Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paintponylvr

LP Painted 2017 foals & News

So sorry you have so many stressors right now. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Beautiful babies.

Chanda - the town of Shelby itself has service, but even on Mom's place there isn't any - at the top of a hill (one of the higher ones in that area). If you ever get to see a map of the various cell service providers in MT - that is the one state in the US that has the least amount of coverage - by any cell company. Quite interesting to see, actually. When I lived there for 2 years - we used 2-way walkie-talkie radios to get in touch if necessary. CB radios were still the rage, too. Don't know if they still have those in use or not. Don't even know if truckers use them any more...

Thanks all for the votes of confidence in what we do. It's been interesting overall with the ponies since 2012 - abut the time I really started purchasing more ponies (I had the chance to do some investing/purchasing and spent, what for us, was a large amount of money procuring some well bred pony mares & our 3rd stallion) AND getting more foals... Using our first (original stallion) in his "golden years" along with a couple of older mares for breeding. I wonder if some cryptorchid issues result from that? No one knows definitively it seems. If Toro's crypt issues come from the mare line - then it came thru his dam Magic sired by another stallion that was used extensively throughout the Shetland world for a while. Yet, I haven't seen many foals of his around in literature at all lately.... so??? Makes you wonder.

To deal with two major issues in the Shetland/Mini world (sticky stifles affecting quite a number of the ponies we still have by our 2nd stallion; cryptorchidism in our original pony breeding line AND in our newest pony line which comes from a VERY popular pony breeding line) has created what for me is an ethical dilemma - and again affects almost our entire current herd of 30 Shetland ponies in one way or another right now. Part of me truly feels that all ponies that are affected OR could pass it on, should be eliminated either directly or at least from producing...

I've completely removed our sales list from our website (for now) and after mentioning treating for lice - had several possible purchasers completely change their minds about setting up ANY future visit dates... sigh.

Chanda - the town of Shelby itself has service, but even on Mom's place there isn't any - at the top of a hill (one of the higher ones in that area). If you ever get to see a map of the various cell service providers in MT - that is the one state in the US that has the least amount of coverage - by any cell company. Quite interesting to see, actually. When I lived there for 2 years - we used 2-way walkie-talkie radios to get in touch if necessary. CB radios were still the rage, too. Don't know if they still have those in use or not. Don't even know if truckers use them any more...

We are in the middle of all the big phone company cell service areas dead zones; but we have a local phone company that does cell service and we have pretty decent coverage from that local company. I'm 50 miles north of the Hi Line and 37 from the nearest town with any services, so very much in the middle of nowhere.