Are you holding to your comitment to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's interesting how when a "gelding" post comes up that people who have gelded have to make sure they tell everyone :eek:
And why shouldn't they??? Should we all be ashamed to say we have gelded our colts?

We have a herd of a few less than 30 and exactly half are boys. With the exception of Ice Man all of those boys are geldings, or will be geldings by next year at this time. Geldings are a whole lot of fun and I'm proud of each & every one of ours.

I think it's interesting how when a "gelding" post comes up that people who have gelded have to make sure they tell everyone :eek:
Hmm guess I dont see how it is any different then someone sharing on the forum there mare is in foal, they bought a new stallion, they had a new foal, they went to there first show..

Why should anyone NOT share they had there horses gelded and be PROUD OF IT as equally proud as someone sharing about a new stallion, mare or foal?????

I don't think anyone is denying that geldings make good horses. Of course they do. But a mare can make a good horse too, as can a stallion. Likewise stallions can have just as quality a life, if taken care of properly, as geldings.

[SIZE=14pt]I had my 6 year old and only stallion gelded this year and he was "taken care of properly" when he was a stallion, I do believe he is much happier now though
default_yes.gif
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

I preach often on the board that if your colts dont scream national champion stallion, they should be gelded.
Actually, there are a lot of National Champion stallions who would make outstanding geldings too. I have owned national champion geldings of other breeds...some having garnered a lot of points and championships before being gelded... It is only in this breed, as I see it...that geldings are considcered second-class animals.

I think it's interesting how when a "gelding" post comes up that people who have gelded have to make sure they tell everyone
:bgrin :bgrin YUP...you're right...we do...we just had our four and a half month old colt gelded last Thursday. he was a very nice little colt...and will make an even nicer gelding.

I have always maintained that our Youth are the Future of our, or any breed. Youth geldings should be in high demand, the way I see it. Perhaps some day...they shall be.
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Well I was one, that missed the thread on gelding, but my colt, Hawk will be gelded next weekend, he is an amazing horse, but to many harmones!!!! Also, I have plans to geld every colt my horses produce, unless they schreme STALLION!! Even then, whats wrong with having a National Champion Gelding? :)

Just my few cents worth.

Big fancy show farms do a lot more damage to the population then the backyard breeder who produces one pet quality foal a year, and that is something that you should think about before you criticize breeders who aren't breeding perfection. I am not defending the breeder who breeds 50 mares to a stallion with stifle problems and an overbite, but that type of breeder is not as common as many posts try to make out. You can choose the way you breed, and what you breed to and what you geld, etc. But I read many posts by people promoting gelding and that if you aren't breeding perfection you are doing wrong by the breed, and then I look at YOUR websites and YOUR stallions that you are using for breeding, and guess what? They have faults too! So you aren't doing any more good to the breed then these "backyard" breeders that you speak of. So before you start preaching about gelding, why don't you geld what you have at your farm, because chances are there are many studs better than what you have, so practice what you preach, and go breed to the outside BETTER stallions.
Oh, and the "Buckeroo" thing, well, surprise surprise, there are OTHER nearly perfect stallions out there, guess what, no horse IS perfect. Show me one with nothing wrong with him....?

Personally, I don't like the proportions on some of the "top" stallions, for sure I don't like them for my one little mare that needs more leg and neck for HER proportions.

I seriously think that big fancy show farms do not do "more" damage, it's just different damage. EVERYONE dilutes the value of our horses when they choose a lesser horse for any reason (be it color, height, budget, bloodline, etc.) other than finding the best quality available.

Most big fancy show farms have proven stallions that bring home titles and produce offspring that do. It is the "big mill" type farms that really don't bother to show and sell lots and lots of horses for lower prices based on other criteria that truly do the most damage, in my humble opinion. By that I mean they are not concerned with correctness or give any deformities much of a glance because it has the other criteria they go for such as color, height, or bank on a certain popular bloodline or "fad name". What they then do is to hoodwink others into believing that this is a valid basis on which to sell and create more miniature horses with the same faults but other "virtues" and then people who don't know any better come along and do the same.

