yrling mini lying down, eyes shut, rolls intermittently

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmm

Reaction score
I have a yearling filly who has been lying down just about continually since I noticed her doing this at about 3 p.m. She lies down, rests for about 10 min. and then rolls a couple of times, then lies down again, look at her tummy, etc. Maybe after 30 minutes she will get up and walk about five feet then just drop to the ground, lie down shutting her eyes and it starts again all over. She won't eat.

I called a vet and explained this and they said just to watch her and if she doesn't roll violently to let her "work it out" herself. Is it just me or does it seem like she should be looked at by a vet?

my guess is ulcers but I think the vet needs to take a look . I hope she's getting fluids?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is colic.... by symptoms that you've decribed.

I'd remove her grain/hay. Make up some wet beet pulp for her. Make certain that she's having normal bowel movements. If not you need to get her oiled and get some banamine in her.... FAST!

I know my horses well enough to know when it's simple gas colic verses a possible impaction and I treat them myself. But if your not certain about your filly you ned to get her to the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If she were mine, I know my horses and I would first be walking her around, listerning for gut sounds and taking a temp on her.

If she passed manure and had gut sounds, even if she had a very minimal fever, I would not panic.

HOWEVER, if I took the horse for a walk, and tried all the normal stuff to entice them to produce manure (walk,place in clean stall with clean bedding, tried loading them in the trailer and shutting the door to see if they go), and nothing worked and they still tried to lay down, did not have great gut sounds and possibly a fever, they would be going to the vets office.

I know my horses well and I can tell when its just a little gas or something more serious, my vets know this. I don't ask them what to do, I tell them I need to either get them here or meet them at the clinic, and they always trust my judgement. (and after all, I am the one paying the bill).

With that said, if you have observed long enough and can classify things as "too abnormal to do nothing" get her into the vet.

I think it sounds like a mild case of colic. It can be ulcers but I think she needs to be looked at. I don't know where you are at, but if if is hot things can turn for the worst real fast. Either way she needs fluids and ulcer meds., because colic can cause ulcers.

Good luck and I hope it is nothing serious.

It sounds like colic to me from what you describe. Every horse has a different pain tolerence..some get a slight case of gas colic and act like in violent pain..others can be in a lot of pain and be much more stoic.(sp)

Does she have good guts sounds? Has she passed normal looking and normal amount of manure for her? Is she drinking?

Does she want to eat? Do you have access to grass where you can let her eat a few mouthfuls?

Thanks for the advice. Called vet. Vet arrived and examined her. Gave her a shot of Banamine and told me to walk her to get her to either pass gas or manure. Supposed to call him in two hours if she is not better. We have been walking for well over an hour now. She has peed but no gas and no manure. She is spunky again and hasn't wanted to lie down. I just came in for a potty break and some water and then I am going back out to walk her some more. Thanks again.

Banamine may keep her comfortable and/or mask other symptoms for 7-8 hours, but I'd be checking her through the night in case it wears off or the pain breaks through. Hope she is past the worst, just don't take it for granted.
default_smile.png

Jan

Hope she poops soon

I don't know that it helps but we usually give about 10cc of mineral oil in addition to walking and banamine

When they tube them its alot more than that but I just figure some may help if the vet isn't there

I don't know what state you live in but here in Michigan the weather has been so crazy - hot then cold, hot then cold - I have had three horses with mild colic in the past week because of this. Fortunately it has been easily resolved, but it is scary. I sure hope your girl is feeling better.

How is she today? Foals can crash sooo fast...and I have had two with symptoms similar to your fillies...and both of them had impactions, (one with a twist as well) requiring surgery.
default_sad.png

Hope to hear some good news soon.

Please post an update when you get the chance. I've been sending prayers your way.
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back