exposure.

Not eating her hay as vigorously but she ate grain and is drinking.
Restless. Wringing tail on occasion. Biting and kicking stomach(some scratching as well we are treating for mites from the new straw supplier, yay) pushing her but into the wall and salt block holder. Has been looking dropped for a bit foal movement is all bottom of the belly.

But, she has no bag, is loosening along the sides but not super loose at the tail head.

It's also lightly snowing and the weather temp is dropping, tomorrow will be 10°F cooler than today. So it's signs for and signs against so either way, a sleepless night!

Posting to let it out bc my husband and friends are tired of hearing about my pregnant mini 🤣

Attachments

• UBox_2024-02-12_201345_3_118_.mp4
    2.5 MB
  • UBox_IMG_20240212_20114040_3_118_.jpg
    UBox_IMG_20240212_20114040_3_118_.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 0
  • UBox_2024-02-12_201418_3_118_.mp4
    3.3 MB
  • UBox_2024-02-12_201345_3_118_.mp4
    2.5 MB
Last edited:
You are going to be tired of hearing about your pregnant mini before this is over. 🤣 This is all pretty normal for the last 2-3 months of pregnancy. She could go tomorrow....or she could have been bred at the end of her time with the stallion and go almost a full year.

You are going to be tired of hearing about your pregnant mini before this is over. 🤣 This is all pretty normal for the last 2-3 months of pregnancy. She could go tomorrow....or she could have been bred at the end of her time with the stallion and go almost a full year.
And that would be my luck 🤣 I told my friend it's a catch 22, because I either assume she has awhile and relax, and she will drop it early (and I may not be around if she were to need help) or I watch her and stay ready, and she will hold it in for another 6 weeks 😂😭

And that would be my luck 🤣 I told my friend it's a catch 22, because I either assume she has awhile and relax, and she will drop it early (and I may not be around if she were to need help) or I watch her and stay ready, and she will hold it in for another 6 weeks 😂😭
Also, she did not go into labor last night. She's just having fun with me. She did however choose to lay flat out like this one of the times I checked the camera, so I couldn't see if her eyes were closed sleeping, or if anything was going on behind her either lol!

Attachments

• UBox_IMG_20240212_21564747_3_118_.jpg
    UBox_IMG_20240212_21564747_3_118_.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 0
My mare went 362 days I think....so I know. I have more experience with solid broodmares and bigger horses, but I think the maidens are easier in some ways. The pre labor has been a lot more obvious and I could tell an hour or 2 before they went into labor that they were going to. Once they know what's going on they want to be sneaky and hide it from you. You check on a seasoned broodmare and she is sleeping standing up....go into the house for something to drink and use the bathroom and come out to a foal.

My mare went 362 days I think....so I know. I have more experience with solid broodmares and bigger horses, but I think the maidens are easier in some ways. The pre labor has been a lot more obvious and I could tell an hour or 2 before they went into labor that they were going to. Once they know what's going on they want to be sneaky and hide it from you. You check on a seasoned broodmare and she is sleeping standing up....go into the house for something to drink and use the bathroom and come out to a foal.
I completely agree! Now that we've practiced several times with foaling out our mares, we're pretty keen to them to know what night the baby's coming. I can now catch the maidens, but the broodies, they will wait until after I come out to check them and see nothing's happening and go back to bed and drop right away.

I would be ok if she foaled on her own and everything went right, I'm just worried about red bag, or the sac not breaking and losing an otherwise healthy foal because I wasn't there.

I would be ok if she foaled on her own and everything went right, I'm just worried about red bag, or the sac not breaking and losing an otherwise healthy foal because I wasn't there.
I can relate to that! I just posted on the pregnant mare discussion thread. but I will repeat here

My mare has been rolling the last three days, rubbing her butt, tossing head, yawning, up and down and eating like a pig. Her vulva is loose and gapes open when she is rolling. I am just concerned that something could be wrong with the foal and it is unable to get into the birth canal. How long is too long to be in this pre-labor stage? I am a little worried but am giving her until tomorrow before I trailer her into the vet to have her checked. She seems pretty worn (she is a very sensitive mare) out but continues to eat, drink and poop and pee, so waiting until tomorrow. This is my mares 4th foal but I have no other history other than that. Her bag is very small. Has anyone out there had some experience with this? I know the first stage before contractions is only for a few hours to a day, so I am starting to be very concerned. I would appreciate any input. Hoping someone has had some experience with this: We are at 337 days.

Maiden mare. 302 days from first exposure.

Not eating her hay as vigorously but she ate grain and is drinking.
Restless. Wringing tail on occasion. Biting and kicking stomach(some scratching as well we are treating for mites from the new straw supplier, yay) pushing her but into the wall and salt block holder. Has been looking dropped for a bit foal movement is all bottom of the belly.

But, she has no bag, is loosening along the sides but not super loose at the tail head.

It's also lightly snowing and the weather temp is dropping, tomorrow will be 10°F cooler than today. So it's signs for and signs against so either way, a sleepless night!

Posting to let it out bc my husband and friends are tired of hearing about my pregnant mini 🤣
My husband tells me dont read another thing and tell me about it. He said I am obsessing....well maybe that is true :)

Latest posts

Back