I hope I'm being clear, I am tired, and NO my horses are not "PERFECT" because there is no truly perfect horse that I have yet to see. The closest I have seen in photos is Miss Kentucky for a Miniature Horse and truthfully, every Miniature has a LONG way to go to match the proportions of a full sized horse, and even then, I have yet to see the abolutely most perfect full sized horse of any breed.

Having a goal is a good thing. Failing to move forward towards that goal is a bad thing. Failing to learn when we make mistakes is the worst.

Noone wants to tell anyone what to do with their horse, not in so many words. What we'd love to see is truly informed decisions not based on things which have no bearing on soundness, in lieu of a well-conformed and sound horse.

I don't even OWN a stallion, though I am lucky to have a very well-proportioned, sound, and sweet-tempered stallion that is proven to throw show-quality foals available nearby.

Liz M.

I will not only state that yes I did have one of mine gelded last month but will also for education sake tell everyone why I did it.

Dandy is a very well bred little guy but I don't need him as a stallion, I am not a breeder. He has some flaws that I would not pass on to another generation even though he inherited them from his national champion father. He also had a rotten attitude most of the time and that is another thing that he could pass on.

He has already settled down and is beginning to show his true personality for the first time. He is going to make a wonderful driving horse. He has the athletic ability and now that he can concentrate, he is showing us that he really is a sweet guy. He will soon be able to run with the other gelding and not have to be segregated therefore, he will be happier too.

I do have a stallion that I have chosen not to geld at this time. He will be shown in the future and will probably remain a stallion. He has a wonderful personality and willing attitude for anything that I want him to do. His run is in the middle of everything and he never misses anything. His stall is in the middle of the barn and he "visits" with all of the horses over the stall gate all day every day. He is not segregated, hasn't had to be, he wouldn't hurt a fly.

Mary

I think it's interesting how when a "gelding" post comes up that people who have gelded have to make sure they tell everyone
Just because of that little comment, I'm gonna brag on my weanling show gelding (who was, last I checked, number 1 All Star for Area 8 as a JUNIOR STALLION):

pyrolb.jpg

NOPE, he's not perfect, but he's VERY NICE and I've had judges, trainers, big horse people, vets, farriers tell me that he's better than MOST of the Miniature stallions they've ever seen. They figured I'd leave him intact to help better the breed, but there are better out there, I know, I've seen them, but the sad fact is that there are so many out there that have bad proportions and leg deformities which should not be overlooked at any cost.

This colt toes out a bit behind, and I would say he's going to be a tad heavy overall when he's done growing. There's also the fact that he's an unpopular color (major eyeroll here), but you know what? He's the best I've produced and for that reason alone, I can't wait to show him again next year, even if he outgrows his height division as a yearling for A/Unders, we'll just go for the Over division in R.

I am glad that more responsible people with good eye for conformation and a long-term concern about the breed are choosing to geld even their higher quality colts. Even if the ones with the lower quality or outright dwarfs they are breeding are not going to follow suit, we can make a small difference by example and just maybe if a few new people learn something from it, feel good for our breed.

It's not a selfish pride, it's a pride in "YOU/US" for making things better for OUR BREED.

Just go out and show in the gelding divisions and you will see what we're up against. Those horses are AMAZING.

Liz M.

I don't think anyone is denying that geldings make good horses. Of course they do. But a mare can make a good horse too, as can a stallion. Likewise stallions can have just as quality a life, if taken care of properly, as geldings.

Definitely!
default_yes.gif
: I LOVE my mares, and I LOVE my stallions, just as much as I LOVE my geldings. Each individual horse has his or her own special place in my heart. And I work hard to make sure that my stallions are surrounded by the rest of the horses, they can see what's going on and touch noses, and get all the exercise they want. I want all of my horses to be happy.

