Cinnamon. Rescue mare: **FILLY**!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, we've gotten 50 pounds of a good mare and foal feed into her. I slowly started adding just a wee bit of beet pulp in with it. Don't want her gaining weight too fast, but don't want little one sucking her down to nothing!

She is restless tonight. Pacing, scratching her bottom on the stall, the occasional nip at the belly...but the pH is still high!! Guess the "no sleep" period is about to start for me, huh?

Opinions? Advice? Reassurance? Permission to sleep? Or not?
default_smile.png

wowshe looks soooo much better, you can't see her ribs or backbone anymore
default_thumbup.gif
Well done with her
default_firstprize.gif
I love the new hairdo, does she have some pj's for nighttime?

Can you post some more pics as she is at a funny angle in the last one

Yes some more pics would be useful, but she is looking so much better - well done you!

I didn't realise you had warm enough weather for clipping - but with the internet bringing us all so close, I tend to forget that we live worlds apart and have many different weather systems! LOL!! Put it down to old age!!

Hello all!
default_smile.png
She spent most of last night pacing and pawing. Still nothing! Before I let her out for the day, I'll be testing her milk again, more for reassurance on my part.

It has been pleasantly warm here, but I am in the process of making fleece blankies just in case. Think we may get some rain in the next day or two, and it may bring a little cooler weather with it. I have my patterns cut, just need to sew the outer liner to the fleece and attach the straps. Even have a tiny one in progress for the wee one!

Will definitely take more pics when I go to let her out of her stall! Stay tuned!
default_smile.png

On a different note, the quarter horse down the road was "due" yesterday. She's a predictable mare and usually goes by the book. Guess she's waiting for the rain! Pointy, pointy belly on her. I can almost visualize how baby is sitting in her.

Miss Thing wouldn't be still this morning! Her clip job looks horrid, but blades were getting dull and she was getting antsy. Gotta remember she hadn't been handled too much before we got her. She did wonderful, considering.

Side belly:

20130321_111202-1.jpg

Back view:

20130321_111313-1.jpg

Top (?) View:

20130321_111135.jpg

Right side:

20130321_111415-1.jpg

She's getting there!
default_smile.png
Keeping her fed well, and she's due for her ivermectin worming (following the Safeguard) on Monday. I like to think that was some of the issue.

Anyway, I was mocking up her blankie (you see I still have several minor adjustments before attaching the shell and straps)...do yall see the bald looking area by her mane? It was "there", but became much more noticeable after she was clipped. She has really flaky skin in places, and the guy we got her from said the horses like to chew on each other, and that's what caused that. We decided dude was crazy, and put some medicated shampoo on it.

Does someone have any clue what this could be? The vet will likely stop by in the next day or two to check her out, but was hoping for suggestions.

Snap, forgot to attach the pic!

20130321_130708-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like she has rubbed herself sore, it could be that she put her head under a fence to eat something on the other side and if she was starving doing that often enough would have made her sore. Each country uses different things but I swear by olive oil. I bet if you rubbed that in daily within a week it will be gone. Does she rub at all?

oh and I love her rug
default_thumbup.gif

Have some in the pantry!!! Going to try it out!! She does rub. Seemed to more last night than usual, but I was attributing that to the clipping, and aggravating her dry skin, or whatever it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lice are like flees, if you have a close up look at her now she is clipped you can probably see them if they are there if not get some cellotape (the wide one )

tape....bmp

cut of a few strips, spray a little vinegar and then after a few seconds stick the tape on ad pull it off (like leg waxing) if she has lice they should stick to the tape.

Thanks for the video, she looks great and it looks like your pinto wants to be her friend
default_smile.png

Attachments

• tape....bmp
    87.4 KB · Views: 58
Tape! Who'd have thought? IF that is the case, what is the treatment?

The other two guys are such characters...they thought she was a different horse, without all that hair! She was feeling frisky, amd the other two had a belly full of treats, so they were actually on good behavior. Unsure if Sammy is in it, but you can see his back legs are still not clipped...he's a VIOLENT kicker, lol

If she has lice you can buy a powder to put on all over which is great to use in the winter. You should test her soon so you have time to get rid of them before baby arrives. If she has them you will have to treat all the others and the stalls
default_sad.png

Even the noisy dog
default_new_rofl.gif

I use this to treat for lice on the horses, and its safe for dairy, beef, horses, cats and dogs. Its ProZap insectrin dust: http://www.horsehealthusa.com/details/Prozap-Insectrin-Dust/89-10.html I used to get it at American Livestock, but they went out of business, so I've been having trouble finding a quick source for the livestock dust in the little shaker can (easy to find the spray, large dust containers for dust bags, and the liquid).

Noisy dog!!!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Indeed!! My mother manages to keep every stray that shows up/gets dropped off! We call her the Old River Rescue. She has eight dogs, and only two of them are purebreds. She said the mutts make better dogs anyway, but even the vet has started giving her a discount, because she has so many!

In all seriousness though, I was browsing through pics on my phone, and came across this one. This is where we got Cinnamon from, and her feet looked exactly the same. I didn't have permission to post the picture (I didn't NOT have permission, either!
default_whistling.gif
), but there are no identifiable markings or anything, so I assumed this was okay. If it isn't, please let me know and I'll happily remove it! I just had to shake my head after looking at this. I want to go back and get all the rest of them. Think there were six or seven more mares (all expecting, I'm sure), and a stallion.

20130306_175818_5132-1.jpg

Thank you, Chanda! I went out and looked, and all I'm seeing are huge skin flakes. I will attempt to take a close-up picture of the main flaky area to see what y'all see.

Renee:

This one is for you! This is our other Haflinger, Pat. He's now 8 years old. We got him and Ike from Missouri when they were 2. There was a huge pasture with about forty of them running around. Old cowboy we called "Pappy" pointed and said he wanted "that one", and "that one". They weren't even halter broken. Such willingness to learn, and such sweet dispositions (to people! Other horses are a whole 'nother can of worms...)

IMAG1525.jpg

Back