Novice question... What is a crusty neck??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Magic

Reaction score
We have had a trainer that shows up from time to time, just to see how we're all doing. Our kids are in school together. Everytime she gets near a mini, she swears it has a crusty neck, and is about to founder. I usually just smile and tell her, that if they were in such bad condition, that our vet, (who is usually here every three mos) or our farrier (who we trust implicitly), would let us know, that I am over feeding them, and putting them at risk.

So.... are their any guidlines for this sort of thing??? Or maybe they are just storing up a winter weight?? (None of them has gained or lost and ounce).

God Bless,

TIA

Lynn W

A crested neck is where the top part of the neck (mane line) flips over. Fat horses tend to get it, or even stallions who breed all the time can tend to get one. For stallions especially its thicker on top where the mane lies because it like protection for them if they are bitten there.

And yes horses with crested necks could cause them to founder so you have to watch out for it.

I do believe she is saying "cresty", right? And that is what the above post describes. Sadly I have a friend who just bought a huge 900 pound, 13hh pony (she thought it was a Fjord cross
rolleyes.gif
) and when I saw it I said, "Whoa, that neck!"...turns out the horse has a problem with it's thyroid. This neck was freakishly thick though...like something you'd see on a Shire stallion (not even remotely like a Fjord LOL!).

All horses have a crest, that's just the topline of the neck. Stallions tend to have what we call a "cresty neck," which means they have a thick, manly-looking topline. Extra fat deposits up there can give that look to a horse who shouldn't have it, and this is also called cresty neck. Different connotation. Broken crest is when the top of the neck can no longer hold up the weight of the mane (usually extreme) and it does indeed flop over. Very unsightly and hard- if not impossible- to correct.

Fat deposits on the neck do not precisely cause a horse to founder as I understand it. They are a symptom, like fat pads on the butt or anywhere else, of a generally obese condition which causes or makes founder much more likely.

Leia

Edited to add: You might point out to her as well how much thicker a mini's mane is than a big horse's. With that much hair rooted to the top of their necks, of COURSE it looks broad and thick!
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone else has addressed the "cresty neck" above, so if you need to be assured of your horse's weight -- please do the touch test on them.

This is how I do it:

Firmly run your hand down the back bone, and also along the side of your horses. If you feel bone without any pressure - they are too thin. If you feel bone with some flesh inbetween, they are good. If you press your fingers and feel NO bone, they are too fat.

During the winter months, you almost have to do the touch test to determine weight because of all their fur.

MA

Thanks so much everyone. And Yes, She says "CRUSTY NECK", which is why .... I couldn't find anything in any horse books or the internet on "crusty neck"!

And thanks for the info on the "touch" test. Right now we have three boys, and all of them, have a bit of fat on top of the neck. Our one mini, you can feel his ribs, but he still has a bit of fat along his top line. And yes, he has a very very heavy mane, that runs down to the top of his legs. And yes, they have the winter woolies, so... it probably just seems worse to her then her full size very thin Mustangs.

Thanks again so much,

God Bless,

Lynn W

Latest posts

Back