I think that a large part of this thread, besides those of us who "pledged" to geld, is to help it be known that geldings are really great, and to help promote gelding. Ten to fifteen years ago, there weren't very many miniature geldings to be found-- most were left as stallions, and gelding classes at shows were practically non-existent. Now, WOW! So many more geldings at shows, and so many geldings being led around and shown by children, AND their parents. Children are our future, in both life in general, and in the wonderful world of horses, and geldings are the perfect horses for them (as well as perfect horses for beginners and those of us that have been around the block several times, *ahem*) I still show (and love showing) mares, and stallions, along with geldings, but when my two year old grandson wants to play with a horse, I pull out one of my "been there done that" geldings.
default_wub.png
:

When the topic is asking if you have had your horses gelded I'd find it more strange if people DIDN'T make sure to say so. I mean, lol, what else would they reply to "Are you holding to your comitment to geld?" thread with, comments about what they had for lunch? hehehe. The post is about gelding, if people then post about their geldings how is that worth smacking one's forehead over? When the post is about stallions people "make sure" they tell everyone about their stallions. When the topic is about driving people "make sure" to talk about their horses that are trained to drive. Does this make people who don't drive feel insulted or upset? I should hope not. I honestly don't see why gelding is such a touchy subject. I honestly don't see why promoting the fact that geldings are valuable horses with a purpose is offensive to some people.

Uhmmm looks like this topic has gone more to whar Matt said than the gelding of horses and why it is done to help see that only the best of stallions are used for breeding purposes. What I would like to ask, so many can be educated, is how did these faults come about in the colts that weren't good enough to keep as stallions? Lynn, did either dam or sire have the same faults as this colt had? And if not where do you think they came from within the pedigree? I would also like to ask, if after producing colts [or fillies] that have faults you think are bad enough that you would want to geld them, would you repeat the breeding ? Or would you still use either the dam or sire of the colts for breeding again? Thanks for enlightening us, Mary

Instead of focusing on "why" a colt/stallion should be gelded, more people should recognize that some are and should be gelded simply to make them easier to enjoy and give them more socialized and less frustrated lives. Nothing wrong with gelding some of your best -- and lots of us have without any regrets. The focus on this horse is going to be gelded or was gelded because this that and the other could be nicer is good to a point, but also gives the impression that geldings weren't good enough to cut it as a stallion. This possibily adds to the perception that geldings are second class horses. I do feel that some of my geldings are as nice as my breeding horses. Gelding a stallion need not be a function of his quality at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill, If you noticed, Lynn started this thread and stated WHY she was gelding this colt...not perfect enough was her reason and pointed out the faults. If I want to learn more about the faults and how they come about I think I should have the right to ask. Geesh it seems that some of us can't even post anymore with out some objection to it. If the breed is going to become better don't we need to understand why some of these colts need to be gelded. No one said there is anything wrong with gelding your best but that wasn't the topic nor is it my interest in asking my questions. I fully understand that some are gelded so they make more enjoyable horses but there again this was about gelding because of faults. Oh well guess we should have everyone controled to only say what another thinks should be said. [big sigh] Mary

Instead of focusing on "why" a colt/stallion should be gelded, more people should recognize that some are and should be gelded simply to make them easier to enjoy and give them more socialized and less frustrated lives. Nothing wrong with gelding some of your best -- and lots of us have without any regrets. The focus on this horse is going to be gelded or was gelded because this that and the other could be nicer is good to a point, but also gives the impression that geldings weren't good enough to cut it as a stallion. This possibily adds to the perception that geldings are second class horses. I do feel that some of my geldings are as nice as my breeding horses. Gelding a stallion need not be a function of his quality at all!

Mary --

I know what Lyn said in her original post and I'm not without respect for the points she makes. But since when is the scope of discussion limited to echoing opinions of the original poster? And how boring that would make this place when you think about it!

