Discharge?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it’s not in like the last 90 days it’s ok. She may just be a quick builder. And you are going from which date exactly?

As long as it’s not in like the last 90 days it’s ok. She may just be a quick builder. And you are going from which date exactly?
We don't have an exact cover date, my vet said she would have taken earlier in the time she was with the stud, and she was in heat when she went in so I'm going off the first date of exposure, 4/16/23 just to be ready. I know she could have a long ways to go yet as well. I have nothing to go off of history wise as she's a maiden.

For sure! Pasture breeding dates can be frustrating. Best to be ready early then too late. So I am with you.
She is currently a little sleeping potato, so I'll be getting an hour or two of rest before I check the camera again. She ate her hay and grain with her normal gusto. I have started to wonder if she won't be one to eat right up to labor haha!

Attachments

• UBox_IMG_20240221_22401919_3_118_.jpg
    UBox_IMG_20240221_22401919_3_118_.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 0
She really doesn't have much of a bag at all. If you haven't talked to your vet about it yet, now would be a good time. I'm not sure how it works with horses, but you can buy frozen colostrum for other animals, just in case she doesn't have milk when the foal is born. She could just have a while to go, or not bag up until the last minute. But once the foal is born you have a limited amount of time to get colostrum into that foal. If it takes you 2 days to get ahold of some you missed your window. Your vet can do plasma if you can't get it but I think the real stuff is better.

She really doesn't have much of a bag at all. If you haven't talked to your vet about it yet, now would be a good time. I'm not sure how it works with horses, but you can buy frozen colostrum for other animals, just in case she doesn't have milk when the foal is born. She could just have a while to go, or not bag up until the last minute. But once the foal is born you have a limited amount of time to get colostrum into that foal. If it takes you 2 days to get ahold of some you missed your window. Your vet can do plasma if you can't get it but I think the real stuff is better.
Unfortunately my vet isn't a repro vet so I'm not sure he has access to plasma. There is a repro vet from downstate who did a PPE recently on my warmblood for sale, and I was able to purchase an IGG test from him. He stated if the foal failed he keeps frozen plasma on hand. I will try to look into getting some colostrum from someone. I have a very small amount saved from a ewe that had a live dystocia and deceased twin that I had milked to try and save the live lamb. But it's maybe 2 oz, and idk how long it can stay frozen. I have frozen colostrum from myself from 2 years ago as well 🤣

311 days. Discharge has stopped. Vulva is staying open a tiny bit at the bottoms sometimes and opens up when she brings her leg forward to scratch so I'd say she's pretty loose back there 🤣
Belly has a definite V shape, less belly sticking out from front and back view, and baby has been very active the past 2 days. I was able to get a cute little video today as well. Still no bag.
Yesterday I clipped around her udders and onto her belly, inner legs and the crease, as she is starting to shed like crazy and I want to minimize swallowed hair when baby is rooting around to nurse. Now we just sit and wait for baby to be ready and momma to release her hostage!
How exciting. Thanks for the update. Waiting is hard

I don't think you should give a foal ewe colostrum. At the very least I can't imagine it would help. Hopefully she starts bagging up and you don't need to worry.

What I meant was that I know you can buy it for sheep and cattle.... so I'm assuming they also sell it for horses but I'm not totally sure. Actually, you might look into your local facebook groups or craigslist. Someone local might have some frozen that you can buy if you end up needing it.

What I meant was that I know you can buy it for sheep and cattle.... so I'm assuming they also sell it for horses but I'm not totally sure. Actually, you might look into your local facebook groups or craigslist. Someone local might have some frozen that you can buy if you end up needing it.
I just misread at first.

Cute little mare! Looks like she will be having a present for you soon. I am trimming around the udder also in preparation for my mare's birth. She has at least a month to go. I think my mare will be happy to give birth, since she is suffering from laminitis. I will be able to rest easy when she is feeling back to herself again. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!

Cute little mare! Looks like she will be having a present for you soon. I am trimming around the udder also in preparation for my mare's birth. She has at least a month to go. I think my mare will be happy to give birth, since she is suffering from laminitis. I will be able to rest easy when she is feeling back to herself again. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!
Thank you! I'm just praying it all goes smooth, and trying to prepare for every way it could go wrong!

The picture of the inside of her vulva looked totally normal to me. They are bright pink in there. What you can also watch for, when the cervix starts to dilate, you may well see some "bloody show" which will be some actual blood in the vulva. That can happen days ahead too. I've found the most consistent indicator of labor and delivery remains the udders, and checking the colour and pH of the fluid expressed. When it changes to milky white and the pH drops, delivery is imminent.

The picture of the inside of her vulva looked totally normal to me. They are bright pink in there. What you can also watch for, when the cervix starts to dilate, you may well see some "bloody show" which will be some actual blood in the vulva. That can happen days ahead too. I've found the most consistent indicator of labor and delivery remains the udders, and checking the colour and pH of the fluid expressed. When it changes to milky white and the pH drops, delivery is imminent.
No udder and nothing expressed yet. I think she's just having a lot of fun with me. 😂 I swear she holds all her poop in during the day, just to let it loose in the stall overnight lol! She had a much different attitude this morning, I went to check her udder as I was brushing, per our routine and she stamped and swung her head, and didn't want me looking at her vulva. I was able to scratch her a bit then feel her udders, and snap a photo, nothing showing up yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20240224_152204158.jpg
    PXL_20240224_152204158.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • UBox_IMG_20240224_04341616_3_118_.jpg
    UBox_IMG_20240224_04341616_3_118_.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240224_185904656.jpg
    PXL_20240224_185904656.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back