Are you holding to your comitment to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go, Lyn! And thank you for sharing the whys and pics!

My first Red E colt has an appointment with the vet next week! He's a nice colt that I want to keep (one of the family favorites), but I have 3 nice stallions already and not very many mares so... Naughty (the first Strasslein horse) will become the first Strasslein gelding
default_yes.gif
:

Let me rephrase myself.... It is not the actual posting of the thread, it is the attitude that comes with it. The attitude that one is all knowing and has the RIGHT answer. The condescending attitude that, "how dare someone breed anything but perfection" that many posters imply. Though it is not against any rules to have such an attitude, it is nice to think that this is an ADULT board and posts can be made with some maturity, sensitivity, and humblness. My point and my opinion, everyone here has the right to their opinion, but no one here has the right to judge or make other feel like they are doing wrong by the breed because of what they are doing. Furthermore, I would like to again point out that many people are being quite hypocritical and may not even realize it. For example, "You should not breed unless your choice has the chance of bettering the breed" Yet the person who posts this has their own breeding stallion, who is not perfect, or is breeding a mare who is not perfect, and therefor not bettering the breed by reproducing such horses. And yet somehow, this person makes out that they are making smarter choices then that of the pet quality breeder. The way that this industry defines "the best" is through a proven show career and consistent foal crop. I remember the term "Don't breed until you can afford the best." If this is what people believe than IMO NO ONE should be breeding until they can front the $25,000.00 stud fee of Buckaroo, because based on show career and produce, he is currently the best, weather he is your preferred type or not. Subjective is the key word here, as someone previously mentioned.

OK......I think I know what is confusing people here.

Back a month or so ago a thread was started where people posted their commitment to geld their horses. There were numerous replies with people pledging to geld.

All Lyn asked is who was holding that commitment.

She is not telling anyone to geld horses or either is anyone else. Nobody on this Forum said anyone HAD to geld anything. Things shouldn't get so blown out of proportion.

Does Matt really have a dilemma with reading a thread or is he just bothered by people making statements that have no value? I think there is a difference. Very true, everyone has a right to their opinions...even Matt so why shouldn't he be allowed to state them right on a thread he is reffering to? My opinion is he has no problem in particular in gelding stallions or even the discussion of gelding ...he is mostly saying that he would like to see it educational more than something else. And true, we don't all always get the the same meaning of what someone has written. My understanding is that this part of the forum is for educational purposes and that is what many people join this forum for...is to be educated. If I am wrong, I will apologize to anyone that feels offended by this, right now. I see matt is posting so if what I say is in conflict I will understand .Mary

I am sorry if this offends some people, but it is really bothering me reading all of these threads about gelding... I've read several posts that really have no point other then to say "Yay me! I am gelding my colt." To me it defeats the purpose of this board, you haven't given any helpful or useful information, you haven't posed a question for discussion, you are just bragging about your gelding choice, like it is the ONLY RIGHT choice.
Well, there is an answer to your dilemma Matt and I don't mean this to sound rude. You have a choice whether to read a thread or not read a thread. If it bothers you to read about geldings than don't read the thread. It's all about choices.
default_yes.gif
:

Again, this is a Public Forum (and a great one at that). As long as you follow the rules people can post whatever they like. If people want to post "YAY, my horse turned BLUE" that's their right.

If you feel that people are saying that gelding is the only "right choice" then you have the right to start another thread expressing your opinion. You know the old saying.........everyone has one.

Mary, I am not in this to start a debate with anyone. There are many pointless posts on this Forum that if I started to delete them there would sometimes be nothing left. Pointless posts are always a matter of opinion. People have the right to post whatever they want whether anyone else thinks it's important or not.

If I told you that you didn't have the right to post something because it was meaningless your hair would stand on end. Who am I to tell someone else that their post is meaningless?