Additionally, I really do not think Lyn would disagree with me that there's nothing wrong with gelding stallion quality horses and being proud of them and their quality
default_yes.gif
:

As usual, I am only sharing my opinion -- it's the one I know forward and backward :bgrin

Jill

Jill, If you noticed, Lynn started this thread and stated WHY she was gelding this colt...not perfect enough was her reason and pointed out the faults. If I want to learn more about the faults and how they come about I think I should have the right to ask. Geesh it seems that some of us can't even post anymore with out some objection to it. If the breed is going to become better don't we need to understand why some of these colts need to be gelded. No one said there is anything wrong with gelding your best but that wasn't the topic nor is it my interest in asking my questions. I fully understand that some are gelded so they make more enjoyable horses but there again this was about gelding because of faults. Oh well guess we should have everyone controled to only say what another thinks should be said. [big sigh] Mary
(So, what exactly was your point about me expressing my individual opinion??? I did exactly what you're saying people should be able to do...)

And Jill that is what I was trying to point out to you...each should be allowed to say what they want to but you said "the focus" should be only as you see it and that is asking others to limit their view...in my opinion. An of course no one would object to you gelding quality stallions....that is a choice each can make but that is not What I was speaking of. I want to know where those faults come from on those colts that are gelded because they aren't stallion quality and if the person who says they will only breed quality will they repeat the breeding etc. Is that wrong to ask or should I only focus on what you want focused on?

Mary --

I know what Lyn said in her original post and I'm not without respect for the points she makes. But since when is the scope of discussion limited to echoing opinions of the original poster? And how boring that would make this place when you think about it!

Additionally, I really do not think Lyn would disagree with me that there's nothing wrong with gelding stallion quality horses and being proud of them and their quality
default_yes.gif
:

As usual, I am only sharing my opinion -- it's the one I know forward and backward :bgrin

Jill

I am sorry, Mary. The spirit of what I was trying to express did not come to you as I intended it to be read. I was not trying to dictate the thoughts of others. Re-reading what I said, though, I just don't see the room for offense and none was intended.

The answer is to focus on whatever suits you. I don't see where anyone has posted that you only have to focus on what they are talking about. Sometimes people should read the comments more carefully.

And since when has any thread stayed on topic? :lol: Sorry, there is just no rule stating that people cannot post what is on their minds. That is what I tried to get across earlier. To be honest in my years of monitoring this Forum I have never seen anything stay on track. Like I said......it's the nature of a Forum......any Forum. And we have choices whether to ignore or comment.

Mary I look at my horses as show horses first, Breeding stallons should , In my opinion prove themselves first in the show ring. Travelers sire has done that. He has the ears from his grandsire. His slightly short neck just is, neither parent gave that. His croup from his mothers side. Why I still use these parents is because they dont frequently produce these slight imperfedctions..... There are many who would see traveler as stallion material. He is better than many stallions I have seen, However. Since I strive to imrove what I produce each year, and because he is going to be a top show prospect as a gelding. I have elected to geld him. I just wanted to show that some faults that many would not even consider faults can make a difference.In my opinion.

Lyn

Thank you Lynn. I do think that is why pedigree and what is in it can make such a difference in breeding programs...if we know what faults are there and qualities, we have a better chance of getting what we are after. I really enjoy hearing how the breeders who are striving for perfection are going about doing it. Of course we have differences in type but to get that great conformation and disposition can be a challenge. Mary

And I fully agree with what is said below. Nobody said anyone was "off topic" and my focus of wanting to learn by asking my questions didn't need the reply of "we should focus" but if they want to focus on that it certainly should be acceptable. The "we" sounded to me like I shouldn't be asking the questioons I had. Reading the comments more carefully is the key to understanding or misunderstanding what is written!!
default_yes.gif
: Mary

The answer is to focus on whatever suits you. I don't see where anyone has posted that you only have to focus on what they are talking about. Sometimes people should read the comments more carefully.

And since when has any thread stayed on topic? :lol: Sorry, there is just no rule stating that people cannot post what is on their minds. That is what I tried to get across earlier. To be honest in my years of monitoring this Forum I have never seen anything stay on track. Like I said......it's the nature of a Forum......any Forum. And we have choices whether to ignore or comment.

Latest posts

Back