Laney (*filly* 4/10-Tinkerbelle) *New pics pg 187*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're very welcome, Renee
wub.gif

A filly for Laney - brilliant news!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Hope it works out - I do find that the nail/ring test if often right.
default_yes.gif

Perhaps the new owners of Ricky's Daddy (once he gets sold) will have colt for you in the future?

default_saludando.gif
thanks megan got your xmas card today too....how long did that take to get to australia so i no next time ...how early i need to send cards

You are welcome
default_smile.png
I believe I sent them a week and a half before Christmas. It took so long for them to get to everyone! But tis the season.

I will have to follow Ricky's daddy if he is sold and keep an eye on him. We were hoping for a full sibling to Ricky... or Rhinestone himself. My hubby told me if we are able to find our new home in time and he is still available, Rhinestone can be ours. That would of course mean we would need a few more mares to keep him happy. But for now I am just keeping an eye on him. I am hoping to visit their farm soon. It's been since November since we have been over to say hello. We really enjoy our visits there.

Laney and Ricky are doing great. Ricky must have listened to be very well when I told him to be more active and have more fun. He has been playing and trotting around everyday. He has even started to rear which he has never done. But he is still normally very very well behaved and loving.

I will have to take photos today and post them
yes.gif

Ricky and Laney munching away

DSCN8327.JPG

Laney at 241 days. According to her last foaling she has exactly 100 more days until she foals.

DSCN8277-2.JPG

A rare shot of Laney and Ricky running together.

DSCN8299-2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
aktion033.gif
Adorable as ever
wub.gif
Thanks for the update and you know how we all need our pic fix
laugh.gif

You could try talking to the owners of Rhinestone about how you feel, maybe you could come to an agreement, who knows unless you try.
wub.gif

default_wub.png
:wub great photos of them both..cant believe how clean they are..mine are dreadfull atm so wet and muddy all the time ...I did think about keeping them in until this awfull weather passes but im sure they wouldnt thank me for it
default_no.gif
..doesnt seem to bother them especially Dinky..I think shes forgotten what the sun is and what it feels like to be dry and not have muddy stockings
default_rolleyes.gif

I do want to talk to the owners. You never know.
wink.gif
We are really hoping to be able to move very soon. Houses around here don't sell very quickly so we are looking into renting it out once we find a new place.

Laney seems to be growing. From the front you can tell the most. She has always been so quiet but has started to call to me at the morning feeding time. She has such a deep voice compared to Ricky
laugh.gif

Lindi- it hasn't been very wet here, thankfully. I groom them once it they dry when it does rain. Laney will sometimes let me brush her off without having to tie her.. she seems to like me to get her fur all fluffy again.

Ricky has started to be pretty mouthy with me and will nibble my hands, sleeves, and pockets like he is looking for treats. He has also tried lifting one of his front legs and pawing me, throwing his head up acting a little bratty. I put a halter on him and walked him around to work with him a bit. It has been about 2 weeks since I have done this (holidays and our trip to PA) and he wasn't as good as normal. He put his ears back and nipped at my hand as we walked... and sometimes the side of my leg.

How would you ladies deal with him?

He is going to be gelded this April/May.

After I worked with him I took his halter off and let him run around and got some pictures.

DSCN8351-2.JPG

DSCN8357-2.JPG

Then, a gust of wind blew one of the hay/feed shed's doors open. His little ears perked up and he headed off towards it right away..

DSCN8379.JPG

I knew what he was after so I was right behind him. He hopped right in the shed and overturned the bucket of treats..

DSCN8381.JPG

Only got his teeth on one.. and I ushered him out. He did not want to listen but gave in. The little booger.
rolleyes.gif

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
biggrin.gif
How old is he now Megan ? His behaviour is normal for a young boy, I personally don't do much as they usually grow out of it. If he nips you just squeak or say "ouch" in a firm voice and move away from him.

He's 8 months old. Thats just what I have been doing when he nips me so I'll keep trying. If he is persistent and follows me when I say ouch and move, nipping more- should I try saying ouch and gently moving him away from me?

I have another question about pregnant mares. When you say that their rear end is very soft close to foaling, are you talking about the area around the vulva?

I won a Mother Natures Foal Predictor kit from one of the fishing games here on the LB forum and I am so excited to be able to use it when she is looking really close! She does not like to be touched near her utter and under her belly. I'll need a helper to hold her for me while I get the milk as QUICK as I can lol

The area that becomes soft is all around the tail, where the tail joins and then down beside the tail, it turns to like jello (like my butt)
new_rofl.gif

Try and touch her udder daily and then give her a sugar, she will soon learn to stand for you. I tried touching my girls out in the field yesterday and nearly got my teeth re shaped
rolleyes.gif
but as soon as they move into their foaling stables and are being touched daily they are as good as gold and I can fiddle as much as I want down under, I can sit for ages on an upside down bucket feeling for foal movement but whilst they are out in the field they won't allow any of that, they fidget and sigh, it is so funny
laugh.gif

LOL!! Renee - my girls are just the same!! Out in the field it is "What DO you think you are doing? Clear off!" While once in the stables at night ready for foaling, they take no notice of a gentle WARMED hand feeling their bags.

As Renee said, as mares get pretty close to foaling they usually 'soften' on their hindquarters either side of their spines and round where the tail bone joins the spine. Some mares really 'drop away' here and look awful - skinny like - which is why I like my girls to be well up to weight before they foal! I can still 'feel' the soft spongy area, but I cant actually SEE it. It is often quite difficult to get the mare hind end back up to scratch after foaling if they are allowed to 'drop away' too much (difficult to explain, but some folks think it is quite normal for a mare to look 'skinny' over her rear end as she gets close to foaling, whereas they should take warning that their mare needs more to eat - there is a load of difference between a normal softening and actually losing weight!)

Which is why I like to see brood mares with a good weight on the whole of their toplines and get very upset (and more than a little angry) when I hear people say "well she is heavily in foal so she will be looking a bit pulled down" Grrrrrrrr!!

Well I don't think that will happen to my girls Anna, lol

I am so excited cos I felt Odette's foal moving this evening, she aborted last year so I was quite worried. Matteo came down with me and held her whilst feeding her hay, she fidgeted at first but soon settled. Yippeeeeee

No movement from Britt's baby but the "princess" wouldn't stand still long enough. Lol

I know this is Laney's thread but I just love Ricky, he is such a cutey!
default_wub.png

And yay Renee about Odette!
default_aktion033.gif

12/18
352.jpg

1/6

IMG_8864.jpg

Yep, she is slowly going in the right direction
aktion033.gif

I just wanted to ask for some prayers. My husband's grandmother is not doing very well and is not able to breathe on her own. My MIL and FIL just returned last night from PA and called about 30 minutes ago saying they are on their way back up to PA right now because she is having trouble.

She was very happy so see us all on our visit. She has said she's ready. She was smiling as we said goodbye in the hospital even though we were crying.

If you could please pray for her and our family.

Latest posts

Back