Matt or anyone else has the right to post whatever they want. I just know that if a topic bothered me I simply would not read it. I also think that if someone feels so strongly about something they have the right to start a topic just like I posted earlier.

I guess the bottom line is what is pointless to some is not pointless to others.

That's it from me........I think it is pointless myself to make something out of this thread that was not intended. :eek: Again......opinion.......we all have one.

I will go back to comment on Lyn's post, the pic and WHY she decided to geld the colt. I think it is really helpful for folks to do that, to see perhaps, what they should look for when either looking to buy a stallion to breed, or to decide when to geld also. Or even when looking to buy a show horse or something.....

Conformation posts are always interesting, gelding or not, for everyone to observe and learn by.

I kind of understand Matt's point of view, not seeing the other thread, and just sort of 'coming in in the middle of the movie' sort of thing about the gelding.

I do also think it's everyone's choice as to whether to geld or not to geld, but this is a good post for those that maybe were borderline thinking in gelding what they had.... could make a decision either way, as we all do want to breed the best we can.
default_yes.gif
:

LynI can see your reasons and agree with them I think you will have a nice show gelding.

Our stallion Paco will be gelded this winter hoping for next month.

That makes 9 minis 3 of which are geldings
default_yes.gif
: Just what works for us!

No debate was wanted...it was just something to consider. I do think far too much is taken the wrong way and then someone gets upset. I can see what I said was taken as not intended. Nothing said was meant to be meaningless and I do consider what others say if it is for educational purposes. Don't feel bad ....I do understand the rights everyone has and if I come across something in doubt I will usually ask a moderator or ML. Thanks, Mary

Mary, I am not in this to start a debate with anyone. There are many pointless posts on this Forum that if I started to delete them there would sometimes be nothing left. Pointless posts are always a matter of opinion. People have the right to post whatever they want whether anyone else thinks it's important or not.

If I told you that you didn't have the right to post something because it was meaningless your hair would stand on end. Who am I to tell someone else that their post is meaningless?

Matt or anyone else has the right to post whatever they want. I just know that if a topic bothered me I simply would not read it. I also think that if someone feels so strongly about something they have the right to start a topic just like I posted earlier.

I guess the bottom line is what is pointless to some is not pointless to others.

That's it from me........I think it is pointless myself to make something out of this thread that was not intended. :eek: Again......opinion.......we all have one.

I didn't geld my boy this year. I did not breed for next year(a year without babies will be nice). I may be breeding for next year but not sure. If I get another colt then we will see which one is best and keep him a stud and geld the other since we can really only handle one stud here.

I committed to geld but only had 2 fillies this year
default_smile.png
I have to say that our pony gelding paid us back in spades in winning futurity and ammy money. I think a lot dont realize how much money is out there to win with a gelding. I myself had no idea until I got the checks the past few weeks. I purchased him from Getitia since we have a lack of boys here and he has paid back his purchase price x 2 plus some. And hes only a yearling. Please dont take this as bragging but I honestly had no idea you could win that much money! I wonder how many other people do not know? I live for the day I breed my own show gelding. Maybe next year will be the year!

Wow, I am so happy for you and you certainly don't sound like you are bragging but are happy for what you won unexpectedly!
default_yes.gif
: Hope you get your show gelding next year. I am thinking of a gelding for driving even though our mares and stallions have been wonderful fun for driivng......maybe that new little guy I have !! Mary

I committed to geld but only had 2 fillies this year
default_smile.png
I have to say that our pony gelding paid us back in spades in winning futurity and ammy money. I think a lot dont realize how much money is out there to win with a gelding. I myself had no idea until I got the checks the past few weeks. I purchased him from Getitia since we have a lack of boys here and he has paid back his purchase price x 2 plus some. And hes only a yearling. Please dont take this as bragging but I honestly had no idea you could win that much money! I wonder how many other people do not know? I live for the day I breed my own show gelding. Maybe next year will be the year!

I do remember the previous thread, though I don't think I ever got around to posting on it.

