Youth showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I have a six year old who is interested in showing, and we're going to let her try it out this year, since I'll have another gelding on the show string. She doesnt have a lot of experience with horses, her older sister shows another of my horses in youth classes and she comes to shows, but hasnt done much but pet the horses and beg to work with them. I think shes old enough this year to understand how to safely handle them, so were going to start working with her with the horses. The horse shes going to show youth is actually being gelded tomorrow. Hes as quiet as a kitten as a stallion, and already has a lot of show experience, so Im confident he will be a nice fit for her. Wish he was a tad shorter for her, but hey, what can you do. My shorter youth horse isnt fond of her at all, the taller boy is pretty unflappable.

We're going to do AMHR with her, since I will already be showing my horses there anyway.

What im wondering is how frowned upon it is the first couple times for an adult to go in the ring with a young youth (shes six)? I know ive seen it done, but not sure how old the kids were, and honestly the rules regarding it, and what judges think of it. I dont expect any issues from the horse, but I dont just want to send her in with no support the first time or two. I don't plan on helping her at all, and no talking, but incase something got out of hand, I would be there to grab a horse, etc.

Next, Ive not watched many youth classes with kids this small. For halter, whats acceptable to wear? Having a hard time finding the types of jackets I wear, and the older teenager I show with wears in small youth sizes.

Any pointers will be very appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not experienced enough to give you much advice, but I'd be inclined to contact the organizers of the shows you plan to go to and ask them how they run youth classes for her age.

As far as clothing, "western wear" is what I've seen the most of at the small shows I go to. I'm sure others will chime in with more advice!

At a large regional AMHR show in our state this past summer, many times I saw adults assisting youngsters in a class, just standing by in case they're needed.

My advice is to ask the show steward before the show. Usually you can contact the steward once you have the show bill and of course, you can ask when you get to the show. I bet that at the regional level and below it would be okay, but always better to ask before taking action. At non-rated shows (if you go for fun and experience), same thing - just ask the steward first.

For halter classes, you'll see a variety of outfits in the ring. Boots are a must and blue jeans are usually a no-no. For youth exhibitors, nice slacks, boots, a belt and tucked in shirt should do just fine.

Best wishes on your 2012 show season!

One of my grandsons started showing at six yrs. old. He practiced alot at home and the horse knew what to do, but the boy was lacking in confidence, so my daughter asked the steward if she could go in the ring, and the steward said yes. She wasn't allowed to touch or coach, but was there just in case of a problem. No problems, and the granson is now 11 and has been showing on his own for a while now. Ask the steward, usually they allow an adult in the ring with a child under 7 if it is their first time or second time. Also we have a partically blind girl that has been showing one of our geldings, and the steward allows an adult in the ring with her to speak to her and offer guidence, since she can't see very well at all.

For the 7 and under you are allowed too but usually that ask you to stand way back and hardly any instruction. It will still help for her if your there.

Here's my granddaughter last year AMHR show. She was 6 and I stood just inside the gate in case there was a problem.Joey&ChipWtrloo.JPG

The outfit is a turtle neck stretch top that I added some studs to the neck; then black jeans and boots.

Not a problem at all. I'm sure the show officials would much rather have someone nearby "just in case" then something happening that could hurt the child, other children or horses.

In the rule book on page 253, Z. "For youth age 7 & under division, spotters are permitted, but are there only for a safety factor and must stand back from the child and horse two paces." I have always wondered just how far "2 paces" are since different people have longer strides than others..but I have shown with my grandson since he was 3 and it is a blast with the little ones, once at the nationals a pigon landed a few feet from him and he dropped the lead and went after it,
default_new_shocked.gif
so believe me when they are little they need a spotter with them at all times. You let her show and have fun and the rewards will be many!!

Danny

Latest posts

Back