Zimectrin Gold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so for my little stallion that is a year and a half old now...all he has had is SafeGuard because I thought that was all you could use on minis that were under a year. What all is safe for him now. I would like to change it up to prevent immunity.....THANKS!!

I used Safeguard for the first foal worming at 4 weeks (if memory serves me right) and Ivermectin monthly there after until I year old. Then use a regular schedule of every 8 weeks as for an adult mini. Rabbitsfizz can give you a schedule that is very good. I use it. What is important is targeting the parasites at the right time of year (for where you live, it can vary) with the correct drug ie. wormer.

Let me repeat, target the type of parasites at the correct time of year for you, with the correct drug. Safeguard is not effective on most of the parasites horses pick up.

Let me edit, you can do a search and a thousand threads will come up. Read what you want but Rabbits schedule is the best and most effective at the right times in my opinion. I am getting ready to double dose for five days with Safeguard in a couple of weeks for this area. And my vet told me to avoid Zimecterin Gold about 8 years ago for our Quarter Horses so we use Equimax and also avoid Quest.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have only had him on safeguard you will have missed worming him for many of the worms that a horse carries (as mentioned above), so I would advise doing a fecal test before you worm him again. You certainly need an Ivermectin wormer in December for bots (Christmas) plus in March and/or September to 'catch' possible tapeworms.

As has been said above, please avoid Quest and I wouldn't use Zimectin Gold either.

My vet still has me using a rotational program for worming. So I would check with your vet for what should done for your specific setup and area of the country. Now that I'm back down to 4 horses and I just saw a notice that our feed mill does fecal counts for $19 per horse, I'll be doing fecal counts soon and talking my vet about the results.

Perfect. Thanks everyone. This is good to know. We do rotations on the big horses, but I wasn't sure what is safe for the minis. Now I know...no Zimectrin Gold or Quest. Other than that rotate and repeat
default_yes.gif
THANKS

I quit using the zimectrin gold this year. Just too many reports of averse reactions to it. Not occasionally, seems like all the time. I'm not looking for problems so no more for us.

Just de-wormed with zimectrin on the 1st. Boy, do we ever have bots lately too! ugh

I also use strongid and panacur

Bots have been BAD here too. My horses went from nothing to a bunch of bott eggs on them, it seemed like overnight. As soon as they started fuzzing up for winter, BAM bot eggs.

The only concern I have heard with using any of the dewormers with praziquantel in it for tapeworms (either Zimectrin Gold or Equimax), is occasionally a horse is allergic to praziquantel and if pregnant the allergic reaction could cause loss of pregnancy. If your mare has been dewormed with praziquantel in the past with no problems, then it is okay to use when pregnant. It's only the first time that there is a risk for allergic reaction.

I have used Equimax for years with no problem - I think it is the higher percentage of praziquantel in the Zimectrin Gold that lead to adverse effects (sores and ulceration of mouths, throats etc in the worse cases).

What do you recommend/use for tapeworms Kim? Do you prefer the double dose method that some wormers work that way for tapes?

Last edited by a moderator:
For pregnant mares that I didn't know could have praziquantel safely I did the double dose of pyrantel pamoate (I think that's the right one), been a few years now since I had to use it. I typically use Zimectrin Gold when I know they've had it before without problems, I've not had any problems with it. I haven't tried Equimax, but might try it this year. I only deworm once a year for tapeworms as recommended by my vet for this area.

I have always used Z Gold in the fall, even on preggo mares. Have had many healthy foals in the spring over the years.

and I only deworm twice a year, dont rotate dewormers. One for the spring, and one for the fall to cover the bots otherwise its the same each year.

Latest posts

Back