We have 4 to geld here, but not until next year. We'll likely have 2 done in the spring & the other 2 in the fall--there's one I want to show as a junior stallion next summer, and then he'll be gelded after that, when the weather cools off again in the fall.

or is he just bothered by people making statements that have no value?
Golly, there's no point in anyone getting their knickers in a knot over that one. :eek: If one got offended by every meaningless or valueless statement on this (or any) forum, one would be offended quite often. This post is more educational than many--Lyn posted photos & gave an explanation of her reasons for gelding one particular colt and some could surely learn from that. Some may not see any opportunity to learn, but others defininately will.

I don't know... I think the people who are proud to own geldings and proud to make geldings will have to crow a lot louder and for a loooooooooooooooong time to make up for all those pet quality stallions who are only stallions because of a person's ego or vanity.

I gelded one of the three colts I had retained from last year (one of the others which is now owned by Lori- Magic; and the other a over yearling colt that I'm retaining though have been asked to sale many times and am not a bit unhappy about the decision of gelding the one from last year; He went to Nationals and went National Champion in all the classes he was in Youth, Ammy and Open (x2)

I have retained 5 colts fromt this year for ME and 2 of those will be show geldings, 2 I'm going to keep intact and show as colts and the 3rd I'm sitting on the third for a bit, he's just real neat but I'm out of room on my show string.

Of the colts I've sold 1/2 were sold on gelding contracts and the others sold as colts in which the owners can do what they wish.

So far looks like I'll have about 5 geldings on my show string next year, and 4 mares and 4 stallions

I meant for this to be an educational thread. I dont have a huge ego or need for people to say "Oh pretty horsie. There were several who told me to leave Traveler a stallion but, I see these flaws and I dont want to pass them on in my effort to improve what I breed.... Thats all. Not telling others you must geld. There were many on the old thread that said they were comitted to gelding what they produce before they get sold into the market place to make more babies. I had two foals, one a filly and this colt. When he dried off, filled out, I saw the things I mentioned here. So, he will be gelded and , hopefully earn his keep as Kays boy did for her.

No attitude here. Just trying to share why I made that decision. Im not a big show barn. I just show a few really good horses that do really well. I have a stallion here that is 3, National All Star Champion in 4 categories, Hall of Fame winner in Roadster and almost Halter..... He is heavier boned and , if he produces heavier boned babies he will also be gelded. His full siblings have sticks for bones......he may be a fluke , we will see.

Im just trying to help people identify some things they might not otherwise consider.I only have the two stallions. My whole herd consists of 10!

Lyn

HI I am somewhat new here hardly post but linger everyday and I really Have learned alot from topics on here...

Lyn , I must say I sat here and looked at that colt and thought WOW what a pretty boy , then re read what you said his faults were and Ya know what I LEARNED SOMETHING again. Ears !! I just would of never thought of looking at the ears!! Thank you SO VERY Much for letting Me learn something new today!!

Jenn

Last edited by a moderator:
The miniature horse industry is plagued by people who just WON'T geld. I think posts like this are trying to help promote the image of GELDING... as some people try to defend their lesser-quality stallions by saying "well I don't care if they have faults, I like them anyway and I have the right to breed them SO THERE."

I am glad to see farms big and small gelding their colts which are nice, but not amazing stallion prospects.

I commend that a LOT! The value of a mini gelding needs to be increased somehow!

Andrea

I am glad to see farms big and small gelding their colts which are nice, but not amazing stallion prospects.

I commend that a LOT! The value of a mini gelding needs to be increased somehow!

Andrea
And even better are those farms that geld there colts that are totally amazing stallion prospects.!!

After all one of the best ways to retain the value of your stallion is to really limit the amount of intact sons he has out there
default_yes.gif
:

I think it's interesting how when a "gelding" post comes up that people who have gelded have to make sure they tell everyone :eek:

Latest posts

Back