April / Delilah / Vernica's Foaling thread Cam Up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Momma is still hard to get away from babies to take pics. She is still hiding them from me, but I managed one before she jumped back up on the bed. Yes, our spare bed is the bed for our new babies. We have tile floors and she doesn't think it is warm enough for her babies. LOL
332238_320502764640335_100000418411909_1177159_738082488_o1.jpg

The two together are girls and the other is a dapple boy.

Momma is still hard to get away from babies to take pics. She is still hiding them from me, but I managed one before she jumped back up on the bed. Yes, our spare bed is the bed for our new babies. We have tile floors and she doesn't think it is warm enough for her babies. LOL
332238_320502764640335_100000418411909_1177159_738082488_o1.jpg

The two together are girls and the other is a dapple boy.
NAW!!!!! Hazel! they are SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
mega congratulations!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Hazel they are adorable
wub.gif
Thanks for posting. Is this her first litter? My Yorkie was really funny with her first cos she is very attached to me and follows me like a shadow ALL day but when she had her babies she would walk after me then stop and go back to her litter, then come out again etc this would go on for ages until I would sit down near her babies then she was happy.

Just be careful as they get a bit older that they don't fall off the bed.
new_shocked.gif

Congratulations
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Thank you all. This is her third litter so she is a really good momma.
default_yes.gif
I'll keep an eye one them and when they start moving more they will go in a very large kennel on the floor with lots of padding and a heated blanket. That's what I did with the last litter. Then Roxie will be happy as a clam.
default_aktion033.gif

aww congrats on the fur babies! We will need more pictures as they grow
yes.gif

Aww...cuties! I used to groom a long haired dapple boy...he was my favorite doxy boy! SO HANDSOME!

Oh what gorgeous little cuties, bless them.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Clever girl Roxie!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Hopefully she will let you take more pics in a day or two??

How's Delilah progressing? Have you told her about the new babies - maybe it would help her decide to hurry things along a bit?
default_yes.gif

Oh what gorgeous little cuties, bless them.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Clever girl Roxie!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Hopefully she will let you take more pics in a day or two??

How's Delilah progressing? Have you told her about the new babies - maybe it would help her decide to hurry things along a bit?
default_yes.gif
Yes Roxie is clever. sometimes too clever.
default_wub.png

Delilah is doing good. I have felt foal movement and been able to watch it move, but still no udder or other signs of impending birth. She takes a sternal laydown about 6 every morning.
default_aktion033.gif
Been watching her to get used to her routine at night. Of course there may be surprises, but she sleeps quite a bit. She is very upright with her head except when she is sleeping. It is so cute
default_wub.png
. I can glance and know if she is awake or asleep. I'll try to take pics this weekend so ya'll can see. She'snot as big as some of ya'll I've seen.

default_saludando.gif

Yes Roxie is clever. sometimes too clever.
default_wub.png

Delilah is doing good. I have felt foal movement and been able to watch it move, but still no udder or other signs of impending birth. She takes a sternal laydown about 6 every morning.
default_aktion033.gif
Been watching her to get used to her routine at night. Of course there may be surprises, but she sleeps quite a bit. She is very upright with her head except when she is sleeping. It is so cute
default_wub.png
. I can glance and know if she is awake or asleep. I'll try to take pics this weekend so ya'll can see. She'snot as big as some of ya'll I've seen.
default_saludando.gif
she,s having a lay down same time every morning ,,,saffire and sweety did that about a week before thay foaled ohhh she could be close...
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah and she doing lots of neck streching...she close
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

as for her udders she may fill up quick...is she getting soft around her tail and hooha...

Her are the new pics!
default_aktion033.gif
I'm still not seeing much changes in her. No udder Tail head not soft . What are ya'lls opinion after looking at these pics?
default_wacko.png
400441_321969724493639_100000418411909_1182602_25353285_n1.jpg
397261_321970127826932_100000418411909_1182605_1747846655_n1.jpg
386215_321969941160284_100000418411909_1182603_772640125_n1.jpg

She likes to roll so her tail is a mess. Please all opinions are welcome. She is getting 2 lbs of Alfalfa chaffe haye and 1 cup of Miniature horse and pony and 1 cup of Mare and foal. Pus a flake of Timonthy hay a day. The chaffe haye is in a bag, so it is measured by the pound, Is this enough? Or is the foal pulling everything. She is not skinny, but she sure donesn't look like some of yours I've seen with foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hazel I don't feed chaff to preggo mares as it can be dangerous if the foal eats it, you could reduce that down slowly until she is off. Us British don't do cups
wub.gif
it confuses us
laugh.gif
do you know how much in weight of miniature and pony and mare and foal she is getting? One last thing, does she finish all her hay?

She isn't as fat as my girls but that is cos mine are on grass 24/7 so they look like hairy pigs
new_rofl.gif

Hi Eagle, Yes she does finish all of her hay and I'll have to weigh the pellets to see how much they weigh. What would you recomend? I really wish mine had some pasture to graze on, but until spring that is not going to happen. I feel bad for them not having the natural grazing.

I would increase her hay so that she has it to nibble on whenever she wants to, I spread it around in the winter so they have to wander about to get it. Check on the food bag to see how much they recommend, we can't get either of those foods so I am not sure how much they should get per body weight. Once you have weighed the cups we will be able to see if she is getting the correct amount
smile.gif

ok According to the bag directions Delilah should be getting 2lbs. of Miniature horse and pony. I just weighed a cup of it and it weighs 1/2lb, so between that and the mare and foal she is only getting half of what she needs.
default_no.gif
I'll be increasing her pellets as well as her hay. While I was outside I spread another flake abound her outside area.
default_doh.gif
I had just been feeding her like I feed the other two and didn't take into account her being bigger and preggers
default_doh.gif
. I feel so stupid. poor baby. She is such a doll and I haven't been feeding her enough.
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We have all done it Hazel so don't feel bad, just remember to increase it very slowly.

As Renee said, remember to keep food changes or increases slow. I too would get rid of the chaff and feed a lot more hay - remember that horses naturally 'graze' some 20 hours out of the 24 and this is what keeps ulcers at bay. Also you need to get rid of the horse and pony pellets and get her on to the full amount of mare and foal feed. You are going to have a small foal who may well pop its nose/mouth into it's Mommas feed bowl - mare and foal feeds are 'made' so that they are reasonably safe for baby to pick up, your horse and pony pellets will probably be too hard for a foal (mare and foal pellets usually 'disolve' in saliva, so a foal chewing/mouthing on one should not choke, but your normal pony pellets have to be chewed by animals with teeth!)

Dont worry if she starts to put on a little extra weight - a lot of mares can lose a lot of weight at foaling and I, for one, like to build my girls up before they go into labour - yes even those that are fat piggies. LOL!!

So plenty of hay to nibble at, no chaff, a slow reduction of the horse and pony and a slow increase of the mare and foal.
default_yes.gif

Thanks guys
default_cheekkiss.gif
, I gave her a little more mare and foal tonight and another flake of hay. I will decrease the chaffe hay a little at a time while increasing her hay hay. I'll be switching April over slowly also.

Latest posts

Back